Thread: Grateful Dead - Duke '78 (new release from the Spring 1978 tour)

Grateful Dead - Duke '78 (new release from the Spring 1978 tour)

For those of you enjoy the Dead's live shows, you might be interested to try out this new release, taken from a box set of shows from the Spring 1978 tour.

I was pleasantly surprised by how good this show was, in performance terms, and the audio recording is excellent.

Here are a few notes on this release, which I've just published on my blog, which may be of interest:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....ril-1978-2024/

I bought the huge box. Looking fwd to jumping in.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I got the box too! So far it's great. I listened to the first three disks so far. Performances and audio are excellent, and Donna's singing hasn't offended me yet! And physically the box is very nice - nice that they kept it somewhat small (the box itself, that is).

I miss being able to touch base with John Kelman, who always got the big Dead box sets too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ I got the box too! So far it's great. I listened to the first three disks so far. Performances and audio are excellent, and Donna's singing hasn't offended me yet! And physically the box is very nice - nice that they kept it somewhat small (the box itself, that is).
    Donna is the only thing that gave me pause before I pulled the trigger on this one. The box itself is very cool, with the lid/drawer design. Not sure I really needed the tambourine, though.

Tambourine? It's a rain-drum or something! I could do without it too, though. It's a bit silly to make the box bigger to hold that, but it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's a bit silly to make the box bigger to hold that, but it could be worse.
    Just be glad they didn’t follow the example of the Zappa estate and include a Jerry Garcia Halloween costume.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Just be glad they didn’t follow the example of the Zappa estate and include a Jerry Garcia Halloween costume.
    It's funny how with the Zappa sets, the big boxes with masks and stuff are a deal breaker for me, but the big boxes for the Dead sets aren't! I guess it's partly because the Dead boxes are nice-looking pieces of art in addition to being receptacles. It also probably has to do with Ahmet.