Thread: First Band Announcements for ProgDay 2024!

First Band Announcements for ProgDay 2024!

First Band Announcements for ProgDay 2024!

ProgDay 2024 is pleased to make it’s first band announcements for ProgDay 2024:

————————

YANG

"Superb guitar from Frédéric L’Epée and his ensemble. Ticking all sorts of Canterbury, RIO, and other boxes.” - SID SMITH - UK

The legacy of guitarist/composer Frédéric L’Epée stretches back to the 1970s with the legendary band Shylock. Followed by the evocative and intricate music of Philharmonie, YANG continues this musical exploration and development. While Robert Fripp is an obvious influence, the music ranges out into territories that really sound like nothing Fripp or King Crimson has done before. Often described as a midpoint between complex math rock and more traditional progressive rock, the music is always unpredictable and captivating. Join us as YANG celebrates its newest release on Cuneiform Records, Rejoice!, with a spellbinding journey through their eclectic repertoire that seamlessly combines intricate melodies and powerful rhythms.

————————

JACK O’ THE CLOCK

"Jack O' The Clock just seem to go from strength to strength, one of the most original and compelling groups I know playing some amazing compositions that seem to tread effortlessly between Van Dyke Parks and folk music from an as yet unidentified culture, while making all the things you've always thought of as difficult sound as effortless and natural as breathing.” - FRED FRITH

JACK O’ THE CLOCK released its first album in 2008. Now, with ten albums of original music, the band’s unique blend of Americana, progressive rock and the avant continues to defy easy characterization. While the basic instrumentation is inherently folk in nature, the final result, with it’s chamber orchestra leanings, jazz details, intense storytelling, and a dollop of surrealism, creates a sonic landscape which is really like nothing else. …Or as one reviewer stated, “JACK O’ THE CLOCK is what you get when you put together After Crying, Frank Zappa, Donovan, The Beatles and Indie Pop.” Whatever your description, the music is eloquent and beautiful, and always interesting and engaging.

————————

Join YANG and JACK O’ THE CLOCK At ProgDay 2024. ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 2024 with take place on Saturday, August 31, and Sunday, September 1, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, please visit us at www.progday.net.

Sounds good! Looking forward to it all.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Excellent news!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

groove-osity.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

P.S. Here's a track off of the new Yang release:

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

^ ^ ^ ^

and in special Nogbad news, the bassoonist is apparently back!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^

Excellent!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Great news!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Indeed. This is excellent news. I believe others reading this thread saw the Fred Frith: Drawing Sound concert somewhere around the country (Big Ears most prominently). The members of Jack O' the Clock who participated with Mr. Frith made for an awesome performance. Given the current challenges of bringing foreign artists into the country now and how that may mean none for this year's fest, the selection pool is significantly reduced. Hopefully, the remaining booking announcements will be as esteemed!

Thank you, Michael!

^ ^ ^ ^

Replace "apparently" with "definitely".
    A few of us made the 2-hour drive from Albany to Brattleboro last night to see them. They only played an hour or so, but pretty much every minute was exceptional. If anything was disappointing, it was the lack of hammered dulcimer. But I pick nits.

Really a nice group of friendly people, as well. Hopefully, I'll make it south to see them again in NC

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    Indeed. This is excellent news. I believe others reading this thread saw the Fred Frith: Drawing Sound concert somewhere around the country (Big Ears most prominently). The members of Jack O' the Clock who participated with Mr. Frith made for an awesome performance. Given the current challenges of bringing foreign artists into the country now and how that may mean none for this year's fest, the selection pool is significantly reduced. Hopefully, the remaining booking announcements will be as esteemed!

Thank you, Michael!
    The members of JoTC who also play with Fred are now ex members of the performing version of the group; it’s a new rhythm section.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I only have one album by Jack O' The Clock (Night Loops) but it's a very good one. They would be a very interesting band to see but I probably won't be making it this year.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

The members of JoTC who also play with Fred are now ex members of the performing version of the group; it’s a new rhythm section.
    Thanks Steve. Obviously, that news had not yet caught up with me. It now has.