Thread: Polyphia

Polyphia

While watching a YT video featuring pianist extraordinaire Marc-Andre Hamelin (wherein he discusses some of the most difficult classical piano repertoire), I perused the comments and found a passing reference to Polyphia, a band heretofore unknown to me. Turns out Polyphia has some damned impressive prog guitar licks going on. Check this out:

The reference, btw, was a response to Hamelin's having memorized Ives' Concord Sonata at age 13 (without recourse to the sheet music), which was mind-blowing enough. The commenter remarked that kids are even memorizing Polyphia pieces now. Of course Hamelin didn't have YouTube videos or Internet-posted scores to refer to.

If interested, you can view the Hamelin video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdykXfa6fnc
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

I have a couple of Polyphia albums. They're good, though I think they took a step backward with their last album, and I'm letting that one go (It's available in the Trading Post if anyone wants a cheap CD copy). We'll see what the come up with next.

Bill

I like their universe and Tim Henson's playing , especially acoustic...my favorite track is the one above with Sophia Black...Kind of twisted humour with eyebrows on....
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Headache inducing
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

This is the only song of theirs that I've heard, that I really like. If they could do an album in this vein, I'd get it.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    This is the only song of theirs that I've heard, that I really like. If they could do an album in this vein, I'd get it.

Neil
    You may want to checkout Ichika Nito.

https://youtu.be/ZUxFFH3Aekg?si=5feT0h7aSDIuENBB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just been playing Remember That You will Die and think it a great album, from the more guitar workout sort of track like "Ego Death" to the fun yet still intricate "ABC". Makes me think that progressive-sounding music is safe in the kids' hands!
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Both Renaissance and New Levels New Devils are all very much in this vein, as is a portion of Remember That You Will Die. They don't always use acoustic guitars, but much of their electric stuff has exactly these elements.

Bill

The eons are closing
    I had heard Playing God previously and watched/listened to Ego Death from the OG post.

There is simultaneously something I dig and dislike at the same time about their sound. Will try ABC.

Edit: I did dig ABC

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudShark22; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:14 PM.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

After being impressed by some Youtube videos, we saw them live last year. Very heavy. Not enough proggy parts to balance out the heavy monotony. They are certainly talented, but I wouldn't see them again.