Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robert Fripp on Strictly Come Dancing - I've got a bad feeling about this....

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I never heard any such thing. Where did you read this?

Probably on PE (It was discussed here, I'm pretty sure).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The eons are closing
    Neither had I.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Probably on PE (It was discussed here, I'm pretty sure).
    Okay, I found it. It was Toyah telling the story:

She comes up with it all, giggling to herself late at night in bed. “I do the lighting, the filming, the conceptual side and the persuading Robert to take part,” she says. Getting Fripp – famously self-contained and serious – to dance in tights and a tutu, she says, made him “fucking furious. He felt he was being mocked. But the response was so overwhelmingly positive, and now, six months down the line, he can see that it was quite an important thing to do, in that it became a shared experience with an audience that needed to be reminded of the beauty of human laughter.” Since then, she adds: “I’ve not put him in such desperate situations.”

I'm going to take that "fucking furious" with a grain of salt.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Its been mentioned in several interviews, but here's probably where I first read it, the Guardian from early 2021:

"Of all the celebrity offerings that have come out of the pandemic, the gloriously weird videos made by Toyah Willcox and her husband, Robert Fripp, are surely the most compelling. It is possible, within each short clip, to cycle through every feeling from wanting to cover your eyes while being unable to look away, to the dawning realisation you may be watching a profound piece of performance art. Mostly, it is impossible not to laugh. There they are in their cosy Worcestershire kitchen, perhaps with the dishwasher open in the background, with Willcox, accessorised with mouse ears, tap-dancing, bouncing off the Aga. Both dressed in black tutus at the end of their garden, the pair dance across the screen to music from Swan Lake. Fripp lies on the floor of the hallway, while Willcox – dressed in red PVC and devil horns – performs the Kinks’ You Really Got Me on the stairs. It’s joyous.

Willcox has been uploading their Sunday Lockdown Lunch videos since April last year; they also do a weekly agony aunt session, and Willcox does her own Q&A, talking about her life and long career as an actor, pop star and general cultural fixture for the past 40 years. It started, she says, as a way to occupy Fripp, the musician and founder of the prog rock band King Crimson. “Here I am in this house with this 74-year-old husband who I really don’t want to live without,” she says. “He was withdrawing, so I thought: ‘I’m going to teach him to dance.’ And it became a challenge.” They posted a video, and it took off. “It was: ‘Wow, I’ve never experienced the power of that connection.’”

She comes up with it all, giggling to herself late at night in bed. “I do the lighting, the filming, the conceptual side and the persuading Robert to take part,” she says. Getting Fripp – famously self-contained and serious – to dance in tights and a tutu, she says, made him “fucking furious. He felt he was being mocked. But the response was so overwhelmingly positive, and now, six months down the line, he can see that it was quite an important thing to do, in that it became a shared experience with an audience that needed to be reminded of the beauty of human laughter.” Since then, she adds: “I’ve not put him in such desperate situations.”

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Good for him, he`s having fun.

Neil
    Just saw this thread and agree with you completely. I cannot figure out why their videos (and eventually performances at festivals) cause such distress for some folks. I've enjoyed seeing him happy with his post KC life - even if I don't have to watch every video they put out. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Just saw this thread and agree with you completely. I cannot figure out why their videos (and eventually performances at festivals) cause such distress for some folks. I've enjoyed seeing him happy with his post KC life - even if I don't have to watch every video they put out. lol
    This. He's been overly serious his whole career. Why not let him have some fun and smiles in his semi-retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    This. He's been overly serious his whole career. Why not let him have some fun and smiles in his semi-retirement?
    That. I totally agree; Robert's having his fun with his Wife (and what he does will have No Bearing on my Enjoying his work as a Musician).

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I agree. I don't understand why some people take these things so seriously. I'm not particularly interested in Fripp and Toyah's covers, dances and other shenanigans, but on the other hand they don't annoy me in any way either.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I agree. I don't understand why some people take these things so seriously. I'm not particularly interested in Fripp and Toyah's covers, dances and other shenanigans, but on the other hand they don't annoy me in any way either.

I thought it was rather fun to watch during the lockdown, and there wasn't that much else to do back then (except prancing in a tutu in my own garden ). As I said, I thought that the nude fondling of a Gibson (not Mel) was near hilarious as well.
    I was rather surprised at first, and did wonder (raise an eyebrow) about that bumblebee in tutu (it was sooo un-Fripp), but it didn't go beyond that. And TBH, that gameshow appearance is again Toyah's doing as she's got a TV career and must keep in the public's eye.
    They could both retire without a single financial problem, but if they go on, it's obviously for other reasons.

I never cared much for Frippy as a person (whom I always thought a bit as a twit) and his wife (who has a twat - noticed I didn't say "cunt", for that is a "Robert word" to describe people he dislike, and I doubt he dislikes her), but so be it.
    Last edited by Trane; 1 Week Ago at 07:34 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Why do think he might be joining in the dancing? Has that actually ever happened on Strictly? The one thing I might see feasible is if Toyah is going to do a routine on David Bowie's Heroes and he sits in with the band playing guitar for it. And to be honest, I would love to see that.
    Of course it hasn't happened, he's just in the audience supporting his wife. And sorry to disappoint you but there's no way he'd join in with the band either.

As for the original poster describing the show as "god awful"....I disagree. Where else do you hear a stellar band of musicians playing live on live television? Sometimes the vocals can be a bit ropey, but that's understandable. After all they are having to play an amazing variety of songs from every genre you can imagine, and 90% of the time they nail it.

Obviously it's not the OP's cup of tea, but in these times of live terrestrial TV and the budget constraints the BBC has been put under for over a decade of Tory rule, the production values are way up there.

Yours, a Strictly super fan....