Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what would my life look like without music?

Oh, i spent too much time and money on collecting music.
    If i knew that all I ever need ++++++ will be available one day on my phone i wouldn't buy a single CD but replicate/download whatever till phone is available.

All my CDs are sitting in my warehouse and I wish i could get rid of all at once :-)

I don't have any regrets over the time i spent on learning/listening the music but more on time wasted on shipments, automatic buys, bad-medium albums, arguing about taste, working on cd publication at MIO Records, talking instead of listening, writing instead of listening etc.... :-)

Today music is still my deepest passion without the urge to collect, talk, argue, publish.... now its pure listening :-)

I do enjoy much creating those exhaustive playlists...

>M

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Not sure where you're getting at,
    Well... it's a constant, ever in flux thinking project as to what is my relationship with this music, so it's a very personal relationship. One thing that is clear to me though is, if I'm in any way attracted to a piece of art, whether it's music, painting, sculpture, poetry or even just... nature, then I consider it a disservice to the artist/creator if I DON'T give it the proper time and respect that I feel it deserves. That translates into what I mean by music, as a special event. If I can't give a particular piece of music the proper time, the deep and close listen that it deserves that just seems like a complete denigration and an act of disrespect towards the artist... and that's just wrong. Music as commodity, as it is in this age is an abomination, full stop!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I would have WAY more disposable income, for sure
    Either this, or I would own WAY more comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by MIO Records View Post
    Classical/Baroque music was funded by Church or aristocracy as well. The idea was to have the best composer around to be unique and proud with your art so money was critical for composing i guess for many decades.
    Same applies to painters, sculptures, writers etc...

The idea we now can hear anything (almost), anywhere using a phone is just insane but there are many downsides to that as today its so easy to move to the next album which makes listening to a whole album from start-end very rare.
    On the other hand: who said someone needs to hear an album? a symphony start to end? you can conduct your own performance!

I guess the next step will be to hear 20 seconds intros shuffle and like tinder swipe left-right ;-)

In my life i had quite few obsessions to learn/discover things, the only constants hobbies in my life are music, science & philosophy.

When I work I hear music, when i meet people music needs to be at least in the background, where there is no music around i think about the music i heard or about to hear next.
    Music is uplifting, music is like air for me. Can you think about driving 3-4 hours without music?
    I remember me saying that if i need to choose between being deaf or blind I will vote blind. today i am less sure about that statement but it does show the impact of music on me as an individual.

I appreciate much more today words in music, how can someone say such big things in 3-10 minutes? Although words adding a lot is still rare you can still hear those songs that makes you think: OMG! what a statement.

Still, for me instrumental music is the best because it gives me a lot of space to interpret the music as i see fit.
    I used to read about composers, now i care less about the person and more about his music (e.g. Wagner or Waters)

On my long trip to find ALL the albums there are I went through avant-garde, experimental music that today i can appreciate as a good sound research and less as music, having said that, where would we be without those experimentations of Stockhausen or Bartok or Stravinsky or Synth builders?

A book I really enjoyed reading is: https://www.amazon.com/Rest-Noise-Li.../dp/0312427719

Last: Music makes us feel individuals, unique, different and it might end up as snobby but without it and knowledge what is being a human about?

>M
    The classical era was when composers and serious musicians could earn money playing concerts. During the baroque era musician were the help. When they weren't playing music, they were serving drinks or cutting the grass. The only time they were allowed to earn money from a performance was the premier of an opera. But deducted from that was the cost of building the stage and so on. Handel died a wealthy man because he had the idea of staging oratorios rather than operas. Not having to build an elaborate stage put that much more money in his pocket.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The classical era was when composers and serious musicians could earn money playing concerts. During the baroque era musician were the help. When they weren't playing music, they were serving drinks or cutting the grass. The only time they were allowed to earn money from a performance was the premier of an opera. But deducted from that was the cost of building the stage and so on. Handel died a wealthy man because he had the idea of staging oratorios rather than operas. Not having to build an elaborate stage put that much more money in his pocket.
    churches gave composers status, money and good conditions to live in with their families.
    Handel did Oratories instead of operas? he wrote 42 operas and about 30 oratories.

Bach's family way before JS lived serving churches.

Music was always about money and status OR glorification.

The music we mostly love probably is the one that didn't surrender to business :-)

>M

Life would suck ass without music.

I also would be homeless because music pays our bills.

Trane ... Collecting is a different drug altogether. I once had a large room full of LPs and Cds but have sold most of it off to build a studio where I can make my own. You really don't have to spend money to hear music anymore. You do need a computer and good speakers though. No need to store files either, unless you want to contribute to an artist monetarily. I've finally lost the urge to own the plastic and paper that music is wrapped in.

My life would be pretty dull without music though. I consider it a connection to moments of spiritual enlightenment. Like meditation only more entertaining.
    Still alive and well...
    https://bakullama1.bandcamp.com/

"Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

ON THE FLIP SIDE OF THE COIN, SO TO SPEAK:

I am now 70 years old. My first memories of listening to music starts in the late 50s with AM radio on ever increasing sized radios. Pop, R&B, permeated my life. My first LP purchase was Meet the Beatles. I literally wore that album out. I still have it. It's hanging on the wall in my music room. Listening to music has been a major part of my life. I've had 2 very large music collections. Left one behind in the 90s when the music I listened to seemed to have ceased to exist and I had become disillusioned with the music business. I have another one now, built from about the last 10 or so years. More stereo equipment than I could ever use.

