Thread: Keith LeBlanc

Keith LeBlanc

I missed the passing of Keith LeBlanc in early April - & a quick search suggests it hasn't been mentioned here.

He was the drummer in Sugarhill Gang, & with fellow Gangsters Doug Wimbish & Skip MacDonald, relocated to London, becoming Maffia, house band at Adrian Sherwood's On-U Sound, & backing band for (also recently passed) Mark Stewart...before incarnating as Tack>>head.

Tack>>head released a series of brilliant, incendiary, industrial dub funk 12" singles, & the majestic lp Tack>>head Tape Time & its brilliant follow up, Friendly As A Hand Grenade. In addition, LeBlanc released a series of "solo" albums, essentially Tack>>head under another name (most notably, Major Malfunction & Stranger Than Fiction).

The band morphed into a number of other guises - the dance-oriented Fats Comet, Strange Parcels, psychedelic heavy blues machine Little Axe, & most engagingly, The Barmy Army - in which heavy dub funk rhythms had British football chants & radio commentaries dubbed on top of them (their lp The English Disease contained paens to Hammers stalwarts Billy Bonds & Alan Devonshire, which will have appealed to Sunlight Caller!).

I first came upon LeBlanc by way of the extraordinary early sample single No Sell Out... & was lucky enough to see LeBlanc & Maffia & Tack>>head on a number of occasions in the late 80s & early 90s, & they were, without question, the most exhilarating, incendiary, live act I've ever witnessed.

I've listened to all this stuff and it's magnificient - thanks for pointing it out ! Found this little thing that gave me a smile :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UYmQ7Vd3A8
    https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/
    Here I was born, and there I died. It was only a moment for you; you took no notice.

I have a 12" No Sell Out from the old days. May have to dig it out.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I picked up Stranger Than Fiction while in college because the Einstein song looked intriguing. Wound up loving the whole album...but maybe ten years ago I tried one of his other solo albums and it didn't do anything for me. --Peter