Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Album Releases So Far In 2024

Monkey3 - Welcome To The Machine
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of The Last Human Being
    Zio Crocifisso - Campana di Legno
    Chelsea Wolfe - She Reaches Out To She Reaches Out To She

Gogo Penguin - From the North
    Present - This is NOT the End (warming up to it - most likely it will be in my top 24)
    Viima – Väistyy Mielen Yö
    Elephant9 - Mythical River
    Beth Gibbons - Lives Outgrown

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Hidden Orchestra - To Dream Is To Forget

thx, I'll check it out
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Lots of great stuff already mentioned, so here's a few I've enjoyed that haven't come up already on this thread:

Kyros - Mannequin
    Perfect - Monkey Jockey Man and the Safari Tick Sugar
    Plantoid - Terrapath

Quote Originally Posted by runciblemoon View Post
    Lots of great stuff already mentioned, so here's a few I've enjoyed that haven't come up already on this thread:

Kyros - Mannequin
    Perfect - Monkey Jockey Man and the Safari Tick Sugar
    Plantoid - Terrapath
    Checking out that Plantoid right now. Love the band name and their album art. Sounds good so far. Thanks.

Neil

Tom Penaguin - Tom Penaguin
    Laucan & Samuel Organ - LORCAN
    The Chronicles of Father Robin - The Songs & Tales of Airoea - Book III: Magical Chronicle (Ascension)
    Big Big Train - The Likes of Us
    BONUS SUGGESTION: The Lemon Twigs - A Dream Is All We Know (OK, not prog, but so fun!)

Tom Penaguin's album is amazing and so perfectly produced - wow! "LORCAN" is beautiful and fascinating. The Chronicles of Father Robin's album is pretty uneven for me, but lots of lovely parts - and I love the vintage production. "The Likes of Us" was a really pleasant surprise because I was not loving the new singer... really solid enjoyable album. And The Lemon Twigs' "A Dream Is All We Know" because I love it for the same reasons I love great prog rock - it's clever, beautiful, surprising and multi-layered.

4 releases stand out for me so far:

Present - This is not the end
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - of the last human being
    This Celestial Engine - S/t
    Arooj Aftab - Night Reign

Los of others I enjoyed as well

Oren Ambarchi, Johan Berthling and Andreas Werliin - Ghosted ii

Goat - Joy in Fea

Don Li - COSMOTONICS 7x7

SGM of the Last Human Being

RhùnTozzos

Ronin Rhythm Clan: Moonday

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Forgot the Don Li, need to check that.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Forgot

Avalanche Kaito Talitakum
    absolutely great - top 3 release for me sofar

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yes it's excellent
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Having received advance previews of the new Ritual and MEER albums, I can confidently say both are excellent and certainly contenders for my list this year, and I'd expect others will agree.

New M!ndgames is solid too, their first in 9 years, and I've been enjoying Lucifer and Kavus Torabi as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Trio HLK - Anthropometricks

Dina Ogon - Oas

Oas by Dina Õgon was released in February 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Checking out that Plantoid right now. Love the band name and their album art. Sounds good so far. Thanks.

Neil
    That plantoid album is pretty good. I sort of forgot about it after I purchased it, but I've been spinning it regularly for a few weeks now.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    That plantoid album is pretty good. I sort of forgot about it after I purchased it, but I've been spinning it regularly for a few weeks now.
    Plantoid-Terrapath. I have really warmed to this album. I keep going back to it a lot. I think it is just a really solid record with great song-writing, playing, singing and a nice mix of styles (jazz/rock/prog) all done with a driving purpose and intent.

This one could end up pretty high on my best of the year list.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Plantoid-Terrapath. I have really warmed to this album. I keep going back to it a lot. I think it is just a really solid record with great song-writing, playing, singing and a nice mix of styles (jazz/rock/prog) all done with a driving purpose and intent.

This one could end up pretty high on my best of the year list.

Neil
    Same. It's a real grower, isn't it? First time I listened to it I was fairly indifferent but there was just enough there to pull me back in for another spin and then it really started to click. On the surface they're not doing anything radically new, but the end result is still rather distinctive. A very impressive debut, IMO.

Midseason Roundtable and personal videos should be coming this week on my YouTube channel...
    https://www.youtube.com/@AllMediaReviewsPodcast

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    4 releases stand out for me so far:

Present - This is not the end
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - of the last human being
    This Celestial Engine - S/t
    Arooj Aftab - Night Reign

Los of others I enjoyed as well
    My favorite so far is now; Caroline Shaw en So Percussion ~ Rectangles and Circumstance
    For me this has just the right balance between experiment and accessibility.

I have been unable to follow the frenetic rhythm of new releases coming from Pierre Vervloesem (dubbed as the "Belgian Frank Zappa), but this year's record with the funny name Lotta Boom Boom is simply outstanding. Two drummers, 4 saxes, and Pierre with all the rest. For fans of Zappa, Magma and all progressive jazz-rock-fusion-you-name-it. The guy is a musical genius, some of this music belongs to the Wazoo gallery.

Not prog, but one of my favorite albums of the year so far is “Now That’s What I Call Fantastic Cat” from Fantastic Cat. The band remind me of a modern-day Eagles or similar to bands like Dawes. I think this album is fantastic if you like well done power / folk / pop with 4 different singers and songwriters.

This was the first single from the album:

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not prog, but one of my favorite albums of the year so far is “Now That’s What I Call Fantastic Cat” from Fantastic Cat. The band remind me of a modern-day Eagles or similar to bands like Dawes. I think this album is fantastic if you like well done power / folk / pop with 4 different singers and songwriters.

This was the first single from the album:

Nice sound. I was annoyed at first because I thought their outfits were some sort of reflection of a particular battle flag but the colors are wrong. So I'm assuming it's some sort of Evel Knievel daredevil thing.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Definitely Evel Knievel, but maybe a little Elvis too? I'll check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Nice sound. I was annoyed at first because I thought their outfits were some sort of reflection of a particular battle flag but the colors are wrong. So I'm assuming it's some sort of Evel Knievel daredevil thing.
    I assumed it was Evel. Their sound is very 70's-ish. I do not detect anything political in their music.