Thread: Faun North American Tour 2024

Faun North American Tour 2024

I have to pinch myself that this is even happening, but Pagan/Medieval/Neofolk German band Faun is coming to the USA & Canada for a tour in Fall 2024. This is a rare opportunity, possibly only time, for fans in North America to see this great band. Dates and a link to their website are below, and dates are in European notation. They're not going west of Chicago, but this is one worth traveling for. I'll be at Detroit, and am considering Asheville. I haven't been this excited for a tour in a while. If you have an interest in this band or style of music, don't miss it!

19.09.24 Center Stage, Atlanta, GA

21.09.24 Neighborhood Theatre, Charlotte, NC

22.09.24 The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC

24.09.24 The National, Richmond, VA

25.09.24 Baltimore Soundstage, Baltimore, MD

27.09.24 Le Poison Rouge, New York, NY

28.09.24 Somerville Theatre, Somerville, MA

29.09.24 Le National, Montreal, QC

01.10.24 Axis Club, Toronto, ON

02.10.24 Mr Small’s Theatre, Millvale, PA

04.10.24 Majestic Theatre, Detroit, MI

06.10.24 Metro, Chicago, IL

https://faune.de/en/

I'd never heard of this band until now. I love the music. Do they have any releases? where can I find them?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'd never heard of this band until now. I love the music. Do they have any releases? where can I find them?
    They're not on Bandcamp, but easy to find on Discogs and eBay, and I would think Amazon as well. I'm sure they sell through the website that I linked, but then you're going to have to pay the overseas shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Do they have any releases? where can I find them?
    Discogs shows 12 releases, the first in 2001, the most recent 2022.

So this band is going to tour the US just to have 15 people show up at each gig. Is it really worth it financially? Or maybe they have some kind of indie/ college cult following us prog fans don't know about.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

^ I have no idea how far their popularity extends to the USA. They are well regarded in their field. Although they are somewhat different to Heilung, possible parallels can be drawn. Most proggers had no idea about Heilung, but they've come to the USA twice, and tours were sold out, afaik.

Haven't heard of them, but they are coming to Toronto on October 1st, at a fair sized club, so I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: That Tamlin video is awesome, and for sure I will be going to this.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 1 Week Ago at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    So this band is going to tour the US just to have 15 people show up at each gig. Is it really worth it financially? Or maybe they have some kind of indie/ college cult following us prog fans don't know about.
    I know nothing about this band, but no way would they be booked at the Axis Club in Toronto if there was the slightest chance that only 15 people would show up. Last gig I saw there was King's X, and there were for sure between 500-600 people there, which is close to capacity.

Neil

A friend of mine at work actually saw Faun in Germany in 2005, haha! He says they were good. Apparently they were formed around 1998, so I assume they have new members, as they mostly look pretty young.

Neil

^ There have been personnel changes over the years, but Oliver has been a constant, and on their albums anyway, they haven't missed a beat.

The Neighborhood Theatre is literally a ten minute walk in my neighborhood, and it’s on a Saturday.

I’ll investigate and gauge interest. Thanks for posting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I know nothing about this band, but no way would they be booked at the Axis Club in Toronto if there was the slightest chance that only 15 people would show up. Last gig I saw there was King's X, and there were for sure between 500-600 people there, which is close to capacity.

Neil
    I don't know about that. One of the first shows by the Police only had six people in the audience so yes very small attendances can happen. There were only maybe 80 people when I saw Peter Hammill and only 30 for Knight Area.

Edit. Ok. I'll take back part of what I said since this is a band who have other genres besides prog. There was a German prog band with the same name who put out one album back in the 90s so maybe I was thinking of them.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 1 Week Ago at 08:20 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

^^Their videos have millions of views. Regardless of whether or not they are less well known in North America, I stand by my original statement. The first shows in Toronto by The Police, U2 and other bands that went on to be huge (not to say Faun ever will), were at very small clubs....to very few people. My friend was at a very early U2 show, and the band took requests during the show and went out to a bar and drank with the handful of audience members afterwards, lol. I can't speak to the way clubs operate in Philadelphia, but no way would this club book them, with even the remote possibility of 15 people showing up.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Neil

^^Their videos have millions of views. Regardless of whether or not they are less well known in North America, I stand by my original statement. The first shows in Toronto by The Police, U2 and other bands that went on to be huge (not to say Faun ever will), were at very small clubs....to very few people. My friend was at a very early U2 show, and the band took requests during the show and went out to a bar and drank with the handful of audience members afterwards, lol. I can't speak to the way clubs operate in Philadelphia, but no way would this club book them, with even the remote possibility of 15 people showing up.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Neil
    Not necessary to "agree to disagree." I'm not that invested in the argument. Besides, I could be wrong. I don't know everything and don't claim to.

When the Police played in front of six people apparently they hung out with them at the bar also.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 1 Week Ago at 04:49 PM.

There was a German prog band with the same name who put out one album back in the 90s so maybe I was thinking of them.
    That was Fauns. They put out 2 albums and 2 EPs in the early 2000s before changing their name to Favni in 2016 to avoid confusion with the band featured here. They have so far only released one album under the name Favni. They are (were?) a Prog-Rock/FolkRock hybrid and their releases are also very good and recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    That was Fauns. They put out 2 albums and 2 EPs in the early 2000s before changing their name to Favni in 2016 to avoid confusion with the band featured here. They have so far only released one album under the name Favni. They are (were?) a Prog-Rock/FolkRock hybrid and their releases are also very good and recommended.

Nope. Just Faun and only one album. https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2167

RYM says the same thing: https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/faun-1

Nope. Just Faun and only one album. https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2167

RYM says the same thing: https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/faun-1
    I have that one, but forgot about them. Not memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have that one, but forgot about them. Not memorable.
    Wow. Do you have a "leave no stone unturned" approach to prog?

^ More or less.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The NYC club they're playing at used to be The Village Gate until the name changed some time ago. It's not big, but well-known so probably only books pretty solid acts (I saw Magma there once). Of course, things like weather and transit strikes can cause freak tiny crowds at times, even with normally reliable acts.

Haven't heard of them, but they are coming to Toronto on October 1st, at a fair sized club, so I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the tip.
    Same night as Soft Machine in Toronto...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    Same night as Soft Machine in Toronto...
    Yes, I thought about that. I did, I believe, see this Soft Machine line-up at the RIO Festival in France, but have never seen Faun. Plus, my girlfriend would enjoy Faun quite a bit, so that probably tips the scales in their favor.

Neil