Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New version of From Genesis to Revelation planned

I personally think it sounds bare without the strings. There's not really any hidden solos or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    True but I think the mono mix blends the band and the strings much better, as a result it doesn't sound like both are permanently fighting for prominence, with Peter's voice hanging in the middle. Also, it's a much better listening experience on headphones.
    This is true.

It's admittedly not a sophisticated stereo mix. If the multi-tracks are there you could probably spread things a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I wrote an article about this - while it's not the most re-issued album in history, it may be the one that's been reissued with the most different titles and album covers - several of which I feel were meant to trick the buyer into thinking this was something "new"

https://critterjams.wordpress.com/20...velation-1969/
    Yes most CDs seem to have followed the Rock Roots tracklist, which I think was the first collection to contain all the Decca masters. I never really noticed a difference between the single and album 'The Silent Sun' TBH.

Some add things like 'Image Blown Out'. There have been later releases which had the Archive demos added.

50 Years Ago, the digital-only release from 2017 - now discontinued - includes most of FGTR (8 songs) without strings.
    Read here if you want to delve deeper into the topic:
    https://www.genesis-news.com/c-Genes...view-s653.html

The presumed next Esoteric/Cherry Red edition of FGTR is particularly interesting because, from what can be deduced by reading Anthony Phillips' words, it will include previously unreleased material such as the complete 5/6 minutes of A Place To Call My Own and perhaps some other titles originally recorded to be part of the album, like the 1969 versions of White Mountain or Visions Of Angels.
    The list of unreleased songs confirmed to still exist from 1967-1969 is quite long, so many more could be selected for inclusion.
    Last edited by peterpyser; 1 Day Ago at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The original without the strings would almost certainly sound a lot like most of the material on the 4th CD of the Archive 67-75 box.
    And I like most of that material...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The original without the strings would almost certainly sound a lot like most of the material on the 4th CD of the Archive 67-75 box.
    1. "In the Wilderness" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford Rough mix without strings, 1968
    2. "Shepherd" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford Recorded on 22 February 1970 for the BBC radio show Night Ride
    3. "Pacidy" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford Recorded on 22 February 1970
    4. "Let Us Now Make Love" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford Recorded on 22 February 1970
    5. "Going Out to Get You" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 20 August 1969 demo at Regent Sound Studio
    6. "Dusk" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 20 August 1969 demo at Regent Sound Studio
    7. "Build Me a Mountain" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford August 1968 rough mix
    8. "Image Blown Out" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford August 1968 rough mix
    9. "One Day" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford August 1968 rough mix
    10. "Where the Sour Turns to Sweet" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1968 demo
    11. "In the Beginning" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1968 demo
    12. "The Magic of Time" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1968 demo
    13. "Hey!" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 13 March 1968 demo
    14. "Hidden in the World of Dawn" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1968 demo
    15. "Sea Bee" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1968 demo
    16. "The Mystery of the Flannan Isle Lighthouse" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1968 demo
    17. "Hair on the Arms and Legs" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1968 demo
    18. "She is Beautiful" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1967 demo, became "The Serpent" with different lyrics
    19. "Try a Little Sadness" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1967 demo
    20. "Patricia" Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford 1967 demo, became "In Hiding" with lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I wrote an article about this - while it's not the most re-issued album in history, it may be the one that's been reissued with the most different titles and album covers - several of which I feel were meant to trick the buyer into thinking this was something "new"

https://critterjams.wordpress.com/20...velation-1969/
    I don't remember where, but l remember reading perhaps 10 years ago that a license to re-release this could be had for $500. That would certainly account for 250+ versions of it, or however many there are.

Whoever said Steve Hackett will be on it either has an unusual sense of humor or doesn't know much about the history of the band. He didn't join until Nursery Cryme (their third). Same with PC.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Early acoustic Anything She Does.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes most CDs seem to have followed the Rock Roots tracklist, which I think was the first collection to contain all the Decca masters. I never really noticed a difference between the single and album 'The Silent Sun' TBH.

Some add things like 'Image Blown Out'. There have been later releases which had the Archive demos added.
    The difference between single and album versions of The Silent Sun is just mono vs stereo mix.
    A lot of CD reissues have the same bonus tracks, usually the single A and B sides, occasionnally tracks from the 4th disk of the Archive 1 box set. Some CD reissues are worth seeking out because they include an earlier demo of Image Blown Out, not available anywhere else, even on the box set. It's an interesting version with an additional section leading to the chorus. I only know 2 reissues that include it.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Yeah I have the Disky one which has 'Image...' and (from memory) 'She Is Beautiful'.

The BBC Nightride session and The Jackson Tapes are the sort of midpoint between FGTR and Trespass. The Jackson Tapes only appeared on the 2008 Gabriel-era box.

Beyond those three songs mentioned above, the Nightride session has an earlier version of 'Looking For Someone' with mumbled lyrics near the end. 'Stagnation' has a very different ending. Neither track has been officially released.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

Beyond those three songs mentioned above, the Nightride session has an earlier version of 'Looking For Someone' with mumbled lyrics near the end. 'Stagnation' has a very different ending. Neither track has been officially released.
    Yes, these versions are quite interesting in terms of looking into the band's creative process, especially in this early period. They would have been a welcome addition to the BBC boxset IMO.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.