Thread: rest in peace, Frank Crijns [Blast]

rest in peace, Frank Crijns [Blast]

I have no information beyond knowing that Frank died last week. There is a small appreciation here:
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

There are several Dutch sites reporting Crijns' death, like https://jazznu.com/necrologieen/eind...-frank-crijns/

RIP but man, how d'you pronounce "Crijns"? Is it in any way close to the English word "crayons"?
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    RIP but man, how d'you pronounce "Crijns"? Is it in any way close to the English word "crayons"?
    It's more like "cries" with an "n".

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I have no information beyond knowing that Frank died last week. There is a small appreciation here:
    Sorry to hear it. He was such a friendly guy, a pleasure to work with, always so enthusiastic about music, guitars, playing etc. The website mentioned in Interbellum's post above says it was some sort of cancer.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:22 AM.

Sad, and 63 is still too "young" to go.

He seemed to possess that rare quality of individual imprint in that allowed him to pursue quite disparate terrains of style yet remain -as individual- in all of them. I still keep returning to the ghastly density of Blast's A Sophisticated Face and Stringy Rugs, to some of the 6tet material (especially from the Sift album) and the forcefest of The Bible Two by Positive Nuns, his power-trio with Jim Meneses and Blast-bro Dirk B.

His music, the portion of it that -I- got lucky enough to hear, was quirky and sometimes severely challenging but utterly convincing. And that's ultimately where integrity's at, as far as I'm concerned.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Very saddening and disturbing
    I met Frank many years ago at a Blast gig in Rotterdam

Frank was active and never stopped creating
    What a loss

Frank is the third colleague/peer/friend that died this month
    All of them around the same age

RIP