Thread: Ripples by Experimental Artificial Sphere

Ripples by Experimental Artificial Sphere

Hey Proggies We're back with a new longtrack release. This time, for once, it's not an original composition, but our very own version of the epic ballad "Ripples" by Genesis. Originally found on their 1976 album "A Trick of the Tail" and now reinterpreted by us in 2024 and available for you now.

Sphere Commander André Fedorow on mellotron, RMI piano & Taurus bass pedals were joined by musicians such as Nathan King (Level 42 / Frost*) - electric guitar, Simon Moskon (The Cryptex) - piano, Raquel Schüler - vocals, Niko Becker - drums and Horacio Valdivieso - acoustic guitars.

Click on the link and choose the platform you trust to get the full listening pleasure:
    https://easmusic.de/en/ripples/

easripples_front.jpg

easripples_back.jpg

Prog On!
    Experimental Artificial Sphere
    Rock, Progressive Rock, New Art Rock
    Visit our Website
    Visit us on Facebook

Some interesting choices. I think the electirc guitar (starting in the instrumental passage) lacks the subtlety that makes Genesis' version so great, but there is much else to recommend it, and it works very well in the long fadeout. Overall I like it.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Overall, this isn't significantly different from the 1976 version. Unlike Sturgeon's Lawyer, I like the guitarwork in the instrumental section here simply because it's different from the original. I do agree that the original is better; it's just that I've heard it hundreds of times, so this alternative is refreshing on that one point.

The female vocalist has a pleasing and suitable voice. However, the strong impact of the original mainly lies in the verse-to-chorus transition. Phil sings the verses softly and in a lower register then jumps up an octave for "Sail away, away!" This version loses that completely.

Also, long, sustaining Mellotron string chords that remain at the same volume fall flat for me. Tony Banks often used the volume pedal expressively to make the 'Tron breathe - from those dramatic, zero-to-one-hundred swells in The Fountain of Salmacis to the more subtle volume shifts that occur in many other Genesis songs.

Still, this version is quite well recorded. It sounds great in headphones!

It's a difficult job to satisfy everybody. It's pretty well done. With some originalities in the instrumental section which are interesting. Some chords or bass changes... Overall it's beautiful as the song.
    The lead vocal is less "dark" than the original as it's a softier voice, but I like it. Great job.