Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1990s Britpop - An American Who Doesn't Get The Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Seriously? Lol. Ok, but why would they mention these bands in a brit pop thread if they didn't think they were brit pop? Obviously they were thinking of them in regards to brit pop. It's all about context. That's like saying I love prog. Then saying right after that Yes is one of my favorite bands. No, I didn't tag them specifically but it's very easy to put two and two together. In the case of the second one the poster mentions Radiohead right in between other Brit Pop bands.
    I think I was trying to highlight the chronological aspect of the genres mentioned and how there was a lot of overlap. If I were to pinpoint the main defining points of " britpop" I would probably refer to the somewhat sanitized and commercial nature of the product. They did sell an awful lot . I already stated on post#16 that I didn't consider Radiohead to be anywhere near " britpop"

Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    I think I was trying to highlight the chronological aspect of the genres mentioned and how there was a lot of overlap. If I were to pinpoint the main defining points of " britpop" I would probably refer to the somewhat sanitized and commercial nature of the product. They did sell an awful lot . I already stated on post#16 that I didn't consider Radiohead to be anywhere near " britpop"
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 4 Hours Ago at 02:11 PM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    There are most likely tunes you heard by them back then if you listened to the radio, like Live Forever, Wonderwall, or Champagne Supernova. At least that was the case in the Atlanta area and the station 99X, with the influential radio programmer Leslie Fram. Adds from her used to influence the playlists around the country. That station played WWall and Champagne to fuckin death back then, so maybe l heard Oasis on the radio a lot more than some people. If l
    recall she was one of the first programmers to put Karma Police in rotation, and incredibly they played Paranoid Android for a little while when OK C was blowing up.
    Yes, I guess your right, They were everywhere in the 90s.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

From the early 60s to the mid-80s, the United Kingdom were at the forefront of popular music tastemaking. In those times, the British pop charts were consistently more interesting than the American charts.

That changed in the 90s. The British press championing mediocrities like Oasis and Blur was them pretending that British pop music still mattered. The only British export to have any kind of impact post-New Wave, pre-Radiohead was the Spice Girls, and I think that tells you all you need to know.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...