Thread: Genesis - Stadthalle, Vienna, 28/08/1978 16mm HD

Genesis - Stadthalle, Vienna, 28/08/1978 16mm HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p86OBkGRP4
    First I've seen of this footage..

Love it. Amazing how this stuff is seeping out after all this time. Excellent work done on it and much appreciated!

Take a trip back......

Nice one thanks

Will watch ASAP. This is very soon after their Knebworth headline slot. Me and a coachload from Bruce's Records attended that legendary midsummer gig.

Edit: Yeah. Watched and was taken immediately back 46 years. Astoundingly fine piece of footage of the band at the height of their post PG period, methinks. The YouTube comments speak volumes.
    Last edited by clivey; 05-05-2024 at 04:40 PM.

Excellent stuff.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Great video capture, great playing...but am I the only one who finds this kind of footage with a bit from this song, a bit from that song, kind of frustrating? Sort of songus interruptus?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Wow - great pro shot footage. Love to see the whole show if it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Great video capture, great playing...but am I the only one who finds this kind of footage with a bit from this song, a bit from that song, kind of frustrating? Sort of songus interruptus?
    No, I find that deeply frustrating as well. Could it be that the complete set is locked away... somewhere (?)

Yeah. It's not something I would watch more than once. I highly doubt there is more, or complete footage. This Vienna reel has been in the bootleg circulation since the 90's. This is a major upgrade in quality, but the same exact clips. A lot of times video journalists go to a show just to record random bits for a TV feature, and this is what they walk out with, or what was best usable.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Yeah. It's not something I would watch more than once. I highly doubt there is more, or complete footage. This Vienna reel has been in the bootleg circulation since the 90's. This is a major upgrade in quality, but the same exact clips. A lot of times video journalists go to a show just to record random bits for a TV feature, and this is what they walk out with, or what was best usable.
    Thanks, that actually makes it less frustrating to think of it as just that!

The thing is ... based on some of the camera angles, there were cameras on the stage at least some of the time. Journos don't generally get to do that...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The thing is ... based on some of the camera angles, there were cameras on the stage at least some of the time. Journos don't generally get to do that...
    From quote directly from a comment by the vids OP.

"This was filmed for Austrian TV, there's also a short interview that I removed as there was a problem with the audio. (I'll upload it later)-As far as I know, this is all the film from this show that remains today, but I could be wrong. (I hope) It's also impossible to know if they filmed the whole show or just some songs. -This video is straight from the original 16mm film, not from a broadcast source, that's why it looks great.
    -I'm not interested in getting money from this, or any other videos from my channel. Seeing people enjoying the video is the best possible reward for me."

That's the way they shoot stuff for TV, like when there's a news piece on a band or a musician on 20/20 or 60 Minutes, or whatever: they shoot a bunch of short clips of songs, because they know they're only gonna use a very small percentage of it in the final piece. Usually, they shoot the first one or two songs of the show, and that's it, so we should be thankful we get stuff scattered throughout the setlist. One thing I liked seeing was Rutherford transitioning from acoustic 12 string to Shergold doubleneck during The Cinema Show.

There is a lovely spot at the 7 minute mark that features the complete opening to The Cinema Show with Mike and Tony playing acoustic 12 strings. This was the first tour for Darryl Steurmer after Hackett left and this song really gives a good look into how his sound was different. Having the first four minutes or so of CS is really nice. Appreciate the work here.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And Then There Were Four...

Drum kits.
    I wonder who the opening act with 2 drummers was?

Phil had shaven by then (he might've let grown back once after that; but not sure) and he still had a set-full of (long) hair, but he was still cool for a while
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Phil had shaven by then (he might've let grown back once after that; but not sure) and he still had a set-full of (long) hair, but he was still cool for a while
    He grew a beard again during the Duke era, then shaved for good.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    He grew a beard again during the Duke era, then shaved for good.
    How dare you forget Buster!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Drum kits.
    There were two percussion area's set up That Phil would use in addition to his proper kit. Hopefully you can see it in this picture.
    14-04-78.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Drum kits.
    These are better but from 1980. The shot I put on there was from Simon's Genesis The Movement site and is in extremely small resolution. It's actually a great shot in full resolution. Let me see if I can dig up the original.

23-05-80-2.jpg23-05-80-1.jpg

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    There were two percussion area's set up That Phil would use in addition to his proper kit. Hopefully you can see it in this picture.
    14-04-78.jpg
    The kit behind Banks is mostly hidden, but the one behind Stuermer looks as large as the one Thompson is playing. (In the video. I left my electron microscope in my other pants)