Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crack the Sky

Crack the Sky

What do you all think of this band? Personally, I really like them, though I don’t think I’d necessarily call them Prog, as they have been described by the media.

My only gripe about them is the lead singer always has to have a song or two on each album putting down God and religion.

Not trying to start a religious debate here, just wanted to point that out because I think it’s rather rude. Freedom of speech I think does have its limits I feel. No need to insult what a lot of people believe.

The first three: S/T, Animal Notes, and Safety in Numbers are all essential, IMHO. There's Beatles in the broth, plus some prog goodness. Great playing, singing, and lyrics, too!

Quote Originally Posted by ickyspat View Post
    What do you all think of this band? Personally, I really like them, though I don’t think I’d necessarily call them Prog, as they have been described by the media.

My only gripe about them is the lead singer always has to have a song or two on each album putting down God and religion.

Not trying to start a religious debate here, just wanted to point that out because I think it’s rather rude. Freedom of speech I think does have its limits I feel. No need to insult what a lot of people believe.
    This band completely passed me by back in the day. In the past few years I have picked up two compilation albums from them (with no repeat songs) and really like them both. I should explore more of their stuff. I have never seen them live, so can’t comment on that.

Safety In Numbers is one of the greatest ‘classic album rock’ records of the 70s….very too bad it was only a classic in the Baltimore area, where the band were huge.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I had safety in numbers when it came out. I don’t have it anymore. Not sure what happened to the vinyl but it’s not in my collection anymore and I unfortunately don’t really remember much about it other than I did enjoy it. Thanks for the refresher. I’ll have to revisit it and see what I think after all this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Regarding Safety In Numbers: I think it's their best. Beware of the re-recorded version. It pales in comparison to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Beware of the re-recorded version. It pales in comparison to the original.
    Absolutely agree
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I would love to see a deluxe box set of their first 6-7 albums. I know the Lifesong label folded in 1983, but not sure who owns the rights to those albums now.

The live album is a true gem!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ickyspat View Post
    What do you all think of this band? Personally, I really like them, though I donÂ’t think IÂ’d necessarily call them Prog, as they have been described by the media.

Not trying to start a religious debate here, just wanted to point that out because I think itÂ’s rather rude. Freedom of speech I think does have its limits I feel. No need to insult what a lot of people believe.
    There are times when Crack The Sky play in a progressive style...particularly notable on their early albums although I have heard the GREENHOUSE album which emulated Pink Floyd in a bit of the over the top way.

I feel compelled to say that some people get religion pushed on them where it feels imposing
    upon their life perhaps in their youth and they become furious and resentful. I'm certainly not making reference to a good Christian who is open and fair-minded ...but those who have a more manipulative approach to the gospels and will even go as far to be a sadistic bravado type of individual. I don't personally know John Palumbo..but it's always possible that he experienced the extreme and is revealing it through an attitude in his lyricism.

I had experiences with controlling people when I was a kid. One side being church going folks that were posing to some degree but in actuality were of a manichean belief where they also followed the left handed path and Luciferian practices. Many people have lived that environment but they can't prove it. Some of them make a career out of it by writing books 😃

Crack The Sky /Animal Notes/Safety In Numbers are my favorite albums. White Music is okay. It's kind of Punk and Rock n' Roll and fun. I never had the live album released in the 70s ( I think?), and at that time I played the national circuit with some sell out and Crack The Sky, Happy The Man, and Nektar...were on that circuit and playing mostly East coast dates in the U.S. Any one of the three would be in Maryland or perhaps Fort Dix area in Jersey playing shows. All three bands were outstanding! WMMR were playing the music of Crack The Sky. People loved Crack The Sky and rightly so because their first three albums were special.

I bought Safety In Numbers when it came out. "Nuclear Apathy" and the title track got airplay on the rock stations in Miami.
    *Really tight* rhythm section!

CtS were half pop band, half prog band, half Midwest hard rock band - and wholly successful at being all three.
    Personally, I consider their classic three albums at least as good as Kansas; they were one of the best US prog bands.

I really only know some of their later stuff especially From the Greenhouse which I always enjoyed despite the drum machine. That album imo is an unheralded classic. I actually saw them live once (at Rosfest) and they were very good from what I remember. They seem to have a cult following in the Maryland and northern Virginia area.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

If you can get hold of the vinyl Live Sky, pay whatever it takes. It was recorded during a brief period when John Palumbo was not a member of the band, but the two players they brought in to replace him (a keyboardist and a vocalist) are quite adequate to the songs.

Back in the '70s, when I first heard side two at Rather Ripped Records in Berkeley (RIP), I immediately bought it and two of their studio albums: I still have them in my proud but long-untouched vinyl collection. Alas; it has never been released on CD.

Ah, wait ... a little investigation shows that Alive and Kickin' Ass is the same concerts, but includes several more songs. Get that. I'm going to! (It says it's remixed. I hope that's good.......)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    There are times when Crack The Sky play in a progressive style...particularly notable on their early albums although I have heard the GREENHOUSE album which emulated Pink Floyd in a bit of the over the top way.

