Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Prog band suggestions?

Any Prog band suggestions?

I have all of Genesis, ELP, some Dream Theater, Symphony X, Jethro Tull, Yes, Crack the Sky, Gentle Giant, Spock’s Beard.

I am looking for suggestions for Prog Bands I haven’t heard yet.

The only thing I have a problem with is bands that do only instrumental music….sorry, not my thing.

Phideaux - particularly the albums Infernal and Doomsday Afternoon
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Since you list both Genesis and Symphony X, I would suggest IQ and Haken.

Well, of the big-name bands, it seems you're missing King Crimson. Lots to explore there. Also, Van Der Graaf Generator. You might want to look at the early Camel albums as well (S/T through Rain Dances).

Can you handle Prog with vocals that are not in English? If so, there's TONS to explore. I'd start with the big-name Italian bands, PFM, Banco, Area, and Le Orme. If you can digest those, the world is your oyster, because there's almost endless bands from France, Spain, Scandanavia, South America, and Canada who are worth exploring.

Bill

explore progarchives.com
    particularly the symphonic prog section based on your current tastes: https://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=4
    the top albums here are a great place to start for any prog subgenre in my experience

To no one's surprise, let me recommend Magma, now in its 55th year of existence. As an entrance, pick up Magma Live (1976)and begin there.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Perhaps some Kansas? Maybe start with Masque (not every song is prog, but ....)

Starcastle as well
    Last edited by bigbassdrum; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:45 AM.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Happy the Man, Oblivion Sun, Kaipa, Triumvirat, Fireballet
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I second checking out ProgArcives. The aforementioned Italian bands are as good as the Big Six British bands. You'll have to keep an open mind with Italian lyrics that perfectly convey the magical and emotional elements of the glorious music. It was a revelation for me when I discovered these gems.

I would just read through the different forums on this board. All kinds of different bands are discussed including old and new.

Pink Floyd, Kansas, King Crimson.

Hatfield and the North !

National Health, UK
    But eventually the can of worms opens.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Kansas, Nektar

Wippy Bonstack, Mike Keneally, Bubblemath

England: Garden Shed (1977) (similar to Yes and Genesis)

And indeed UK!

Off brands not part of the big prog usuals. Cheer-Accident, The Muffins, Volare, The Bob Lazar Story, Homunculus Res, Sun Colored Chair, Regal Worm, Kurt Rongey
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Renaissance , Curved Air
    -- Aristotle

Gong.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Prog often incorporates instrumental music though but I guess you do want to hear vocals pop up sooner or later. Ok, well here's some suggestions:

Camel (except Snowgoose which is instrumental)
    Van Der Graaf Generator
    The Flower Kings
    Echolyn
    Nektar
    Pink Floyd
    Eloy (if you like Pink Floyd)
    Marillion
    IQ
    Riverside (since you say you like Dream Theater)
    Mastermind (almost completely forgotten about these days but they were sort of a cross between ELP and prog metal and are worth searching out)
    Jethro Tull
    Kansas

Someone mentioned Happy the Man. I was going to mention them but they were largely instruemtental so I didn't. Same thing with Focus.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Rock Progressivo Italiano. Bands like Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Latte E Miele, Le Orme, Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM), etc......
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Nektar. But don't judge them by one album, as they are all different. For pure prog, begin with " A Tab in the Ocean," "Remember the Future" and "Recycled."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

If you like your prog with a folky bent try the Strawbs. They've been around in a number of iterations since 1964, and you can find albums by them as a folk trio (some with Sandy Denny) to bombastic symphonic band with Mellotron and Moog and then back to acoustic trio.

For a spacier ride, try Hawkwind; also been around for well over 50 years.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Check out the track 8. Theia. The band is "Look to Windward" from the Netherlands.

https://looktowindward.bandcamp.com/...tering-surface
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

COS
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton