Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what would my life look like without music?

what would my life look like without music?

The history of music dates back to the dawn of humanity. Evidence suggests that prehistoric humans might have used their voices and simple instruments to create music long before they developed spoken language. Early music likely mimicked the sounds of nature—bird songs, the rustling of leaves, and the rhythmic patter of rain. Archeological findings, such as bone flutes and ancient drums, suggest that music was an integral part of early human societies, used in rituals, communication, and social bonding.

As humans formed complex societies, music evolved into an essential cultural element. In ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, and China, music was deeply intertwined with religious and cultural practices. The Greeks, for instance, developed the concept of musical scales and modes, believing that music had the power to influence emotions and behavior. Chinese music, documented as early as the Zhou Dynasty, emphasized harmony and the cosmological order.

The Middle Ages brought both Sacred and Secular Music. Music in Europe was predominantly sacred, with Gregorian chant being the primary form. These chants were monophonic, consisting of a single melodic line, and were integral to religious ceremonies. As time progressed, secular music began to flourish, with troubadours and minstrels performing songs about love, chivalry, and epic tales. The invention of musical notation in the 9th century was a significant milestone, allowing music to be documented and shared more widely.

In the Renaissance the world saw a rebirth of musical exploration. The Renaissance era marked a profound transformation in music, characterized by increased use of harmony, polyphony, and the development of new musical forms. Composers like Palestrina and Josquin des Prez pushed the boundaries of choral music, while instrumental music gained prominence. This period also saw the birth of the opera, blending music, theater, and dance into a new and expressive art form.

Then the big bang happened and the Baroque and Classical Eras came to invent "modern" music with far better instruments, complexity and structured music for large ensemble's.
    The Baroque era (1600-1750) introduced greater complexity in musical compositions, with composers like Bach, Handel, and Vivaldi exploring intricate harmonies and ornamental styles. Music became a powerful means of expression, often reflecting the grandeur of the era.
    Science started to take place and other forms of art of course which changed our lives.

The Classical period (1750-1820) shifted towards clarity and balance. Composers such as Mozart, Haydn, and Beethoven emphasized structured forms like the symphony and sonata, creating music that was both sophisticated and accessible. This era laid the groundwork for the modern orchestral tradition.

The Romantic Era: Emotion and Individuality. The Romantic era (19th century) saw composers like Chopin, Liszt, and Wagner breaking away from the constraints of classical forms to explore deep emotional expression and individuality. Music became more personal and introspective, often inspired by literature, nature, and personal experiences. This period also saw the rise of nationalistic music, with composers drawing inspiration from their native cultures and folk traditions.

The 20th Century: Innovation and Diversity. The 20th century was a time of unprecedented musical innovation. The advent of recording technology and radio transformed how music was disseminated and experienced. Genres like jazz, blues, and rock 'n' roll emerged, reflecting the diverse cultural and social changes of the time. Composers like Stravinsky and Schoenberg challenged traditional notions of harmony and rhythm, leading to new avant-garde movements.

The 1960s and 1970s were transformative decades for music, marked by an explosion of creativity and experimentation. This period saw the emergence of psychedelic music, progressive rock, singer-songwriters, and significant developments in jazz, among other genres.

The Psychedelic Music scene was a game changer together with strait forward rock. Psychedelic music emerged as a defining genre of the 1960s, influenced by the counterculture movement and the use of mind-altering substances. Bands like The Beatles, The Doors, and Pink Floyd explored new sonic landscapes, using innovative studio techniques and unconventional instruments. Albums such as "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "The Dark Side of the Moon" are iconic examples of this genre, characterized by surreal lyrics, extended instrumental solos, and a focus on creating an immersive auditory experience.

Then came: Progressive Rock....
    Progressive rock, or prog rock, pushed the boundaries of traditional rock music by incorporating elements from classical, jazz, and electronic music. Bands like Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson were at the forefront of this movement, known for their complex compositions, technical proficiency, and elaborate live performances. Prog rock albums often featured long tracks with intricate structures and thematic cohesion, offering a listening experience that demanded attention and contemplation.

