Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Album They Should've Stopped With

UK - s/t

^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^Wow. Relayer is pretty early. The Styx is kind of early too. Have you heard their last one? It's suppose to be very proggy and very good. For LZ I could never stop before Physical Graffiti(my favorite of theirs) but maybe that's just me. No opinion about Genesis?
    Po8 is about right. They were never the same afterwards and XXIst C albums shouldn't really count.
    Graffiti is a bottom-of-drawers scrapping, IMHO (though a fair one) with a couple of new tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Johnny Winter "Hey, Where's Your Brother?"

Although his final one is pretty special.
    I'd say White Hot & Blue for Johnny & Come Out At Night for Edgar. Sure Johnny had OK albums afterwards, but just rehashing au gout du jour.

Pat Travers >> Black Pearl
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^Wow. Relayer is pretty early. The Styx is kind of early too. Have you heard their last one? It's suppose to be very proggy and very good. For LZ I could never stop before Physical Graffiti(my favorite of theirs) but maybe that's just me. No opinion about Genesis?
    I am not the biggest Genesis fan and I'm missing everything after 1980. I'd probably stop with Duke and some days with Selling England.

But as I said, I realize there is a lot of stuff that came later for the bands I listed that I like. It's just that after that point things got more uneven.

I would have liked to include Paradise Theater and Crash Of The Crown, but beginning with Cornerstone (which has a few tunes I like) things got uneven, IMO. I was a huge Led Zep fan and they were a huge influence on me when it comes to playing guitar, but I just wasn't as interested in the material after Houses (although in that case I would have liked to include In Through The Out Door). I know I'm probably in the minority here.
    <sig out of order>

My personal picks. Not trying to convince anyone, but I tried to cut if off where I felt the “spirit” of the band had left the building. Some are harder because the “spirit” sometimes left and came back (King Crimson), but these are basically my cutoff points.

Yes – Going for the One. I like some tracks on Tormato and Drama a lot and actually own both of those albums, but it’s just not the same to me after GftO.

ELP – Brain Salad Surgery. I love Fanfare and Pirates from Works I, but I can live without any of the other ELP material on their later albums. I do own and enjoy ELPowell, and had this been a final reunion ELP album, I’d probably include it, especially if it had Fanfare and Pirates on it.

Jethro Tull – I’d say Stormwatch. A is a pretty good record, but not really such a great Jethro Tull record. It should have been an IA solo album, as it was intended to be. The only one that gives me pause is Crest of a Knave, which is the last album that truly harkens back to a ghost of their 70s sound with some longer tracks and some stretching out instrumentally. I actually love that album, but my head tells me that the real Jethro Tull ended with Stormwatch.

Genesis – Wind & Wuthering. I like a track or two on some later albums, but own nothing past W&W.

Gentle Giant – Interview. I like some tracks on TMP and Civilian, but I wouldn’t be crying if they never released these albums.

Pink Floyd – The Wall, possibly Animals

Styx – Pieces of Eight.

ELO – Out of the Blue

Queen – Jazz, or possibly even News of the World. I like a lot of material on Jazz but dislike a lot of it as well.

Boston – Don’t Look Back

King Crimson – Tough one. In some sense, I’d say Red, but I really love their last three studio albums. It’s the 80s trio that I’m not sold on. Discipline is OK, but it doesn’t really sound like KC to me. I just find Beat and ToaPP to be tepid rehashes of Discipline. I guess if those albums were a path to the later 90s reincarnations, I can live with it, but I’d be fine with it if we could have just skipped from Red to THRAK.

Led Zeppelin – I don’t love Presence, but I love several songs on it. I do really enjoy In Through the Out Door, but some of that is pure nostalgia. In all, I’m happy to have all the Zeppelin albums, even if the last two are a bit uneven at times. I don’t think they fell nearly as far musically as any of the other groups I mentioned.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd say White Hot & Blue for Johnny & Come Out At Night for Edgar. Sure Johnny had OK albums afterwards, but just rehashing au gout du jour.
    Really? I mean, what followed is blues. But "Let Me In" is considered one of his best.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ^^^

