Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The implications of AI

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Also this which is the creators original song but has put SW's voice on it. Why? Because it will get more views.

So we can imagine that the time is close to where "we" no longer will be equipped to tell if the AI is responsible or perhaps if it some form of hybrid piece .
    My hunch is that listeners will react by investing less both in the time and the money they are prepared to spend.
    This is really only the start or should that read the start of the end. Yikes. Interesting times .

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Also this which is the creators original song but has put SW's voice on it. Why? Because it will get more views.

Wow, this is the closest thing that I've heard to a spot on replication of an artist's style and mannerisms yet. I've said it all along, but this tech is only in its infancy. We may not be able to tell the difference at all, sooner than we would think, or like.

On the flip side...I guess we could all soon now 'make' our own super-proggy SW albums, if we don't like his pop inclinations?

Neil

I don't think AI itself is the real threat here but rather those fucking scammers who are using it to hurt and/or deceive others (either intentionally or due to them being uneducated about the consequences of what they're doing). It's not some evil robot that made that fake Steven Wilson track. No. It's that motherfucker E Major who typed in the prompt. Fuck this guy. But at least E Major correctly labeled that track as AI Generated so people can just refuse to play it. There are scammers out there who don't label this shit, especially those who use AI Generated cover art. Those are the worst imo.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

I wonder what this character would do, if Steven Wilson himself objected to it strongly, and asked for the video/song to be taken down. You could well be right, some of these people may not even grasp the ramifications of what they are doing. Reading some of the comments, it doesn't appear that he thinks he is doing anything that could be construed as harmful. Music has already become such an undervalued commodity as it is, and that likely isn't helping them see the big picture here.

This is all so new, it's hard for many, including myself, to even wrap their head around it. And you are right, the AI itself is not a threat, it's the users. I would say that at the very least, things should slow the fuck down and put some rules in place, before things start snowballing too far down the hill.

Neil

I find the "AI Steven Wilson" song "Solitude" very impressive and scary. There are imperfections, but it really sounds and feels like a SW song (or a Blackfield song).

It is indeed the beginning of a new era in which, once a human or an AI has established some kind of musical and/or vocal identity, AI will be able to explore the endless possibilities associated with that identity. It will do what I did when I was young : I imagined new albums by existing artists. I composed them and played them in my head. How many virtual Pink Floyd, Deep Purple or Genesis albums did I create ? Now AIs will do that quickly with the right prompting, and may be able to share it with the public.

One of the comments under the YT video made me think. Someone wrote that they liked this song "Solitude" better than some of the material on The Harmony Codex. This is the first example I encounter where an AI does better than the artist itself, at least according to one person. It is understandable, since the AI is good at producing predictable music that meets people's expectations. So yes, maybe one of these days some of us will use AI to generate "more satisfying" albums by artists who have drifted away from their previous style, as human artists tend to do.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I want to use A.I. to make David Gilmour and Roger Waters get back together. I want to use it to (finally) get a new Ritual album.

And maybe I'm tired of waiting for Jeff Lynne, Lindsay Buckingham, Steve Miller and Paul McCartney to realize they should have collaborated decades ago. Yeah, I realize 3 of these guys are megalomaniac perfectionists and that something involving all four at the same time could never get off the ground, but with A.I. I'd command it!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I want to use A.I. to make David Gilmour and Roger Waters get back together. I want to use it to (finally) get a new Ritual album.

And maybe I'm tired of waiting for Jeff Lynne, Lindsay Buckingham, Steve Miller and Paul McCartney to realize they should have collaborated decades ago. Yeah, I realize 3 of these guys are megalomaniac perfectionists and that something involving all four at the same time could never get off the ground, but with A.I. I'd command it!
    Perhaps AI can make some more Dark side of the Moog albums.