Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The Album They Should've Stopped With

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    as much as I like Hittin' The Note, it's the best thing since Eat A Peach, but barely coming to the waist line of the ancestor

To each his own, but was it worth surviving three decades for a correct album to appear after their apex?

It's not a specific remark to ABB, but to every band to "survived" decades beyond their prime (including The Who and Stones).
    As long as a group has an audience willing to pay for their music, why shouldn't they go on making music? It's probably what they like to do most. That doesn't mean one can't critisise their music. I think Eloy went downhill at some point and even though their latest albums seem to have nice return to form, I still think they are not as good as Ocean and Live (which to me are their peak albums).

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    To each his own, but was it worth surviving three decades for a correct album to appear after their apex?

It's not a specific remark to ABB, but to every band to "survived" decades beyond their prime (including The Who and Stones).
    I love "Shades Of Two Worlds", "Seven Turns", "Where It All Begins", "Brothers & Sisters", "Hittin The Note" and think they are all great albums that came after "Peach". The band also put out some not so great stuff, but those albums are all very enjoyable to my ears.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think the Allmans are one of the greatest bands of all time. Steve, I enjoy all you listed too. I saw them 3 nights at the Orplean greater 3 nights near the end of their careers and they were unbelievable 😳. Some of the best live music I ever witnessed.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think the Allmans are one of the greatest bands of all time. Steve, I enjoy all you listed too. I saw them 3 nights at the Orplean greater 3 nights near the end of their careers and they were unbelievable ��. Some of the best live music I ever witnessed.
    And I am super jealous of people like you! Never had the chance to see them.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    And I am super jealous of people like you! Never had the chance to see them.
    I never saw them either. Had tickets once and the show got cancelled. I did get to see Greg Allman Band solo and it was really good. I have seen Gov't Mule with Warren Haynes a few times and they are always great.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think the Allmans are one of the greatest bands of all time. Steve, I enjoy all you listed too. I saw them 3 nights at the Orplean greater 3 nights near the end of their careers and they were unbelievable ��. Some of the best live music I ever witnessed.
    I did not learn to appreciate The Allmans until long after their hey day in the 70's, so maybe that is why I like those albums as much as I do.

Perhaps we need a thread about great swansong albums. "Hittin the Note," "Civilian," "Red" (which was a swansong at the time), etc.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Perhaps we need a thread about great swansong albums. "Hittin the Note," "Civilian," "Red" (which was a swansong at the time), etc.
    Does "LA Woman" count?

Yeah, I think so!

If anyone is gonna make a joke about Led Zeppelin or Bad Company releasing great Swan Song albums, don't. ☺
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Manowar - Louder Than Hell
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Does "LA Woman" count?

They did put out two without Jim though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    They did put out two without Jim though.
    But are they really that good? I mean sometimes I hear a song of one of those albums on the radio and it doesn't sound like The Doors at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    As long as a group has an audience willing to pay for their music, why shouldn't they go on making music? It's probably what they like to do most. That doesn't mean one can't critisise their music. I think Eloy went downhill at some point and even though their latest albums seem to have nice return to form, I still think they are not as good as Ocean and Live (which to me are their peak albums).
    I was answering ABB's Peach ib terms of the spirit of the thread.
    Plenty of bands stopped recording albums and are still giging nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    But are they really that good? I mean sometimes I hear a song of one of those albums on the radio and it doesn't sound like The Doors at all.
    You hear that stuff on the radio?? I mean Dutch radio??

Other Voices is actually an OK album. If Jimbo had sung on it, it wouldn't be worse than Soft Parade or Waiting For The Sun. I suspect some of those tracks existed already back during the Hotel/Café sessions.

As for Full Circle, it's hopelessly bad. I wonder how the record execs let it out. Maybe contractual obligations, if it was still Elektra.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^I'm wondering what it is about Full Circle that you think makes it so much worse than Other Voices?

I'm listening to full circle now on yt. Actually it doesn't sound too bad. The vocals are definitely the weak point.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:58 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Maybe there is a market. After all, there is this.

True dat. But (to the best of my knowledge) none of those has been put on record (of any type) for public consumption.
    Thanks for pointing that out as a long-term Nektar fan I've never seen that one before although I do have a copy of the songbook of Down to Earth and RTF this would be a nice addition thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^I'm wondering what it is about Full Circle that you think makes it so much worse than Other Rooms?

I'm listening to full circle now on yt. Actually it doesn't sound too bad. The vocals are definitely the weak point.
    Other Voices has one (1) great track: “Ships w/Sails.” The rest of the album is mediocre at best. Full Circle is just crap. And they chose the unbelievably stupid “Mosquito” as the single from the album. Total embarrassment. Neither album sounds at all like the Doors.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Other Voices has one (1) great track: “Ships w/Sails.” The rest of the album is mediocre at best. Full Circle is just crap. And they chose the unbelievably stupid “Mosquito” as the single from the album. Total embarrassment. Neither album sounds at all like the Doors.
    Yeah Mosquito doesn't sound like The Doors at all. That's what I ment earlier. On occasions I hear it on the radio, though less often than some other Doors tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out as a long-term Nektar fan I've never seen that one before although I do have a copy of the songbook of Down to Earth and RTF this would be a nice addition thank you
    Hey, I have that one too -- and back in the day I used it to try to play along with RTF.

Badly...

Ok, l've got a good one...how about "Over-Nite Sensation"?
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Ok, l've got a good one...how about "Over-Nite Sensation"?
    The awesome Sleep Dirt came out after it... and to a lesser extent, Studio Tan as well.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.