OK Boomer.

You never listened to the radio, or to an album while doing your homework?

And well, now there are other things people can do for their entertainment, like videogames (which I think all have music).
Renate, I am not sure if you were rebuking me, but I will admit your opening comment caught me off guard. I am trying to make the point that for a lot of people- my kids, for example- music goes on while they do homework with their kids, or prepare dinner, or do whatever it is they need done in a family- and that is all it is. So long as they have the music, what the music is is a secondary consideration. And y'know what? That's how they consume it. Spotify. They do not purchase music by individual artists, ever. And frankly, I listen to music from the time I get up to the time I go to bed, whether I am working or- as the case is now, since I retired 2 weeks ago- or not working. It is always there, curated by me depending on what I am in the mood for. Which I suppose is not really the point of Beato's mini-tirade. It is about solo artists v. bands, and bands are losing, for sure.

Of course, people have more choices now. My grandkids watch video clips. My kids (who are 44- twins- and 39) listen while taking care of the family. But they do not follow music as I did when I was younger, when we followed the release of LPs like hawks, recorded them off the radio, etc. There isn't an artist who they would care released a new record or whatever we call it these days. Only my hipster 39yo has albums, which he plays on his fancy stereo with blue tooth.