Thread: Weather Systems (Daniel Cavanagh - ex Anathema) - new single & album

Weather Systems (Daniel Cavanagh - ex Anathema) - new single & album

I had pretty much given up on this seeing the light of day. From the ashes of Anathema, Daniel Cavanagh's new project Weather Systems releases their debut album 'Ocean Without a Shore' September 27 on the Mascot Label.

Pre order links:
    https://uk.mascotlabelgroup.com/coll...eather-systems

Bandcamp
    https://weathersystems.bandcamp.com/...ithout-a-shore

Thanks for posting this Steve - checking this out now
    In my local I'm a prog expert, here I'm a nobody......

Sounds like 2001-2019 Anathema to me, as expected. Looking forward to more.

Am I the only one who always preferred Danny's voice to Vinny's?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is he the one who was having personal troubles and had to drop out of the band or something? Just don't know, not trying to stir anything up - good for him!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is he the one who was having personal troubles and had to drop out of the band or something? Just don't know, not trying to stir anything up - good for him!
    Yes, he has struggled with his mental health for years anyway and when lockdown destroyed the band and left them in huge debt, he had to start selling off his instruments to survive. There's a lot more detail and conflict between other band members that we don't need to go into but I feel we are lucky to still have Daniel with us to share his spiritual & moving music. Certainly I am grateful to Anathema for their music that helped me when I lost my Dad some years ago. If anyone hasn't heard Dan's solo album from few years back called Monochrome it's well worth checking out.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That sucks that the band came apart - they were doing great, it seemed. But that was a challenge for most bands.

That sucks that the band came apart - they were doing great, it seemed. But that was a challenge for most bands.
    I don't know, it seems to me that most bands with a similar exposure and fanbase to Anathema survived a cancelled tour because of Covid. It always seemed to me that there was more behind their split than a prematurely stopped tour. Yet, I'm glad I got to see them live for the first (and last?) time one week before lockdown.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I don't know, it seems to me that most bands with a similar exposure and fanbase to Anathema survived a cancelled tour because of Covid. It always seemed to me that there was more behind their split than a prematurely stopped tour. Yet, I'm glad I got to see them live for the first (and last?) time one week before lockdown.
    There does seem to be some major fall outs between the band, not sure what caused that, but when you've just paid deposits or maybe in full for all travel costs and venue hire costs that you are not only not going to get back, but you can't play the gigs which enable you to cover those costs, then it can be disastrous financially. You are unable to earn any money, in debt and still have your rent and basic living costs to pay. I know Nick Barrett of Pendragon said they lost £10k from when their Love Over Fear tour had to be abandoned, he was in a better position to be able to survive it although is only just now recovering from the loss I think. Not just bands but many people were financially destroyed by lockdown.

Pretty good new track

Here's an album review for the new one. It's as close to Anathema's unrecorded/unreleased 2020 album as you'll get, considering Danny wrote most of it before the band officially folded.

I'll also be interviewing Danny next week and will post the interview here afterwards. Should be interesting!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...thout-a-shore/

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Here's an album review for the new one. It's as close to Anathema's unrecorded/unreleased 2020 album as you'll get, considering Danny wrote most of it before the band officially folded.

I'll also be interviewing Danny next week and will post the interview here afterwards. Should be interesting!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/al...thout-a-shore/
    Thanks for the review, I look forward to getting the cd soon hopefully. Well done on getting the interview - look forward to that too.

Sounds a lot like Anathema minus Vinnie and Lee's vocals. Some heavy guitars which is a nice change of pace from the last few Anathema records.

Coincidentally I listened to this one today for the first time. I really enjoyed the Anathema vibe and will be ordering a copy forthwith.

Is Lee Douglas still involved in music at all? I loved her contributions to Anathema.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    Is Lee Douglas still involved in music at all? I loved her contributions to Anathema.
    No I don't think so. I just played this which is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    No I don't think so. I just played this which is awesome!

That's beautiful - equal parts majestic and melancholy. In that sense it's very much got the spirit of Anthema.

I wondered what happened to this band too and while listening to the new Weather Systems album I came across some rather controversial discussions on Reddit about Danny that appear to be confirmed by John Douglas. I can't say if any of it is true or it's just rumour-mongering? Still, sad to read some of this stuff.

Is it weird that reading some of this has kinda put me off listening further? I guess there are multitudes of artists that have questionable behaviour that shouldn't impact your enjoyment of their music.

The title track is pretty good, cant wait to get the cd

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    Is it weird that reading some of this has kinda put me off listening further? I guess there are multitudes of artists that have questionable behaviour that shouldn't impact your enjoyment of their music.
    Maybe the question is, did it go any further?. I would imagine, as serious as it all sounded, nothing as I understand became of it all

A good interview with Danny here. I had a first listen to the album on You Tube this morning and really loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus74 View Post
    I wondered what happened to this band too and while listening to the new Weather Systems album I came across some rather controversial discussions on Reddit about Danny that appear to be confirmed by John Douglas. I can't say if any of it is true or it's just rumour-mongering? Still, sad to read some of this stuff.

I felt the same as you, until I dug deeper and discovered that the whole thing started with Danny having an affair with ex-member Darren White's wife, so Darren went scorched earth and accused Danny of some pretty heinous things. Other people on social media then came out to pile on, recalling past negative experiences with Danny, none of which reached the level of atrocity Darren was describing. My thought is that the band was big enough that if the accusations were true, we'd have heard of police activity, investigations, or charges, especially with the way the English media typically operates.

On top of all this, it seems substance abuse and mental health issues took their toll on Danny and by extension the band. What a mess.

But with how dark a lot of their music is, I'm not surprised.

Again, this is all alleged. None of us really know what happened.

Enjoying the album a lot. Very grand, powerful, harks back to Anathema but carries its own style.