I feel compelled to say that some people get religion pushed on them where it feels imposing
    upon their life perhaps in their youth and they become furious and resentful. I'm certainly not making reference to a good Christian who is open and fair-minded ...but those who have a more manipulative approach to the gospels and will even go as far to be a sadistic bravado type of individual. I don't personally know John Palumbo..but it's always possible that he experienced the extreme and is revealing it through an attitude in his lyricism.

I had experiences with controlling people when I was a kid. One side being church going folks that were posing to some degree but in actuality were of a manichean belief where they also followed the left handed path and Luciferian practices. Many people have lived that environment but they can't prove it. Some of them make a career out of it by writing books ��

Crack The Sky /Animal Notes/Safety In Numbers are my favorite albums. White Music is okay. It's kind of Punk and Rock n' Roll and fun. I never had the live album released in the 70s ( I think?), and at that time I played the national circuit with some sell out and Crack The Sky, Happy The Man, and Nektar...were on that circuit and playing mostly East coast dates in the U.S. Any one of the three would be in Maryland or perhaps Fort Dix area in Jersey playing shows. All three bands were outstanding! WMMR were playing the music of Crack The Sky. People loved Crack The Sky and rightly so because their first three albums were special.
    I agree totally coming from a white bread Southern Baptist family with a grandfather who was a minister. Rammed down my throat for years. Totally rejected religion at my first opportunity and never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    If you can get hold of the vinyl Live Sky, pay whatever it takes. It was recorded during a brief period when John Palumbo was not a member of the band, but the two players they brought in to replace him (a keyboardist and a vocalist) are quite adequate to the songs.

Back in the '70s, when I first heard side two at Rather Ripped Records in Berkeley (RIP), I immediately bought it and two of their studio albums: I still have them in my proud but long-untouched vinyl collection. Alas; it has never been released on CD.

Ah, wait ... a little investigation shows that Alive and Kickin' Ass is the same concerts, but includes several more songs. Get that. I'm going to! (It says it's remixed. I hope that's good.......)
    Four tracks from Live Sky were bonus-tracks on the Lifesong-CD Live On WBAB, which was originally a radio-promotioal LP released after Animal Notes.

Alive And Kickin' Ass is indeed Live Sky +, with four previously unreleased tracks plus the full version of She's A Dancer, which was missing the middle jam on the original LP.

My favourite CTS-albums are also the first three. Lifesong did re-release the first one and White Music, both with a couple of bonustracks, while the label also put out some 2-on-1 CD's (1st/White Music + Animal Notes/Safety In Numbers (missing one track)).

I've been following their releases, but never bought their latest one, the acoustic album From The Wood.

https://www.crackthesky.com/

More cracky posts: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...-Sky-fans-here

Oooo, l need to get ahold of Alive And Kickin' Ass. Live Sky is a five-star live album. I will second Safety In Numbers and the S/T first as their best studio efforts, along with side 1 of World In Motion 1.

Also l recall liking Palumbo's solo albums Innocent Bystander and Blowing Up Detroit but l literally have not heard either of them since the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I would love to see a deluxe box set of their first 6-7 albums. I know the Lifesong label folded in 1983, but not sure who owns the rights to those albums now.
    Lifesong still does. Iconoclassic Records has approached Phil Kurnit, who owns Lifesong, numerous times about licensing the Crack the Sky albums for reissue. Unfortunately without success.

Several decades ago, "From the Greenhouse" sneaked into my collection somehow. I like it. Reminds me of Pink Floyd...at a time when I was searching for bands like Pink Floyd. Besides "From The Greenhouse"...I haven't heard any other Crack The Sky albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclassic View Post
    Lifesong still does. Iconoclassic Records has approached Phil Kurnit, who owns Lifesong, numerous times about licensing the Crack the Sky albums for reissue. Unfortunately without success.
    A friend of John Palumbo was able to re-release a couple of CTS-albums on well produced CDR's on the label It's About Music.com. That way I bought Photoflamingo, World In Motion 1 and The End. But that was suddenly stopped when Palumbo didn't allow those releases anymore. Just before that I was offered to get Blowing Up Detroit (featuring Happy The Man's Stan Whitaker on guitar on some tracks), but I regretfully didn't bite....
    So it looks like Iconoclassic isn't the first who hadn't success with the CTS-discography.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Several decades ago, "From the Greenhouse" sneaked into my collection somehow. I like it. Reminds me of Pink Floyd...at a time when I was searching for bands like Pink Floyd. Besides "From The Greenhouse"...I haven't heard any other Crack The Sky albums.
    Dog City is more or less in the same vein.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    A friend of John Palumbo was able to re-release a couple of CTS-albums on well produced CDR's on the label It's About Music.com. That way I bought Photoflamingo, World In Motion 1 and The End. But that was suddenly stopped when Palumbo didn't allow those releases anymore. Just before that I was offered to get Blowing Up Detroit (featuring Happy The Man's Stan Whitaker on guitar on some tracks), but I regretfully didn't bite....
    So it looks like Iconoclassic isn't the first who hadn't success with the CTS-discography.
    The label can still be found here: https://www.americanoriginalscds.com/lifesong.htm

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Dog City is more or less in the same vein.
    I agree. I like FTGH better but they are similar which makes sense since they were only a year apart. However, I haven't heard any other full length albums by them and they seem hard to come by with most of the earlier stuff now out of print. It would probably be easier to find the first few Starcastle albums.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)