Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Summer Olympics Thread

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Yesterday NBC kept putting on commercials during play of a beach volleyball match. They would dedicate a large portion of the screen for the commercial and a tiny portion of the screen for the game. The sound was always of the commercial, not the game. You couldn't tell what was going on in the game; it was too tiny. I later watched a water polo match and NBC never did the split screen commercial thing once. Do they just hate volleyball and viewers?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Blocking for your team's runner is called "obstruction" and you will get a penalty, in Rugby.

Anyone catch the Australia - Zambia football match, Sunday? Final score: AUS 6 - ZAM 5.

Here are the women's group standings after two games:

Group A

Colombia
    France
    Canada
    New Zealand
    PTS
    W
    D
    GD
    If something seems off – like Canada winning twice and having zero points – it's because of this: Canada Soccer 'spygate' scandal.

Consequently, they were penalized 6 points.

I blame Lino.

Group B

US
    Germany
    Australia
    Zambia
    PTS
    W
    D
    L
    GD
    Group C

Spain
    Japan
    Brazil
    Nigeria
    PTS
    W
    D
    L
    GD
    At this point, it's looking like a US - Spain final. A year ago, I would've picked Spain to win gold. They won the World Cup last year, afterall. Hell, they're been beating everyone the last few years. But since the US has jettisoned a lot of their baggage (i.e. older players and previous coach) and gotten the formidable Emma Hayes as head coach, their front 3 (Smith, Swanson, and Rodman) has been electric at the Olympics, and I give the team a really good chance of bringing home the gold.

Bronze medal match will be played between the other group winner and the best second place finisher. The other group winner will come from Group A (USA and Spain are shoe-ins) and probably be France since they're playing New Zealand next and should win. And because Colombia is playing Canada next and will probably lose. Which will put France at 6 pts and the other two at 3 apiece, with the goal differential advantage going to Canada.

The best 2nd will more than likely be either Germany or Japan (Brazil plays Spain next and will probably lose). Germany plays Zambia next, but that's not a given win for them because Zambia has two of the best forwards in the world. Still, Zambia's defense is often shoddy while Germany's is stingy. Japan plays Nigeria next, which almost certainly means another victory for them. If Germany and Japan both win, then they'll both be sitting on 6 pts and it will come down to GD, with both at 0 right now. Given the two matches, if the GD is still the same (whicy is likely), the advantage will probably go to Germany, who's scored more goals than Japan.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    haven't seen it yet, but I have been watching all the rugby. Will watch on my lunch break today!

I am a relative newbie to Rugby, but I love the game.
    I had never paid a lot of attention to the sport, but watched some of these games. It seemed to me that much of the game is like an NFL kickoff return with no time left on the clock, and the receiving team down by 7 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I had never paid a lot of attention to the sport, but watched some of these games. It seemed to me that much of the game is like an NFL kickoff return with no time left on the clock, and the receiving team down by 7 or less.
    Yeah, I can see that.
    The passing rules, and the Off Sides rules, are crucial to understanding the game, as is an understanding of a Scrum, and a Ruck, and a Maul. And of course in Rugby you can kick the ball down the field at pretty much any time.....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Watching the men's Shot Poot....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching the men's Shot Poot....
    I felt bad for the guy who wiped out on the slick surface, but the U.S. dude is a monster. Possibly the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I felt bad for the guy who wiped out on the slick surface, but the U.S. dude is a monster. Possibly the best ever.
    The big guy with the beer belly. Yeah, a beast.

Did anyone watch the Olympic golf final today? John Rahm completely fell apart and blew the lead. Scottie Scheffler could do nothing wrong and came from behind to win the gold for the U.S.A.. It was pretty epic. He could not hold back tears on the medal stand.

Caught a few minutes of.....Fencing...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Caught a few minutes of.....Fencing...
    As I have mentioned here before, I have been watching "Gold Zone" and it seems like Fencing is on all day, every day. I don't know how many different events they have, but it seems to be on all the time.

Photo finish in the 100 Meter dash. I could not tell who won, but Lyles gets the first gold for the U.S. in 20 years.

^ And he got a bad jump out of the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ And he got a bad jump out of the blocks.
    Yes, I did not think he had a chance at the start.

Anyone watch the women's road race (cycling) today?

I have seen numerous Tours de France and I don't think I've seen anything more amazing than what happened today. In fact, it was the most epic thing I've seen at this Olympics, so far. It was literally un-fucking-believable.

If you have Peacock, watch the replay and fast forward to about an hour left, if you have the ad free tier.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Djokovic vs Alcaraz gold medal tennis match was phenomenal!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

I have seen numerous Tours de France and I don't think I've seen anything more amazing than what happened today. In fact, it was the most epic thing I've seen at this Olympics, so far. It was literally un-fucking-believable.

If you have Peacock, watch the replay and fast forward to about an hour left, if you have the ad free tier.
    I was watching it live and agree. Amazing. There was a lot of great Olympic stuff today.

I know the father of the kid who represented Puerto Rico (his mother is from Puerto Rico) in the decathlon. He was in second place after the first day of competition but wound up 9th overall. Still a great accomplishment.
    His dad played basketball at University of Virginia and is a physician

Ayden Owens-Delerme

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I know the father of the kid who represented Puerto Rico (his mother is from Puerto Rico) in the decathlon. He was in second place after the first day of competition but wound up 9th overall. Still a great accomplishment.
    His dad played basketball at University of Virginia and is a physician

Ayden Owens-Delerme
    There was a kid from my hometown of Kalamazoo in the Decathalon this year too. He ended up 10th, but is really young and planning to be back in 4 years.

Watching Kayak Cross this morning. Pretty crazy sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

I haven't watched a lot, but for me the final lap of Femke Bol in the final mixed estafette was amazing:

In 1988 Carl Lewis ran a 9.92 100 meter and won gold. In 2024 the runner from Jamaica ran a 9.91 and finished last.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I haven't watched a lot, but for me the final lap of Femke Bol in the final mixed estafette was amazing:
    That was amazing, especially how easily she closed on Kaylyn Brown.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Glad the pool is closed. I know USA won a fair number of medals, but aside from Ledecky feels like quite the letdown by USA swimming, culminating in the men losing a race they've never lost in olympic history
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Oh good. I didn't get a chance to watch yesterday, but the first day they seemed to have the 'base' events be soccer or basketball and mostly switched briefly to other things or when there were medals on the line somewhere, at least for like the two to three hours i was watching it. I will try and put it on today as I do like the concept.
    And some more thoughts on the goldzone concept...

I think I found my main issue. Unlike the red zone, which gives me looks into all the games that I don't have access to, the gold zone gives me looks into all the games I do have access to as full streams elsewhere on the peacock app, without the ability to control what I'm watching. So If I'm interested in some event, it would just make more sense for me to watch it live by itself than constantly be interrupted by basketball or rowing or whatever else. Also, there are commercials which the lack of is a huge plus with the redzone.

That said, one thing where I do think its good is the track and field events. When 7 different things are happening simultaneously, it is nice to get them all on one screen and have them focus in as something occurs in one event in the whiparound fashion.

Overall though, I do hope they continue to do this for future olympics.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.