Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collecting Every Format Of An Album?

I know it’s not what you are referring to but I do have multiple duplicates / triplicates etc… where I had the vinyl, upgraded to CD and then had to buy the remasters, the surround sound discs (Yes Panegyric and XTC’… still unplayed as I haven’t ever got a surround sound system) etc… Yes I have a small OCD issue.

I’ve taken to filling in a few gaps in my original vinyl collection, even if I have a CD of the release. I just really love the 12” format, and recently tidied up my whole collection and thought I needed to back fill a few glaring omissions.

I’m not completely compulsive and would never go out and buy different variants of the same new release, but sometime I have ended up with both vinyl and CD, although not bought at the same time.

While sorting out my records I did find I had 5 different releases of In The Land Of Grey And Pink (vinyl) and of course a couple of CD copies. It’s a masterpiece and I make no apology!

There have been certain albums when I have bought the cd, the vinyl and the blu ray like Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning - I just couldn't get enough of it, same with The Raven and HCE. I do have multiple copies of various Yes albums too, different remastered versions, original vinyls and SW remixes on vinyl, cd & blu ray. I think I have 5 or 6 versions of Close To The Edge, Relayer and Tales. I have never gone in for collecting for it's own sake though..

I read an article about some metal musician, can't remember who, who collects vinyl variations of the 1st Black Sabbath album. I think he had something like 200.

Personally l think the only time l did this was by accident, l have Nektar's Remember The Future on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, and CD (and on my Spotify list, which l suppose counts these days).
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Every format? Do they still sell 8-tracks?
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    I read an article about some metal musician, can't remember who, who collects vinyl variations of the 1st Black Sabbath album. I think he had something like 200.

Personally l think the only time l did this was by accident, l have Nektar's Remember The Future on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, and CD (and on my Spotify list, which l suppose counts these days).
    There are two very distinct versions of Sabbath s/t: one with the song N.I.B., the other with Evil Woman in its place. The differences between other versions are less substantive.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post

I have 2 vinyl-versions of Music inspired by Watership Down by Bo Hansson, which was also released as El-ahrairah, with different covers, different song titles and even a different amount of tracks.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I know it’s not what you are referring to but I do have multiple duplicates / triplicates etc… where I had the vinyl, upgraded to CD and then had to buy the remasters, the surround sound discs (Yes Panegyric and XTC’… still unplayed as I haven’t ever got a surround sound system) etc… Yes I have a small OCD issue.

I’ve taken to filling in a few gaps in my original vinyl collection, even if I have a CD of the release. I just really love the 12” format, and recently tidied up my whole collection and thought I needed to back fill a few glaring omissions.

I’m not completely compulsive and would never go out and buy different variants of the same new release, but sometime I have ended up with both vinyl and CD, although not bought at the same time.

While sorting out my records I did find I had 5 different releases of In The Land Of Grey And Pink (vinyl) and of course a couple of CD copies. It’s a masterpiece and I make no apology!
    Land of Grey and Pink is one I have a few different CD's of - also Camel's Snow Goose. I definitely have multiple copies of many CDs, from upgrades.

I have a few weak spots, owning more than one format of an album.
    But in a lot of cases, I got rid of the first gen CD (like Yes, Caravan, Tull, etc...)

I own every Genesis from Tresspass to Seconds Out a few times: the vinyls, first gen CD (the picture discs, that I kept because some parts gave never been bettered), the Mini-Lp and the boxsets DVD-A 5.1.

I'm a bit of a sucker for 70's Crimson as well: Owning the vinyls, but I got rid of the first gen CD quite a while ago, but bought the 30th Anniv mini-lp and some 40th Anniv small boxsets. No ext/pensive boxset bought (except for the medium-sized Great Deceiver). The one exception is Eartbound - only the 40th anniv)

70's Caravan: despite getting rid of the first gen CD a long time ago, I'm probably going to get rid of the jewel-case remasters, since I own the small Deram boxset and still maybe contemplating buying the huge boxset. Of course I still got my vinyls.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Here is the article about that 1st album Sabbath collector, a guy in the band Candlemass.

https://www.loudersound.com/features...nyl-collection
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?