Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Album They Should've Stopped With

The Album They Should've Stopped With

There are bands that put out an album that I think are so definitive that in an alternate universe it's the one that they should've called it a day with. One example from our universe that did happen is Synchronicity by The Police. It's only my opinion but I think they broke up at the right time because I don't think they could've topped that one.

Others off the top of my head:

Remain in Light - Talking Heads
    Aja - Steely Dan
    The Wall - Pink Floyd

I'm just curious if others have an opinion on this subject and if there are bands/albums that they would add.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Obviously VERY subjective and I'd best get out my flame-retardant undies for these but...

Genesis - We Can't Dance
    3rd and the Mortal - In this Room
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Van Halen - Balance

Although in a few of these cases, rather than "they should've quit after this" I'd probably go with "they should've taken a breather rather than trying to push ahead."
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    There are bands that put out an album that I think are so definitive that in an alternate universe it's the one that they should've called it a day with. One example from our universe that did happen is Synchronicity by The Police. It's only my opinion but I think they broke up at the right time because I don't think they could've topped that one.

Others off the top of my head:

Remain in Light - Talking Heads
    Aja - Steely Dan
    The Wall - Pink Floyd

I'm just curious if others have an opinion on this subject and if there are bands/albums that they would add.
    I would agree with you on "Synchronicity". The perfect end to their career.

I'm a "more is better" guy. Rather than quit on a high point, which strikes me as a 'navel gazing for academics' kind of thing, I'm glad for every good song these bands put out after their high point was past, even if that also means wading through some garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm a "more is better" guy. Rather than quit on a high point, which strikes me as a 'navel gazing for academics' kind of thing, I'm glad for every good song these bands put out after their high point was past, even if that also means wading through some garbage.
    I'm a Yes fan too
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Joking aside, I agree. I don't need or wish that a band had stopped at any given point, and I don't buy into the whole "they tarnished their legacy with this release!" nonsense. My list is indeed mostly a navel-gazing thought experiment into the points where, had these bands stopped at that moment and not continued, I don't think I would feel I missed anything essential or classic.

I'm a navel gazer - my own and everyone else's. Like it was said above, it's a thought experiment and not some definitive statement on a band or music. Although I don't think anything that came after Remain in Light was as good.

Also, it's a whole other discussion about how I think a track list of an album should've been put together.

I think a better title for this thread might have been "If

Chicago -- VII (or arguably XI).

The Who -- either Who Are You or, for the more generous, It's Hard.

Nektar -- I do love Magic Is a Child, but really, nothing after Recycled comes close to the run of albums that ended with it.

Pink Floyd -- I'm going to argue and say Animals. The Wall would have been a great album by someone else, but compared to the three album run beginning wiht DSotM, it's really weak.

Bowie -- Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps). Though that last album might still change my mind.

Gentle Giant -- Interview. (This one is just shooting fish in a barrel...)

The Beatles -- Abbey Road. Oh, wait...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Talking Heads Little Creatures was a great album. Steely Dan Two Against Nature was superb.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Joking aside, I agree. I don't need or wish that a band had stopped at any given point, and I don't buy into the whole "they tarnished their legacy with this release!" nonsense.
    [cough, cough] Love Beach[cough, cough]

I’m not in the camp that a group should stop. The fans and or sales will tell them that. If I don’t like what the band is offering, than I don’t buy it. Of course this is from someone who had some groups on auto buy for decades. But that list was small. Stopped Chicago after VII which is one of my favs. Sporadically got some others over the years but decided the boxes were the way to go. All things Floyd except Syd. All things Genesis although my SH and AP sections need work. PC and Mike + wore out there welcome. TB got to 6 and PG still going strong. I stopped Yes after the wonderful Magnification. Saw no reason to return. I have all things APP and AP until the last album. It doesn’t work for me so no need getting something to take up space.

I’ve jumped off back on the good ship Tangerine Dream several times over the decades.

Basically there is no AutoBuy anymore. Yeah that would have made a much shorter post. I try before I buy.
    Last edited by Tangram; 07-18-2024 at 12:23 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Talking Heads Little Creatures was a great album. Steely Dan Two Against Nature was superb.
    Not to mention Speaking in Tongues, which for me is tied with Remain in Light for first place.

