Thread: Saw Cowboy Junkies Last Night - Review (spoilers)

Saw Cowboy Junkies Last Night - Review (spoilers)

Here is a quick review of the Cowboy Junkies concert I saw at The Kalamazoo State Theater last night for anyone interested.

It is pretty rare these days for a band that has been around for almost 40 years to still have all of it’s original members, but The Cowboy Junkies are one such band. The core foursome of Margo, Michael, and Peter Timmons along with Alan Anton were there at the beginning. Long time touring multi-instrumentalist Jeff Bird has also been a touring member of the band for all that time as well. It is hard to describe exactly what the Cowboy Junkies do. There are elements of Americana, Alt. Country, Blues, Rock, and Art Rock to their music. Some of the instrumental passages come remarkably close to Post Rock territory as well. Most of their material is dark and brooding and they really sound like no one else. They are all outstanding musicians, although there is nothing too flashy in their playing. When they do solo, everything is precise and on the mark. Margo has let her hair go fully gray these days, but she has lost nothing in her vocal range. Margo is the same age as me (63) and her voice sounds just like it did when she was her 20’s.

Last night’s show had no opening act. Instead, the Junkies performed a 2-set show with intermission. The first set concentrated on their excellent new album “Such Fierce Beauty.” Margo explained that most of the songs on the album were written about the death of her father who had Alzheimer’s among other health problems. It gave the songs even more meaning to know the background behind them. The Cowboy Junkies have always performed cover tunes and the first set ended with a stunning rendition of David Bowie’s “Five Years.”

After intermission, the band came back on for a 2nd set of older tunes. They played their most popular stuff, but also delved into deep album cuts which I really enjoyed. Songs like “Town’s Blues,” “Horse In The Country,” “Murder In The Trailer Park”, “Black Eyed Man” and a dark and sinister cover of Bruce Springsteen’s “State Trooper” were highlights.

The only negative was they did have a sound issue during one of the songs in the 2nd set and had to start over again, but the band managed it like the pros that they are. The Cowboy Junkies remain one of the best bands to ever come out of Canada and have lost nothing over the years. If you are at all into them and this tour is coming to your town it is well worth catching.

Here is the set list:

SET 1:

KNIVES
    SWEET JANE
    WHAT I LOST
    EASY TO BUILD, EASY TO BREAK
    CIRCE AND PENNELOPE
    HELL IS REAL
    FIVE YEARS

INTERMISSION

SET II:

MURDER IN THE TRAILER PARK
    CAUSE CHEAP IS HOW I FEEL
    TOWNE’S BLUES
    WORKING ON A BUILDING
    BLACK EYED MAN
    HORSE IN THE COUNTRY
    FAIRYTALE
    HE WILL CALL YOU BABY
    STATETROUPER
    A COMMEN DISASTER

ENCORE

BLUE MOON REVISITED (A SONG FOR ELVIS)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Nice review Steve!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Nice review Steve!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Interesting that they didn't play a couple of their bigger hits stateside, Come Calling and Anniversary Song.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Interesting that they didn't play a couple of their bigger hits stateside, Come Calling and Anniversary Song.
    I thought the same thing, although I was happy with the set list overall.

This is one of those bands I've always been meaning to check out but never got around to. I remember their song "common disaster" from the 90s but that's about it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Good review, Steve. You're fortunate to have seen the Cowboy Junkies. I've been a fan forever but haven't got to see them yet.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    This is one of those bands I've always been meaning to check out but never got around to. I remember their song "common disaster" from the 90s but that's about it.
    "Common Disaster" is pretty representative of their stuff, although live they stretch things out quite a bit instrumentally.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Good review, Steve. You're fortunate to have seen the Cowboy Junkies. I've been a fan forever but haven't got to see them yet.
    I had not seen them since 2001. I live close enough to Canada that they used to come through my area on most tours, but this was my first chance to see them in a long time. I don't think they tour that much in the U.S. anymore and usually concentrate on their home country, so it was a treat to have them playing 10 minutes from my house. I went to the show by myself. My wife was out of town and I could not find anyone else who was interested. The crowd was pretty small. It was a 1500 seat theater that was maybe half full. I hope it was enough to have them back again.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Common Disaster" is pretty representative of their stuff, although live they stretch things out quite a bit instrumentally.
    You mean they jam out a bit? I like it when non prog bands do that. You expect that from prog bands (and obviously jam bands) but not so much "normal" bands.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    You mean they jam out a bit? I like it when non prog bands do that. You expect that from prog bands (and obviously jam bands) but not so much "normal" bands.
    Yes