Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: YES ... or not

Not.

I'll quote something I read recently - "AI art accidentally made me believe in the existence of the soul"
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    It's at least as good as "Bareback ladies have fish."
    That line needs interpretation in context with the previous line.

See the slinky seal cirkus policeman"
    "Bareback ladies have fish"

I always interpreted that as corruption in the police force, with bareback ladies (prostitutes/strippers ?) being able to corrupt the police ( seals) with fish. So it kind of does make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I saw this a few days ago. Might be of interest. The music itself is crap but his analysis is good.
    That’s just what we need…reaction videos to AI generated content.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It’s completely expected that the masses of luddites would scoff at something as transformational as AI. What you’re hearing now is the equivalent of early digital synthesis or 8-bit graphics. There will come a time where the tech will be so good, it will be accepted and embraced…not by this crowd of course, but by the next generations.

Just remember that, in most applications, there are still humans behind the tech. How good it becomes will be a combination of how engineers and creatives can work together to hone tools that can be used to create AI assisted content based on the prompter’s vision in the same way that creatives can create animations without actually drawing.

The real obstacle with AI’s ability to produce content is that it’s limited by the existing content it’s drawn from (generally speaking). We, as humans in the internet age, have already homogenized art and culture pretty badly already without AI over the last 25 years. That said, I predict that the there will emerge some musicians/creatives that will be able to able to use the tech to inspire themselves to create music that could take us out of the cultural rut we are in now.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:24 AM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It’s completely expected that the masses of luddites would scoff at something as transformational as AI. What you’re hearing now is the equivalent of early digital synthesis or 8-bit graphics. There will come a time where the tech will be so good, it will be accepted and embraced…not by this crowd of course, but by the next generations.

Just remember that, in most applications, there are still humans behind the tech. How good it becomes will be a combination of how engineers and creatives can work together to hone tools that can be used to create AI assisted content based on the prompter’s vision in the same way that creatives can create animations without actually drawing.
    That's a very interesting way of looking at it, and I believe that most of the problem with this debate is that it is framed by media "commentators" (both mainstream and on the internet) as "they are coming to get you and your jobs", destroy all human creativity, and blast us all into kingdom come. As with all such debates, intelligent comment is very few and far between, and that is why I wish we could see more of this type of comment. I think looking at historical advances in technology that you are probably right, and I was struck the other day looking at figures for radio (wireless) usage figures here in dear old Blighty. It's never been so popular. I barely watch any television outside of sport, but listen to a lot of speech radio. Wasn't video meant to kill it?
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    I barely watch any television outside of sport, but listen to a lot of speech radio. Wasn't video meant to kill it?
    And streaming has its detractors because the content is this, that or the other compared with good old network TV fare (which apparently wasn't mostly crap). However, as an early Gen Xer who has always gone with the technological flow, streaming has made it possible for me to watch a lot of shows I've missed over the decades and see them in a more concise period of time. So for me - the consumer - a net good.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    barely watch any television outside of sport, but listen to a lot of speech radio. Wasn't video meant to kill it?
    You sound identical to me. However I look at the amount of different TV channels I have to subscribe to in order to cover the sport I like to watch, and I feel like a mug.

I like the quote to the effect that “I thought that AI was supposed to take away the boring jobs and leave us with time for music and art creativity”

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    You sound identical to me. However I look at the amount of different TV channels I have to subscribe to in order to cover the sport I like to watch, and I feel like a mug.

I like the quote to the effect that “I thought that AI was supposed to take away the boring jobs and leave us with time for music and art creativity”
    It'll replace middle-managers and CEOs.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

That’s just what we need…reaction videos to AI generated content.
    Now look here buddy boy...

The eons are closing

The real obstacle with AI’s ability to produce content is that it’s limited by the existing content it’s drawn from (generally speaking). We, as humans in the internet age, have already homogenized art and culture pretty badly already without AI over the last 25 years. That said, I predict that the there will emerge some musicians/creatives that will be able to able to use the tech to inspire themselves to create music that could take us out of the cultural rut we are in now.
    Word.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I read an article a few months ago about how AI content generators are, in essence, "a blurry jpg of the internet". it can't create something which didn't, in some sense, exist already. with so much online content being generated by AI now I kinda wonder if this stuff will actually get worse over time. if humans aren't writing content, it's going to be a lot harder to train it properly on more recent and relevant info. and if it's just cannabilizing existing AI content I think it'll get less and less coherent over time.

that said I think some of its capabilities will definitely get better, for example one would think they can figure out a way to reduce/eliminate that "digital sludge" sound that makes this fake Yes album sound so uncanny valley. but like I don't think it'll ever be able to ever write, say, the album Yes would've made in 1975 with Patrick Moraz. but I do think it might provide some good ideas for anyone who was trying to record something like that.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I wonder how crazed people will get when A.I. music is accepted by the masses and no matter how much people scream and yell about art and integrity and this or that, the audience simply won't care.
    Well, we're already to the point where people don't care whether or not the band they've paid a lot of money to see are lip syncing or original members. Some people don't care if a band isn't made up of actual members (Little River Band). Some people are willing to pay to see a giant hologram of a dead person.