Thread: Recent returnee to vinyl ... what are the best pressings of the Genesis catalog?

Recent returnee to vinyl ... what are the best pressings of the Genesis catalog?

Hey Guys and Gals,

I've recently made the return to vinyl records after several decades away. I'd like your opinion on what are the best pressings out there of the Genesis catalog on vinyl, especially the 5- and 4-member Genesis!

Thank you!

The Analogue Productions collaboration with Atlantic Records has so far resulted in the 45rpm editions of SEBTP and Lamb. These are the original mixes and sound fantastic. More titles are in the pipeline.

Ken, have you been able to compare the AP editions to any original pressings? Some over on the Hoffman boards are complaining about a dropout during Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

I have the Classic Records pressings of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England and The Lamb. They are now very expensive and hard to find but I've been very happy with them.

Edit: some rave about the MFSL version of A Trick of the Tail. It's a nice quiet pressing but I don't think it's anything special over a UK or US pressing. I'll be interested to hear what AP does with it spread over 45 rpm vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Ken, have you been able to compare the AP editions to any original pressings? Some over on the Hoffman boards are complaining about a dropout during Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

I have the Classic Records pressings of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England and The Lamb. They are now very expensive and hard to find but I've been very happy with them.

Edit: some rave about the MFSL version of A Trick of the Tail. It's a nice quiet pressing but I don't think it's anything special over a UK or US pressing. I'll be interested to hear what AP does with it spread over 45 rpm vinyl.
    I like the 45rpm cuts but with caveats. I have the Classic Records pressings. I think the 45rpm Lamb is excellent but I have a slight preference for the Classic. I think the 45rpm SEBTP is a hair better than the 33. I could just live with the 33 and be happy not to get up and flip every 10 min.

Some years ago I was gifted a 45rpm test pressing of SEBTP from Classics Records that never went into production (until now). Only 20 numbered copies were pressing by Michael Hobson. The metal parts were used for this new pressing.

https://www.rhino.com/article/now-av...eissues-wave-1

I have a few of these Rhino re-issues. I like them. Otherwise, German first issues in NM condition on charisma or Philips are what I look for.
    https://www.rhino.com/search?search=genesis
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 07-08-2024 at 01:04 PM.

OG Charisma pressings are available for about £20 but mostly sell from the UK, so shipping is crazy pricey.

^ Original UK pressings of Trespass, Nursery Cryme, and Foxtrot are considerably more expensive than that for Ex/Ex or better copies.

Trespass and Nursery Cryme originally came out on the 'pink scroll' Charisma label. Those and the Decca debut have always been the most valuable AFAIK, because they didn't sell that much in the UK at the time. (They picked up interest as the band grew in popularity.)

I think after that, all the albums through to and including ATTWT were originally on the 'mad hatter' label (though the size of the 'mad hatter' changed on later copies).

I guess one issue with Genesis on record is the length of many of their albums! 50-55 minutes is good value for a fan, but difficult for a cutting engineer to do justice to on two sides.

The newer releases not on boutique labels would be the remixes. I gather they sound better than the CDs/SACDs, but I still wouldn't bother with those TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo Prog Fan View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,

I've recently made the return to vinyl records after several decades away. I'd like your opinion on what are the best pressings out there of the Genesis catalog on vinyl, especially the 5- and 4-member Genesis!

Thank you!
    It’s very title dependent, from what I understand. I haven’t heard multiple versions of every album, but would say the following: for Lamb, IMO a US Porky is arguably just as good as the new AP 45, though the sound signature is a bit different; a Japanese Duke is reportedly one of the only pressings of that on vinyl that sounds good (though I’ve never heard one); IMO ATTWT sounds bad on vinyl (probably due to length), and IMO the original US Seconds Out isn’t too good either - I listen to both of these on CD. I have a Japanese 3 Sides Live and find it to be neither here nor there.

I don’t have Trick of the Tail on vinyl and plan to get the AP 45. I do not plan to get the AP 45 of Abacab or Genesis, as I have US originals of these and think that they sound very good.

Been doing a bit of research and found that ALMOST all Rhino records are analog sourced from original master tapes when made available. Rhino gets good reviews consistently and mine sound great.

I found out also that early Genesis original master tapes were plagued with tape hiss and most remasters underwent noise reduction , which unfortunately also reduces many highs.

Beware of 180 and 200 gram pressings by Earmark and men with beards pressings. Horrible. Although I don’t think any genesis was released on these turds.

Just an aside and off topic, but the old RCA dyna flex discs are superb when in good condition. Play any Mainman dyna flex Bowie record and be amazed. I also have Michael Nesmith RCA dyna’s and the sound is just beautiful. Elvis liked them! lol

Any and all American WB are the worst IMO

In the end it’s our personal preference and our ears that determine quality differences. A lot of people claim that 180s and 200s have a
    Muddy low end, lousy mids, and inaudible highs. I have a hawkwind ISOS on earmark that has all three of these problems.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 07-09-2024 at 10:15 PM.

This is all great information ... keep it coming!

I'm intrigued by the AP 45 pressings.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It’s very title dependent, from what I understand. I haven’t heard multiple versions of every album, but would say the following: for Lamb, IMO a US Porky is arguably just as good as the new AP 45, though the sound signature is a bit different; a Japanese Duke is reportedly one of the only pressings of that on vinyl that sounds good (though I’ve never heard one).
    I have a Japanese Duke and it really doesn't sound much better than a US pressing. It's really hard to cram 55 minutes of music on a single LP and get it to sound good; I will say that the vinyl is incredibly quiet as most Japanese pressings are. Until/unless Duke gets the 45rpm treatment-and I don't think it will-if you have a US or UK or Japan cut, that's as good as it's going to get. On the other hand, Duke was never the greatest sounding record anyway, not even on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Been doing a bit of research and found that ALMOST all Rhino records are analog sourced from original master tapes when made available. Rhino gets good reviews consistently and mine sound great.
    None of the Rhino Genesis reissues are analog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I have a Japanese Duke and it really doesn't sound much better than a US pressing. It's really hard to cram 55 minutes of music on a single LP and get it to sound good; I will say that the vinyl is incredibly quiet as most Japanese pressings are. Until/unless Duke gets the 45rpm treatment-and I don't think it will-if you have a US or UK or Japan cut, that's as good as it's going to get. On the other hand, Duke was never the greatest sounding record anyway, not even on CD.
    ATTWT too. I can’t listen to ATTWT on vinyl - every copy I’ve had sounds thin, quiet, and and dimensionless.

Strangely enough, I got an ad on YouTube for the upcoming remastered rerelease of Genesis's studio albums on 180 gram vinyl.

13 Genesis Studio Albums To Be Reissued On 180g Vinyl Worldwide

Yes, Burning Shed has these for preorder as well: https://burningshed.com/artists/artists_genesis

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo Prog Fan View Post
    Strangely enough, I got an ad on YouTube for the upcoming remastered rerelease of Genesis's studio albums on 180 gram vinyl.

13 Genesis Studio Albums To Be Reissued On 180g Vinyl Worldwide
    "Pressed on 180g vinyl, the reissues—featuring Nick Davis mixed and remastered versions—will be available in three waves."

Nick Davis mix and master? I think that is digital, right? Seems like these are basically re-presses from the previously released vinyl - Or am I wrong here?