Po8 is about right. They were never the same afterwards and XXIst C albums shouldn't really count.
    Graffiti is a bottom-of-drawers scrapping, IMHO (though a fair one) with a couple of new tracks.
    Any of the HOTH leftovers on Graffiti would have been preferable to D'yer Mak'er.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Any of the HOTH leftovers on Graffiti would have been preferable to D'yer Mak'er.
    I'd say that about half the tracks on HotH: Dancing Days, Crunge and Ocean. Of those four, I prefer D'Yer Mak'er

but even then, the leftover , incl the s/t, are not really better either.
    That's why I said they should've stopped with House.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Kansas - Monolith; I know they had some success after this album and that this album isn't even regarded that highly by fans, but it's the last great album of theirs. They were definitely trying modernize their sound with Audio Visions but the wheels were coming off at this point. The two albums with John Elephante sound like a different band and by the time Walsh came back, Livgren was gone and they put out a Night Ranger album. Then by the time Spirit of Things came out Walshes voice was gone and never came back. Monolith was the last album with the classic Kansas sound. My collection stops there.

Agreeing with these choices by others:
    Chicago VII
    Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses

In both cases there are no albums after that I simply HAVE to own but there can be a song or two I like, so I guess that's my criteria.

I want to say Rush - Signals because after that the sound changed into something I didn't care for. However years later I went back and found I liked Power Windows a whole lot despite the over-the-top keys, lots of proggy arrangements on there compared to GUP and most albums that followed. After that there are no Rush albums I HAVE to own but then they came out with Clockwork Angels, which I still like but find it to be more noisy with each subsequent listen...

Helstar - Nosferatu, the last of their 80's albums. They reunited in the early 2000s and have put out a bunch of complex metal albums but unfortunately they are now all about satanic imagery and lyrics, which they never did prior and it's kind of a silly direction for a bunch of guys in their 50's-60's. James Rivera's voice is now "seasoned" in a way which is not agreeable to my ears, and he can't do the air-raid siren screams of his youth anymore...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Johnny Winter "Hey, Where's Your Brother?"

Although his final one is pretty special.
    I thought that I'd heard it wasn't good?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I thought that I'd heard it wasn't good?
    Which one? "Hey, Where's Your Brother?" is really good, and the last one before he disappeared for a few years and came back a shell of himself. There was speculation that he had a stroke or something.

The final one is not great by itself, but deserves to be heard. It's an elder statesman pretty much making his last call.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Phish - A Picture Of Nectar
    Rift is actually really good imo, probably my fav studio album after both Junta and Lawn Boy. After that...suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

Phish - A Picture Of Nectar
    I lost interest in Phish after Hoist.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

My votes: Tull should have stopped with Stormwatch, Yes with Tormato, Genesis with Duke and the Incredible String Band with Be Glad For the Song has No Ending
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Kansas - Monolith; I know they had some success after this album and that this album isn't even regarded that highly by fans, but it's the last great album of theirs. They were definitely trying modernize their sound with Audio Visions but the wheels were coming off at this point. The two albums with John Elephante sound like a different band and by the time Walsh came back, Livgren was gone and they put out a Night Ranger album. Then by the time Spirit of Things came out Walshes voice was gone and never came back. Monolith was the last album with the classic Kansas sound. My collection stops there.
    Have you heard the two Ronnie Platt era albums? I think they are fantastic.

The last two Styx albums are excellent. For me they rank right up with the classic stuff.

"Frampton Comes Alive"

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
    "Alice Cooper" in the sense of "The band known as Alice Cooper," yeah. But Alice has had several excellent albums in his solo career, including (IMO) at least both "Nightmare" albums, Poison, and The Last Temptation -- which Alice will probably have to disown now because of the Neil Gaiman connection...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    "Alice Cooper" in the sense of "The band known as Alice Cooper," yeah. But Alice has had several excellent albums in his solo career, including (IMO) at least both "Nightmare" albums, Poison, and The Last Temptation -- which Alice will probably have to disown now because of the Neil Gaiman connection...
    Agree. "The Last Temptation" is a great one. I also like "Brutal Planet" a lot. His two most recent albums "Detroit Stories" and "Road" are both very good as well. I am seeing him live Friday night here in Kalamazoo.

This is a bit of fun. Father and daughter Dermot and Tara get into it with Genesis - sense of humour required

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    UK - s/t
    I totally don't get the Danger Money hate. It's an excellent album!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Agree, it is different from the first one, but still very good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    [cough, cough] Love Beach[cough, cough]
    If you ask me, they should have stopped after Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Totally agree. On my list of bands who I wish had made more albums, UK would be at or near the top.