The 1960s and 1970s also saw the rise of the singer-songwriter, a genre characterized by introspective lyrics and a focus on the individual artist's voice and vision. Artists like Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Leonard Cohen became prominent figures, known for their poetic lyrics and ability to convey deep personal and political themes through music. This period emphasized the authenticity and emotional depth of the artist, leading to some of the most enduring and influential songs in music history.

The Influence of Jazz
    Jazz continued to evolve during the 1960s and 1970s, branching out into various subgenres and influencing other musical styles. This period saw the development of spiritual jazz, with artists like John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders exploring themes of spirituality and transcendence through their music. Albums such as Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" are considered masterpieces of spiritual jazz, blending intense improvisation with a profound sense of purpose and emotion.

Other Genres
    The late 1960s and 1970s were also fertile ground for the development of other genres. Funk, led by artists like James Brown and Parliament-Funkadelic, brought a new rhythmic intensity to music, characterized by strong bass lines and syncopated rhythms. Disco emerged as a dominant genre in the late 1970s, with its infectious beats and glamorous style, leading to a dance music revolution.

How would our world look without Music?
    Imagining a world without music is challenging, as it is so deeply woven into the fabric of human existence. Music is the native tongue for many, a universal language that transcends cultural and linguistic barriers. It is a powerful means of expression, capable of conveying emotions and ideas that words often cannot.

Without music, the world would likely feel incomplete, lacking an essential mode of emotional and artistic expression. Rituals, celebrations, and social gatherings would lose their vibrancy. The absence of lullabies would make the bond between parents and infants less soothing and intimate. The emotional and psychological impact of music, which has been shown to reduce stress, enhance mood, and even aid in healing, would be sorely missed.

Creativity and cultural identity would suffer without music. It serves as a repository of cultural heritage and history, reflecting the evolution of societies and their values. Innovations in music often mirror technological advancements and societal shifts, driving cultural progress.

In personal life, music offers solace, motivation, and connection. It can be a refuge in times of sorrow, a companion in solitude, and a unifying force in community. For those who, like you, find words inadequate, music provides a profound and direct form of communication, allowing for a richer, more nuanced expression of the human experience.

Music is an intrinsic part of human history, reflecting and shaping our emotions, cultures, and societies. It is a testament to our creativity and capacity for expression, a universal language that resonates deeply within us. A world without music would be a world diminished, stripped of a vital, soul-enriching element that makes us fundamentally human.

How would my world look without music? empty! just empty.

thoughts?

>M

Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
    And he was right!

I dunno, sometimes I feel like my life would be a lot happier without music. Or at least, with a lot less music in it.

Nice write-up. One thing missing from your essay is the impact that money has had on music. Starting in the 1970s, music became BIG BUSINESS and the businesses in charge of music got greedy, record companies latched onto the idea of trying to replicate what was successful, sacrificing creativity. Although this started in the 1970s, in my opinion it has gotten worse decade-by-decade. Now influenced by digital technology (sampling and sequencing, downloading, AI), we are in an era where being a musician is no longer relevant to making music. Virtuosity is often ignored, or is not a key to success.

Anyway, that aside, I can't imagine life without music. I agree that my life would be empty, but even more, music is something that helps me work. Its on almost continuously while I work.

“Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is THE BEST.”
    FZ

Very cool write up. I would argue that hip-hop, rap, EDM, and even country should also be included in your analysis even though I am not a fan of any of those genres.

I can’t imagine my life without music. Although I am not a musician (although I did play French Horn & Piano when I was young), I listen to music every day. Sometimes I sit and concentrate on it, sometimes it is background noise for other activities, but I am always listening and is a big part of my life. Also, my favorite thing in life when I was 17 was to drink a few beers and go to a good concert. That has not changed at 62. Going to a good show is still my favorite thing to do in life.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 07-07-2024 at 11:51 AM.

For me, my relationship with music has changed over the last 5 years or so. Before that, it was a constant companion, always, in some way sharing my environment.

Now, for reasons that are more personal, I've re-catergorized my interaction with music to the status of music as an event, and a very special event at that. I no longer experience music as a constant in my life, it's been shifted to something akin to the sacred. So... if I look at that way, having music in my world ubiquitously would somehow demean the art in itself. I now experience music at the level of subjectivity that only "I", as a discrete entity is aloud to experience. Therefore, all my music listenings have been given a status that is above the everyday, above the mundane and the banal, above the technocratic swill that the extrinsic world has become.

So, music is a deep relationship with me trying, and mostly failing, but continuing to try to reveal what is it about music that allows oneself to get lost in one's own imaginal zone and experience something that can be construed as "sublime" and it's a highly private, personal experience.

...hope I made a little sense here

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Music, like all art, is for my enjoyment. I'm not looking for any deeper meaning to life that just the pleasure of listening to something I like. Same regarding books, movies, TV shows and even video games. I don't need my world rocked, shattered or turned upside-down. I don't need to watch Godzilla Versus Kong and then sit thinking about it for two days. I don't need to listen to some live recording of Weather Report from 1978 and sit shivering because I'm stunned. I'm too old for that. I just want to enjoy music. If I'm lucky, it will be memorable enough for me to want to listen again sometimes to enjoy once more. That's about it.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quoting Howard Goodall: prior to recording, music wasn't much a part of most people's lives. One would be fortunate to hear their favorite symphony twice in a lifetime.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Quoting Howard Goodall: prior to recording, music wasn't much a part of most people's lives. One would be fortunate to hear their favorite symphony twice in a lifetime.
    Good point.

Playing music and going to concerts keeps me fulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Nice write-up. One thing missing from your essay is the impact that money has had on music. Starting in the 1970s, music became BIG BUSINESS and the businesses in charge of music got greedy, record companies latched onto the idea of trying to replicate what was successful, sacrificing creativity. Although this started in the 1970s, in my opinion it has gotten worse decade-by-decade. Now influenced by digital technology (sampling and sequencing, downloading, AI), we are in an era where being a musician is no longer relevant to making music. Virtuosity is often ignored, or is not a key to success.

Anyway, that aside, I can't imagine life without music. I agree that my life would be empty, but even more, music is something that helps me work. Its on almost continuously while I work.
    I agree...and the key word is business. Music is an art form which follows many paths. The music business...whether the national circuit or the local dive bar is designed typically to follow one path...as opposed to treating music as a natural art form where it inspires musicians. They'd rather force music to be something that it's not by making up shit...or making it contrived. By following an element or a series of elements to dazzle people instead of just allowing music to happen naturally. It makes little difference as to the music being underground or commercially viable. Lots of hit records were sincere not phony. It doesn't make sense that they do this for profit. They could make the same profit or even more if they didn't. A real musician should never be confined...or perhaps be confined for too long. The music will suffer in the end and real inspiration will not be part of creating something.

I would have WAY more disposable income, for sure

But I love my music, no regrets
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I dunno, sometimes I feel like my life would be a lot happier without music. Or at least, with a lot less music in it.
    Chris, I have to ask why you believe this.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I would own a top of the line sports car (no shit).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

In recent years, the music I put on late at night has become a "palette cleanser" for all the music that I hear during the day (in TV shows, commercials, radio, grocery stores, bars, friends' houses,etc.), usually stuff I don't like at all.

It works quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Chris, I have to ask why you believe this.
    Hard to put into words. Sometimes I feel like, due to my personality type, maybe I was better of not being so into music as I am. I think it's done more harm to my relationship with the rest of the world than anything else. And it's certainly done a great deal of harm to my bank balance. I'm not always sure it was "worth it".

But then, what would I have been into? Sports? Comic books? Drugs?

What's that line from "When The Music's Over"? Oh yeah... "Music is your only friend". It can set you apart from the world; you can only live one life. Not the worst one you could live, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Hard to put into words. Sometimes I feel like, due to my personality type, maybe I was better of not being so into music as I am. I think it's done more harm to my relationship with the rest of the world than anything else. And it's certainly done a great deal of harm to my bank balance. I'm not always sure it was "worth it".

But then, what would I have been into? Sports? Comic books? Drugs?
    As someone who is good at multi-tasking all of the things you mentioned, I'd just like to point out that they aren't mutually exclusive.

There would be more cave paintings.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Without music, I'd probably be a regular joe (not that I am that much more with music)
    I've got other passions than music, but not as big, though I never went to the next step as to playing it (I tried but never persevered).
    But I don't what I'd be into without "Music"

I never tried to actually indulge as "creating" in my other passions either.
    I guess I'm not tat much a creative guy.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    How can you tell what would be your fave music if you've only heard it twice?

Bourgeois in the XIXthC and aristocracy in XVIIthC had access to regular music, only because they played it themselves (or paid musicians) to play in their homes their choice of music

Otherwise,the common people had access to music either in church or town festivities, not being able to choose what they wanted to hear
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Classical/Baroque music was funded by Church or aristocracy as well. The idea was to have the best composer around to be unique and proud with your art so money was critical for composing i guess for many decades.
    Same applies to painters, sculptures, writers etc...

The idea we now can hear anything (almost), anywhere using a phone is just insane but there are many downsides to that as today its so easy to move to the next album which makes listening to a whole album from start-end very rare.
    On the other hand: who said someone needs to hear an album? a symphony start to end? you can conduct your own performance!

I guess the next step will be to hear 20 seconds intros shuffle and like tinder swipe left-right ;-)

In my life i had quite few obsessions to learn/discover things, the only constants hobbies in my life are music, science & philosophy.

When I work I hear music, when i meet people music needs to be at least in the background, where there is no music around i think about the music i heard or about to hear next.
    Music is uplifting, music is like air for me. Can you think about driving 3-4 hours without music?
    I remember me saying that if i need to choose between being deaf or blind I will vote blind. today i am less sure about that statement but it does show the impact of music on me as an individual.

I appreciate much more today words in music, how can someone say such big things in 3-10 minutes? Although words adding a lot is still rare you can still hear those songs that makes you think: OMG! what a statement.

Still, for me instrumental music is the best because it gives me a lot of space to interpret the music as i see fit.
    I used to read about composers, now i care less about the person and more about his music (e.g. Wagner or Waters)

On my long trip to find ALL the albums there are I went through avant-garde, experimental music that today i can appreciate as a good sound research and less as music, having said that, where would we be without those experimentations of Stockhausen or Bartok or Stravinsky or Synth builders?

A book I really enjoyed reading is: https://www.amazon.com/Rest-Noise-Li.../dp/0312427719

Last: Music makes us feel individuals, unique, different and it might end up as snobby but without it and knowledge what is being a human about?

>M

Recorded music was always "big business", whether in the early XXth C (when it catered only for the rich) or Sinatra times.
    Radio was big business before WW2.
    Of course, it (music) started going global from the mid-60's onwards and exploded globally in the 80's, when it became more democratic (finalicially accessible), but this can be said about everything (cars, holidays, etc...-

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    For me, my relationship with music has changed over the last 5 years or so. Before that, it was a constant companion, always, in some way sharing my environment. Now, for reasons that are more personal, I've re-catergorized my interaction with music to the status of music as an event, and a very special event at that. I no longer experience music as a constant in my life, it's been shifted to something akin to the sacred. So... if I look at that way, having music in my world ubiquitously would somehow demean the art in itself. I now experience music at the level of subjectivity that only "I", as a discrete entity is aloud to experience. Therefore, all my music listenings have been given a status that is above the everyday, above the mundane and the banal, above the technocratic swill that the extrinsic world has become.

So, music is a deep relationship with me trying, and mostly failing, but continuing to try to reveal what is it about music that allows oneself to get lost in one's own imaginal zone and experience something that can be construed as "sublime" and it's a highly private, personal experience.
    Not sure where you're getting at, but for me, I'm getting to the point where I wonder if continuing my passions (not only music) has reached a max and has not been a mean to amass stuff (albums, books, frames, etc...), when I am starting to think that space (empty space) is not just a luxury, but a real comfort (do I really need all I've bought?).
    There are times when I look at all that clutters my living space is not just pure consumerism (something I loathe)

Also, I am pondering a move in the next years and will have to move two "pads" into only one (because of retirement) and am currently considering drastic cuts in my piles of books & records, but also household appliances I own twice (kitchen, bedrom, sofas, furniture, Hi-Fi, etc...).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I would have WAY more disposable income, for sure

But I love my music, no regrets
    What John said. And it's been worth every penny!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.