3 years ago I was told I was going deaf and had already lost about 90% of the hearing in my left ear. That, along with developing Tinnitus and apparently becoming partially tone deaf, listening to music has become almost unbearable. Music I know very well no longer sounds correct, and I can't be sure if I'm hearing new music correctly or not. But I keep trying. I buy new releases but rarely listen to them. I've completely stopped going to live performances.

I have one very serious piece of advise for every music lover or musician out there. PROTECT YOUR HEARING. Hearing loss will creep up on you and by the time you realize it's happening it'll already be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by MIO Records View Post
    churches gave composers status, money and good conditions to live in with their families.
    Handel did Oratories instead of operas? he wrote 42 operas and about 30 oratories.

Bach's family way before JS lived serving churches.

Music was always about money and status OR glorification.

The music we mostly love probably is the one that didn't surrender to business :-)

>M
    Yes Handel did write operas. But oratorios, which continued on after his last opera proved very lucrative for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Trane ... Collecting is a different drug altogether. I once had a large room full of LPs and Cds but have sold most of it off to build a studio where I can make my own. You really don't have to spend money to hear music anymore. You do need a computer and good speakers though. No need to store files either, unless you want to contribute to an artist monetarily. I've finally lost the urge to own the plastic and paper that music is wrapped in.

My life would be pretty dull without music though. I consider it a connection to moments of spiritual enlightenment. Like meditation only more entertaining.
    As stated in other threads, I suffer the same affliction as book collectors. They own more books than they can read in a lifetime. I own more music than I can listen to in a lifetime.

Without music the World would Bb
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Very #sharp answer.

And Frank once said:
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

I got the double bug although not as serious as some here. I have my music and my books. I know life would have been much less enjoyable w/o either. On one hand its nice not having to have the physical product anymore and I'm starting to sell or give away some of my music. It was endless fun hunting some of the albums down, reading the lyrics and on some occasions, looking at the artwork on the covers. What is not fun is the packing and unpacking each time I move. Kind of takes the thrill out of it. I don't like reading for enjoyment on a computer or tablet. Call me old fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    What'd you get when you drop a piano down the mineshaft? A♭m.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

I have a complicated relationship with music these days. I will play a CD in the car but it has to be something without a personal connection. Most music that l truly love just depresses me and brings back painful memories of the life l enjoyed, before it became the living hell that l am in every day now, since about 2016.
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    I have a complicated relationship with music these days. I will play a CD in the car but it has to be something without a personal connection. Most music that l truly love just depresses me and brings back painful memories of the life l enjoyed, before it became the living hell that l am in every day now, since about 2016.
    I'm truly sorry to read this!

My best to you!!

Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    I'm truly sorry to read this!

My best to you!!

Michael
    Thank you so much. It means a lot to me. Honestly.
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I got the double bug although not as serious as some here. I have my music and my books. I know life would have been much less enjoyable w/o either. On one hand its nice not having to have the physical product anymore and I'm starting to sell or give away some of my music. It was endless fun hunting some of the albums down, reading the lyrics and on some occasions, looking at the artwork on the covers. What is not fun is the packing and unpacking each time I move. Kind of takes the thrill out of it. I don't like reading for enjoyment on a computer or tablet. Call me old fashioned.

Actually I don't miss this part at all.
    I won't say that I wasted tons of hours looking through record bins in the hope to finding the odd gem

When I first got on the web (circa 04), I found it sooooo much more enjoyable to find (and order) the record than the fruitless hours of searching for it the previous decade. Nowadays, when I now go to a B&M record store, I hardly look through the bins, I just ask to see if they've got what I'm searching for, or at least point me to where to look.

I don't move all that much anymore, but I will make one final one, reuniting my two pads at retirement time, but the merging into a single library room will certainly lead to some unloading of stuff I don't find indispensible, though I don't see myself ever go dematerialized for music & books.

sorry to hear that.
    I rarely link music to my own life pictures, but on the odd occasion I do (Los Javais for ex), it was happy memories.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I wish l could separate music from my life experiences but they are just too intertwined, in every instance. Many, many, are linked way too closely. I have wanted to go back to Progday for many years ('retired' in 2016 after 20 years), but l think l would just sit in the grass and cry all weekend.
    I guess that all speaks to a deep connection l have to music, but so deep that l had to lose it.

I wish l could separate music from my life experiences but they are just too intertwined, in every instance. Many, many, are linked way too closely. I have wanted to go back to Progday for many years ('retired' in 2016 after 20 years), but l think l would just sit in the grass and cry all weekend.
    I guess that all speaks to a deep connection l have to music, but so deep that l had to lose it.
    I am really sorry to hear you are still having troubles. I hope for the best for you.

The house would be completely remodeled.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am really sorry to hear you are still having troubles. I hope for the best for you.
    Thanks so much Steve. Love ya man.

I won't say that I wasted tons of hours looking through record bins in the hope to finding the odd gem
    The resurgence of vinyl has rendered that obsolete. Now that old records are worth something again, only the absolute rubbish ends up at thrift stores. There's no longer any point whatsoever digging through the records at thrift stores.

Without music, I might have killed myself. It's the joy of making music that keeps me relatively happy.

When I first got on the web (circa 04), I found it sooooo much more enjoyable to find (and order) the record than the fruitless hours of searching for it the previous decade. Nowadays, when I now go to a B&M record store, I hardly look through the bins, I just ask to see if they've got what I'm searching for, or at least point me to where to look.

I don't move all that much anymore, but I will make one final one, reuniting my two pads at retirement time, but the merging into a single library room will certainly lead to some unloading of stuff I don't find indispensible, though I don't see myself ever go dematerialized for music & books.

I prefer browsing through brick and mortar stores over buying online. I have more memories on albums I bought that way, than on stuff I bought online. It might be easier, but it also gives an unlimited choice, making things less memorable.