Thread: Graham Janz - Clouds (acoustic guitar album)

Graham Janz - Clouds (acoustic guitar album)

Hello Everyone,

I just finishied putting together this album a few days ago and would like to know how people will react to it. I've been working with minimal equipment, just what I can carry with me. At one point I was using a cat food box as a mic stand (and it created some noise), a felted woolen mitten for a spit guard (it works pretty well actually). I'm influenced by Peter Hammill/Van Der Graaf Generator, maudln of the Well, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Silver Mt. Zion, Leonard Cohen, Slapp Happy, Gong, Camel, Opeth, among many others. I would have liked to have had a full band to record with, but maybe later on.

https://grahamjanz.bandcamp.com/album/clouds

I hope everyone is doing well!

image.jpg

Well first off, as a keyboard player I am legally obligated to declare any guitarist as my mortal enemy

Kidding aside, I enjoyed it! Had kind of a Syd Barrett intimacy ala Opel for me, a bit of whimsy even if the lyrics were focused on heavier topics. My own bias has always been for instrumental music, so I think Clouds was the tune that really stood out!

So yeah, very cool, thanks for sharing and welcome to PE

Very nice guitar work, clouds and the le sur stood out . A little preachy but that’s just me. I’m not drawn to folksy music but there are listeners out there.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Well first off, as a keyboard player I am legally obligated to declare any guitarist as my mortal enemy

Kidding aside, I enjoyed it! Had kind of a Syd Barrett intimacy ala Opel for me, a bit of whimsy even if the lyrics were focused on heavier topics. My own bias has always been for instrumental music, so I think Clouds was the tune that really stood out!

So yeah, very cool, thanks for sharing and welcome to PE
    Lol! I am here to negotiate a peace treaty between guitarists and keyboardists. I have not listened to Opel, but I'm going to check it out today. Piper is my favourite Pink Floyd album. Thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm starting to plan for the next album so maybe there will be more instrumentals next time! Clouds was in the incubator for a long time and I have quite a few other parts that didn't make it into the final recording that I can turn into other songs. You're welcome for sharing and thank you for your welcome! I'm glad to be here

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Very nice guitar work, clouds and the le sur stood out . A little preachy but that’s just me. I’m not drawn to folksy music but there are listeners out there.
    Thanks for listening! I'm glad some song stood out for you, but I know it's not for everyone. I hope to find these listeners

Quote Originally Posted by mahargznaj View Post
    Lol! I am here to negotiate a peace treaty between guitarists and keyboardists. I have not listened to Opel, but I'm going to check it out today. Piper is my favourite Pink Floyd album. Thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm starting to plan for the next album so maybe there will be more instrumentals next time! Clouds was in the incubator for a long time and I have quite a few other parts that didn't make it into the final recording that I can turn into other songs. You're welcome for sharing and thank you for your welcome! I'm glad to be here
    Glad to

With Syd Barrett, it's really about stuff like Opel, which isn't one of his proper studio albums, but rather a series of tunes recorded live in the studio. Especially the title track, which is maybe the most gorgeous thing he ever did with or without Pink Floyd.

I do also hear the Silver Mt. Zion influence as well, BTW Thanks again for sharing!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I like the track Clouds. Well done, great fretwork & an interesting overall vibe. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk