Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands with no original members left

Bands with no original members left

YES being one.How many others are there?

Canned Heat
    The Flying Burrito Brothers
    Blood, Sweat & Tears
    Sha Na Na

I'm pretty sure they are all still touring outfits, but with no originals left.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Soft Machine

The eons are closing
    Lynyrd Skynyrd

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Do fake bands count? Such as the fake Moby Grape and the fake Fleetwood Mac when the managers claimed to own the names, not the bands.

If I remember correctly from Dave Cousins' biography, that the Strawbs played a couple of shows without Dave Cousins when he was the last original member. If I read right, those shows did not go over very well.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Uz Jsme Doma

Miroslav Wanek - vocals, guitar, piano, main songwriter, bandleader - joined about six months to a year in. So technically he isn't an original member.

A few off the top of my head:

Little River Band: The current touring version of the band has only Wayne Nelson from the legacy years and he did not join until 1980 (sang lead on the hit “The Night Owls” and co-lead on “Take It Easy On Me”.) There is currently no one from Australia in the band that came from Australia.

Molly Hatchett: The entire original lineup of MH are deceased. Many of the replacement members are also dead. There is still a band out there touring as Molly Hatchett with Bobby Ingram as the band leader who did not join until 1987.

April Wine: With the death of Myles Goodwyn, the current touring version of April Wine has no original members. Guitarist Brian Greenway, from what many consider the classic lineup, leads the band today, but did not join the band until 1977 8 years after the band was formed. They are actually playing a show near me in a few weeks.

Blackfoot: Not sure if they are still touring, but they were fairly recently . Although Ricky Medlocke still owns the band name he is not a member of the touring outfit. They are all hired guns that were picked by Medlocke, but none of them in the original band.

Gong.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Foreigner, although they are supposedly calling it a day sometime soon. I guess Mick Jones doesn't want the band to go on forever although I am not convinced they won't come back!

Technically Renaissance...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    yes
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Foreigner, although they are supposedly calling it a day sometime soon. I guess Mick Jones doesn't want the band to go on forever although I am not convinced they won't come back!
    Good one. I forgot about them. I saw them about a year ago. The current band puts on a great show, but Mick (who is still officially a member) was nowhere to be found. From what I haver read his parkinsons has advanced to the point where he completely given up on live performing.

The first two that always come to mind are Yes and Tangerine Dream.

Ramones
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Tangerine Dream and Gong are interesting ones to me. Seems like they should have ended with the deaths of E Froese and D Allen but were passed on like a corporation to new workers.

There were two competing Gongs at one point, though.

And while Daevid always had that central, psychedelic conceptual vision, he depended a lot upon whatever collaborators he had in the band for the actual music, and that changed over the years. The last Gong had something of a funk influence, for example, due to Dave Sturt. So as long as they preserve a certain "Gongness", I could see the band being able to keep on gonging without him.

Quote Originally Posted by SWT View Post
    Soft Machine
    Good one... True since 1976!

There are a lot of bands still active these days where there is an original member on the roster but they don't tour or only tour occasionally with the group. Foreigner is mentioned above. The Guess Who and Iron Butterfly right now are like that. I understand Kansas has done some shows with no original members recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Gong.
    Let’s start a new thread. “Bands with no original members but that hardly matters because the band that’s named as such absolutely kicks ass.”

Not a very pithy thread title, to be sure, but wholly accurate in Gong’s case.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I was gonna say Kansas, but I think Rich Williams is still a member.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I was gonna say Kansas, but I think Rich Williams is still a member.
    Yes and Phil Ehart, although he is sitting out live performances right now.

Yeah, Ehart is a non-performing member.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Let’s start a new thread. “Bands with no original members but that hardly matters because the band that’s named as such absolutely kicks ass.”

Not a very pithy thread title, to be sure, but wholly accurate in Gong’s case.
    You beat me to it. To be honest I like the current lineup of Gong's stuff better than a lot of what is considered the classic stuff. I always like "You", but a lot of Gong's albums left me cold. I have enjoyed the last several Gong albums a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Yeah, Ehart is a non-performing member.
    I believe he has been coming on towards the end of the show and finishing performances similar to what Alan White did for a while in Yes. From everything I have read Ehart will most likely eventually be back in the drum seat full time once he has regained his strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Technically Renaissance...
    Renaissance had no original members on the Prologue album. On the Carnegie Hall album, Michael introduced a song from their "first album," Prologue.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Another category would be bands that made albums with completely different lineups. Only 2 spring to mind at the moment: Nektar and Crack The Sky.