Thread: Saw Judas Prist & Sabaton Last Night (spoilers)

Saw Judas Prist & Sabaton Last Night (spoilers)

Saw Judas Priest & Sabaton last night at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo Michigan.

Sabaton opened with an hour long set of their historical heavy metal. I love this band and find them very entertaining. They always seem like they are having a fun time on stage and they are experts at working the crowd. They played a cool setlist that featured most of their best-known songs. Priest allowed them to have their full stage set including the huge drum kit on a tank riser.

Priest was next. I last saw them about 3 years ago, and I think last night’s show was better. Rob Halford’s voice was in amazing shape. He was hitting high notes that he could not hit the last time I saw them and especially for 72 years old I thought he was incredible. The whole band was on fire with Richie Faulker especially standing out on guitar. Judas Priest’s new album ranks up with the best they have ever done IMO and they performed several tracks from it. The set list mixed up newer material with deep cuts and hits. Priest are still the kings of metal.

This is definitely a tour worth seeing if it comes to your town. Here are the setlists:

SABATON:

GHOST DIVISION
    THE LAST STAND
    SWEEDISH PAGENS
    THE RED BARON
    BISMARK
    STORM TROOPERS
    CAROLUS REX (SUNG IN SWEEDISH)
    RESIST AND BITE
    ATTACK OF THE DEAD MEN
    PRIMO VICTORIA
    SOLDIER OF HEAVEN
    TO HELL AND BACK

JUDAS PRIEST:

PANIC ATTACK
    YOU’VE GOT ANOTEHR THING COMING
    THE SERPANT AND THE KING (FIRST TIME EVER PERFORMED LIVE)
    BREAKING THE LAW
    SWORD OF DAMOCLES
    LOVE BITES
    DEVIL’S CHILD
    YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE OLD TO BE WISE
    TRIAL BY FIRE
    SINNER
    TURBO LOVER
    INVINCIBLE SHEILD
    VICTIM OF CHANGES
    ONE FOR THE ROAD
    THE GREEN MANALISHI WITH THE TWO-PRONGED CROWN
    PAINKILLER

ENCORE:

ELECTRIC EYE
    HELL BENT FOR LEATHER
    LIVING AFTER MIDNIGHT

^^ Halford's voice has always been unique. Able to sing high without singing falsetto. Not singing falsetto means not straining his voice. Geddy Lee by contrast abused the hell out of his voice in the 70s. And Thijs van Leer can no longer hit the falsetto notes in Hocus Pocus.
    Last edited by progmatist; 05-05-2024 at 02:24 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm no vocal coach, but I think falsetto saves your voice rather than trying to hit the notes naturally. Just try it yourself! I always admired those that could blend falsetto and natural tones seamlessly. Paul McCartney is one and, IMHO, the best. Todd Rundgren, Daryl Hall and Pete Cetera also bear mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I'm no vocal coach, but I think falsetto saves your voice rather than trying to hit the notes naturally. Just try it yourself! I always admired those that could blend falsetto and natural tones seamlessly. Paul McCartney is one and, IMHO, the best. Todd Rundgren, Daryl Hall and Pete Cetera also bear mentioning.
    Some others that use it well: The Bee Gees, Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Matt Bellamy (Muse), Mick Jagger, Rodger Hodgson (Supertramp), Jack White.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Halford is unique in that ability. Very few other men can do the same.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I have no idea who Silver Stallion Videos are, but apparently they did a 3 camera shoot at the Judas Preist show here in Kalamazoo Saturday night. They released this today:

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Geddy Lee by contrast abused the hell out of his voice in the 70s. .
    You remind me that when I saw the Time Machine video on VH-1 Classic (yeah, I didn't get to go to the show, I was unemployed at the time), I remember thinking, "Geddy sounds like he's yawning his way through the songs". I mentioned this on Facebook once, and someone said it's literally the only way he can sing now.

For those of us who don't understand the difference, can someone explain the difference between "falsetto" and "singing the high notes naturally"?

I first saw Judas Priest on Halloween night 1978.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Who was in the band at the show Steve? I only know their 3 key albums in the 70s, including Sad Wings (that I think is briliant).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Who was in the band at the show Steve? I only know their 3 key albums in the 70s, including Sad Wings (that I think is briliant).
    Current lineup is:

Rob Halford – Vocals
    Ian Hill – Bass
    Scott Travis – Drums
    Richie Faulkner – Guitars
    Andy Sneap – Guitars

Glenn Tipton is also still an official member of the band and plays and writes on the albums, but he can no longer tour due to Parkinson’s disease.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have no idea who Silver Stallion Videos are, but apparently they did a 3 camera shoot at the Judas Preist show here in Kalamazoo Saturday night. They released this today:

There is some other good sh!t on that channel!

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    There is some other good sh!t on that channel!

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I scrolled through some of their other videos. A very cool channel for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For those of us who don't understand the difference, can someone explain the difference between "falsetto" and "singing the high notes naturally"?
    Here's a definition.

https://www.britannica.com/art/falsetto

It's probably best understood by listening to actual examples. When Cetera sings "catching lights under the sky" in 25 or 6 to 4 he switches to falsetto. McCartney switches to falsetto and back in Baby I'm Amazed when he does the woo woo's leading into the verse. There's a lot of falsetto background vocals on the Demons and Wizards album by Uriah Heep. Poet's Justice comes to mind.

There's probably a lot of other examples, but these three popped into my head first.

I read a recent interview where he said between songs when you see him briefly go offstage he drinks tea and has a humidifier to keep his voice in shape.

That corresponds with what we were told in HS choir. To sing properly, in your range, you sing from your chest/diaphragm. Falsetto takes it higher but it's a little thinner. Still sound great, especially in the hands of someone who really knows how to do it: McCartney, Jagger, Prince, etc.

This is an interesting tangent for those thinking about metal voices. It's a classical vocals teacher evaluating five metal singers without knowing who she's listening to. Halford shines the brightest but Dickinson and Dio aren't too shabby.

https://www.claudiafriedlander.com/t...l-singers.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I read a recent interview where he said between songs when you see him briefly go offstage he drinks tea and has a humidifier to keep his voice in shape.
    Yes, he has a whole little area set up back stage where he does thins like that. He has talked about it in his books.