Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need something new to listen to

You might want to check out my band Solstein - jazz-funk with a progressive bent. I love Happy the Man
    https://solstein.bandcamp.com/track/hamada-2

An album I'd recommend that I think flew far too under the radar for a lot of folks in recent years is Über Bord! by Squintaloo (apologies for the spotify link - no bandcamp for this one, it seems). Fully instrumental (save for a bit of piratical chanting on the closing track) and extraordinarily well-balanced instrumental prog. I say well balanced because it continually teeters between composed and improvised, heavy and meditative, complex and catchy... It never goes to the extreme in any one direction, but equally never stays still for long. It's just an incredibly well made, engaging prog album that desperately deserves some more ears on it.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one ….. I have this tendency to discover fantastic bands that I managed to miss for many years. Living under a rock has its disadvantages apparently LOL. Anyhow, I stumbled across Big Big Train a couple of years ago and they have an absolutely fantastic back catalog, along with still making new music.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Stop me if you’ve heard this one ….. I have this tendency to discover fantastic bands that I managed to miss for many years. Living under a rock has its disadvantages apparently LOL. Anyhow, I stumbled across Big Big Train a couple of years ago and they have an absolutely fantastic back catalog, along with still making new music.
    No argument here. Great stuff and great to see live.

I know it's just my music, but... I think it meets your criteria!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by runciblemoon View Post
    An album I'd recommend that I think flew far too under the radar for a lot of folks in recent years is Über Bord! by Squintaloo (apologies for the spotify link - no bandcamp for this one, it seems). Fully instrumental (save for a bit of piratical chanting on the closing track) and extraordinarily well-balanced instrumental prog. I say well balanced because it continually teeters between composed and improvised, heavy and meditative, complex and catchy... It never goes to the extreme in any one direction, but equally never stays still for long. It's just an incredibly well made, engaging prog album that desperately deserves some more ears on it.

Thanks for bringing this band up. I've been listening to Uber Bord! and what they do, they do very well. Thoroughly enjoyable slab of instrumental progressive. I think your description nails it.