Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Andy edwards on 10 artists that ruined music

Andy edwards on 10 artists that ruined music

I am not sure I agree with all of Andy's comments, but this is actually very incisive and comprehensive and Andy does a very good job defending his choices. Worth a full watch, no kidding.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Alternate title: Opinions that ruined peoples love of music.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Alternate title: Opinions that ruined peoples love of music.

Personally, after watching a couple of AE's videos I decided I'd had enough. I find him annoying. YMMV.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

Personally, after watching a couple of AE's videos I decided I'd had enough. I find him annoying. YMMV.
    I like Andy Edward's channel quite a bit. If you really want to be annoyed, try Darren Lock's channel. Here's a little taster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyN6...%27sDarrenLock

If the video were at least 35 minutes shorter, I might be able to get through it. Some guy talking on and on, in front of a camera, in a fairly monotone voice yet, gets old pretty fast. Just because I`m at work and things are a little bit slow, I decided to see how long he could chat, before he actually mentioned band number 2 out of 10. 11 and a half LOOOONNNGGGG minutes into a 50 minute long video. Good grief.

Neil
    "Just know that even if we listen to the same bands, I listen to them BETTER than you" - Gene Meyer

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    If the video were at least 35 minutes shorter, I might be able to get through it.
    Watching at 1.5x speed helps. Not enough (I didn't make it through the whole thing), but it helps.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I like Andy Edward's channel quite a bit. If you really want to be annoyed, try Darren Lock's channel. Here's a little taster [emoji38]
    I made it almost 7 minutes.... The most used word of the first seven minutes was "imploded"

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I didnt like him much at first but once I saw he's a big Cardiacs fan I had to give him another shot... he's ok. I don't agree with him a lot but I stopped grumbling about him as much as I used to.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

I have zero interest in watching Youtube videos of peoples' opinions about music.

I'll tolerate them in text form, preferably kept to 2-3 paragraphs at a time .

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    I have zero interest in watching Youtube videos of peoples' opinions about music.

+1
    And will l wait forever beside the silent mirror and fish for bitter minnows amongst the weeds and slimy water?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't know who Andy Edwards is but I brought up the video on mute while I was listening to something else and I fast-forwarded just to see the photos.

Ten artists I've never paid much attention to. I kinda liked that Monkee song What Am I Doing Hanging Round.

#1 is that former actor who cut funding for music education.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I think he's trying to be a Rick Beato type personality. I've watched a few of his vidoes, but most are way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    If you really want to be annoyed, try Darren Lock's channel.
    I've seen a bunch of Lock's "prog reviews". All I gotta say is: that guy is frickin annoying! I can't stand his rambling. His videos used to be way more interesting circa 2013-2014. But at some point he gradually started getting more and more stale. Plus, Lock has a tendency to be extremely biased against non-British prog rock or contemporary made retro prog for apparently no reason other than some ego driven purism.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Y'know, guys, the point of me posting this was to actually generate a discussion around what he said, not who he is or what he does... just saying.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I am mostly a fan of Andy and have watched a lot of his videos, with this one he makes a lot of really good points.
    Last edited by Steve983; 1 Week Ago at 03:09 AM.

^^^ Yeah, I mostly agree with what he was saying in this. I found insightful his main thesis that very good bands may be the ones that cause more trouble than benefits for the development of music. But he really does take way too long to make these points. With a little rehearsal and editing he could get this all down to 15 minutes without too much trouble. And I bet his view count would go up tenfold.

I get where he's going with this by giving The Monkees as an example and proceeds to move on with Madonna, Nirvana and others ...however it's difficult to pin the blame on any particular band when there's always been music that was contrived or forced to sound a certain way for profit gain.

It's unlikely that he would understand somebody else's opinion regarding this subject matter. To an extent it should be acknowledged that music is subjective.

A huge letdown for me in Rock Music was playing Led Zeppelin. Maybe he wouldn't get that because they are considered to be iconic. As you say...

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

same here. he tends to blather on and on before he gets to the point. he also has some pretty odd things to say that go against popular opinion. like GFTO is better and more proggy than CttE. Awaken and maybe Turn of the Century are imo the only real proggy tunes on there. the rest is just basic rock.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't know who Andy Edwards is but I brought up the video on mute while I was listening to something else and I fast-forwarded just to see the photos.

Ten artists I've never paid much attention to. I kinda liked that Monkee song What Am I Doing Hanging Round.
    he played with IQ for about 4 yrs and played on the Frequency album.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

TL;DW

The man has a notable tendency to blather on. When he’s talking about music he likes the enthusiasm and insight can carry you through, but I’ve no interest in listening to interminable moaning on about why everything is awful.

By contrast, Darren Lock is just an idiot.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    he played with IQ for about 4 yrs and played on the Frequency album.
    Frost & Robert Plant..

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I think he's trying to be a Rick Beato type personality. I've watched a few of his vidoes, but most are way too long.
    He’s a leecher. YT is crawling with them. They react or respond to original content that is popular (often controversial or political) in hopes that they can leech off of the popular creator’s audience or otherwise well established brand.

The worst thing about it is that it works. If the person doing it is persistent enough, they can make decent amount of ad revenue.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post

+1

They may be longer in text form.
    I'm not really interested in hearing someone rant for a long time, about how some artists seem to have ruined something. In the end one person's trash is another person's treasure. Who his he to judge?

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    same here. he tends to blather on and on before he gets to the point. he also has some pretty odd things to say that go against popular opinion. like GFTO is better and more proggy than CttE. Awaken and maybe Turn of the Century are imo the only real proggy tunes on there. the rest is just basic rock.
    Well people have different opinions, I would rate GFTO higher than CTTE too, Parallels and GFTO are hardly 'basic rock' to my ears - more like full on soaring prog