The eons are closing

Using the above - absolutely Asia s/t would have been a contender.

Also - U2 never did better than The Unforgettable Fire.

And perhaps, The Stones Tattoo You would be a contender

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Amon Düül II: I'm going to be generous and say Made in Germany
    Can: Landed. Flowmotion if I'm feeling magnanimous.
    E.L.O.: Time
    E.L.P.: Brain Salad Surgery
    Eloy: Time to Turn
    Genesis: Duke
    Renaissance: Azure d'or
    Todd Rundgren: Nearly Human
    XTC: Apple Venus (Vol. 1)
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

My personal stops / recommended for others stops

ATTWT / Duke
    On The Third Day / Out Of The Blue
    Tarkus / BSS
    Prologue / Novella
    Relayer / Drama
    Hemispheres / Moving Pictures
    Wall / TFC
    Crown Of Creation / Volunteers
    Borboletta / Inner Secrets
    Rocks / Draw The Line / Live Bootleg
    Vices/Habits / Stampede
    Sleep Dirt / Joe's G 3

where they're the same stops
    Interview
    Speaking In Tongues
    Burn
    LLRnR
    Who Are You
    House Of The Holly
    Mob Rules
    Stormwatch
    Sardonicus
    Tangram
    Stunning Cunts
    Broken Barricades (or Edmonton-)
    Brother Where You Bound
    Mysterious Traveller
    Romantic Warrior
    Some Girls
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Live Dates
    Fire Unknown Origin
    swirly Terminations
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Aja - Steely Dan
    I love Gaucho, so.....

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries
    Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.................Ouch.

Ouch.

You couldn't have at least made it to Watershed?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I love Gaucho, so.....

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.................Ouch.

Ouch.

You couldn't have at least made it to Watershed?
    You know I almost did

I'm not trying to troll on that one, and definitely why I said it's just navel-gazing for me. For whatever reason, I've not been able to connect with anything from their prog era *shrug*

In an ideal musical world:

Alan Parsons Project - Turn of a Friendly Card
    Genesis - Wind and Wuthering (maybe change the name of the band or something maybe Duke at the latest)
    Yes - Going for the One (I like later Yes but they stopped being the same band at the end of the 70s)
    Led Zeppelin - PG
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    ELP - BSS (I'm sure few would disagree with this)
    King Crimson - Red (later stuff is not the same band imo)
    The Rolling Stones - Some Girls
    The Who- Who are You (not a who expert but this seems reasonable even though I like some of the later stuff)

Heck most bands should have stopped when punk came along. Lol. Ok, not really but sometimes it seems that way.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 07-19-2024 at 06:32 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Nektar -- I do love Magic Is a Child, but really, nothing after Recycled comes close to the run of albums that ended with it..
    "Evolution" stacks up very well with the classic albums.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    "Evolution" stacks up very well with the classic albums.
    I have the one after it, Book of Days. I played it once and really did not care for it. If Evolution is anything like that one then I would doubt it's as good (or nearly as good) as the earlier stuff. I have autographed copies of Prodigal Son and Man in the Moon (never heard the one with a young Brooke Shields on the cover though) and think those really aren't too bad.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    In an ideal musical world:

Alan Parsons Project - Turn of a Friendly Card
    Genesis - Wind and Wuthering (maybe change the name of the band or something maybe Duke at the latest)
    Yes - Going for the One (I like later Yes but they stopped being the same band at the end of the 70s)
    Led Zeppelin - PG
    Pink Floyd - Animals
    ELP - BSS (I'm sure few would disagree with this)
    King Crimson - Red (later stuff is not the same band imo)
    The Rolling Stones - Some Girls
    The Who- Who are You (not a who expert but this seems reasonable even though I like some of the later stuff)

Heck most bands should have stopped when punk came along. Lol. Ok, not really but sometimes it seems that way.
    I am actually on board with all of these.
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I have the one after it, Book of Days. I played it once and really did not care for it. If Evolution is anything like that one then I would doubt it's as good (or nearly as good) as the earlier stuff.
    If "Evolution" was like "Book of Days" (which is actually a demo), then I would have listed both, now wouldn't I?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Navel Gazing for Academics sounds like a great band name.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I think a better title for this thread might have been "If

The Beatles -- Abbey Road. Oh, wait...