Page 86 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3676828384858687888990 LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2249

Thread: King Crimson News

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Just listening for the first time to the 2021(?) reissue of Earthbound. The sound is better than I remember the vinyl being. That was like a really poor '70s bootleg. This is like a pretty good '70s bootleg.
    This got me thinking: Have I ever listened to Earthbound? I never owned it until the Sailors box. I've got it queued up on my phone for tomorrow.

Then another thought: Have I ever listened to USA? I don't have it in my music files. Sure enough, the Road to Red box has it but only on DVD/Blu-Ray. That should be easy enough to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    The most revealing detail in this documentary is Ian McDonald's hunted look.
    Does McDonald know he was ill when the documentary was made? I suppose that's a rather ghastly question, but I seem to remember reading that he did know.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I'm just a regular viewer, but the implication that MG was the cunt-in-chief according to Fripp seemed pretty damn clear to me. I don't really know what else one could take from the edit.

Alternatively: in the Court of the Crimson Cunt, everyone is a cunt, and it takes one to know one.
    This is ridiculous. It seemed totally obvious to me that Jakko was cut off just before he was about to say "Robert Fripp".

As for who's a cunt and who isn't: you have to refer to Jakko's story (which was also raised in his interview with Anil Dash), that he first heard from Fripp when he was rehearsing with the 21st Century Schizoid Band. Fripp asked how it was going, Jakko said "this is one of the worst experiences of my life" and Fripp was all like "LOL that doesn't surprise me". I.e. Jakko and Fripp were commiserating about what it was like working with Ian McDonald and the Giles brothers (probably Mel Collins was okay).

When Fripp has been talking about the chief features of former KC members I think you can recognize: "It's all about me" (Sinfield); "I'm the centre of attention" (Lake, maybe also Belew?); "I want another go" (Bruford); "I can't commit" (M. Giles); "I can't decide" (McDonald). But also Fripp will freely admit that he was a cunt himself to Mel Collins back in the 70s, for which he has apologised and Mel has accepted

But given all of that: isn't it symptomatic that everyone is talking about what Fripp thinks about people or what people think about Fripp? By far the meanest thing that is said in the documentary is Sinfield about Lake: "Paranoid, power-hungry and narcissistic".
    You have not heard anything like Vostok Lake, nor do you know anyone who has.

Does anyone remember (monsieur Aymeric probably, at least) the King Crimson member/alumni interviews that one Bill Murphy had conducted during the 1990s?
    He got hold of almost all of them (even including the likes of Andrew McCulloch, I believe, but a lot of them got postponed and stayed unpublished due to lack of time to transcribe them, at least that was the explanation given at the time)
    They existed for some time one the Projekction.net site, but even in the Internet Archive that particular forum section was blocked from archiving, so they have vanished, unfortunately.
    I was sure I had saved some of them, but can't find them anymore

I just recently found out in a cursory mention that Projekction belonged to Darren Lock, who had this big and ugly fallout with DGM over his YT reviews (at least that was the basic sense I could make from some remaining mentions on the net), so maybe that's the reason for this particular case of damnatio memorić?

I remember them being very candid at times, revealing a lot of the conflicts that had stayed over from the 70s and 80s.
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

I have the Bill Murphy interviews somewhere I’m sure but on my home computer and I am travelling.

Vostoklake: Yes, it’s very possible Jakko said Fripp had said he (Fripp) was the cunt, but (1) the editing clearly wants to make you think it’s Giles, and (2) Fripp said this to Jakko as he was forming a band with Giles and McDonald, not Fripp or Lake. And McDonald (and Fripp) appeared on Jakko’s 2006 solo album, so no bad blood there it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by vostoklake View Post
    This is ridiculous. It seemed totally obvious to me that Jakko was cut off just before he was about to say "Robert Fripp".
    But that doesn't make sense given that Fripp was explaining his lack of surprise that Jakko was having a miserable time in the Schizoid Band. Anyone being a cunt who wasn't in the Schizoid Band would be irrelevant to that. You refer to that in your next paragraph, but that is specifically the context of "..and chief among those cunts was-" / cut to footage of Michael Giles.

Personally I don't really care who thought who else was a cunt in the original version of KC, or any version for that matter. The reason the moment stuck in my mind was it seemed such an odd thing for Toby Amies to have done. Though I guess it is contributing to people talking about his film, so maybe not!
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 03-07-2024 at 05:19 AM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I have the Bill Murphy interviews somewhere I’m sure but on my home computer and I am travelling.
    ‚Amazingness’ – and safe travels!

PS.: I just re-read the Modern Drummer story of Pat Mastelotto going to the Sylvian/Fripp auditions, where Mike Giles also reemerged after x years, apparently coming with his whole drum set already assembled and crammed into a small car (now this doesn't say anything about any personal cunt-enance, but displays a certain impractical eccentricity and detached-ness at least)
    τί ἐστιν ὃ μίαν ἔχον φωνὴν τετράπουν καὶ δίπουν καὶ τρίπουν γίνεται;

εἰσί κασίγνηται δισσαὶ, ὠν ἡ μία τίκτει
    τὴν ἑτέραν αὐτὴ δέ τεκοῦσ` ὑπό τὴσδη τεκνούται
    τίς δὲ κασίγνηται δύο;

New Fripp content has just been posted to the official Bill Bruford channel:

This interview was originally shot for the instructional video Bruford And The Beat but only a few quotes are included there. Here for the first time is the full interview!

Fingers crossed they see fit to upload the unedited live take of "Discipline" which was also excerpted in B&TB.

I gess Bill si still "curating his legacy"

============

yesterday in Belleville, there was two thoughts about Frippy:

one
    the scene becoming extinct (or ceased to exist)

rwo
    we were encouraged to take as many pictures or film as much as we liked and share them
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by vostoklake View Post
    But given all of that: isn't it symptomatic that everyone is talking about what Fripp thinks about people or what people think about Fripp? By far the meanest thing that is said in the documentary is Sinfield about Lake: "Paranoid, power-hungry and narcissistic".
    Aren't some or all of those qualities prerequisites for a rock musician?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

Aren't some or all of those qualities prerequisites for a rock musician?
    The third one, at least, is a prerequisite for a successful music composer.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    The third one, at least, is a prerequisite for a successful music composer.
    You need to have a certain degree of self-belief to consider that your creative efforts deserve an audience, but maybe not to be a full-blown narcissist? Though I will admit there is no shortage of examples of those who are / were.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    You need to have a certain degree of self-belief to consider that your creative efforts deserve an audience
    Yes, exactly what I have thought.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't know about anybody else, but when I see these Fripp essays with the center-justified titles and subtitles and letters to identify the sections, my eyes roll back in my head.
    And you call yourself a Prog fan?

A superstar but he didn't get far.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    So I finally acquired the big 50th Court boxset, and looking over the CD cases, I see a mention of two forthcoming albums...a "Starless The Final Concert" and "KC 50 Series 6CD set". Has there been any news about those two? I don't recall seeing anything at DGM, although I don't look there daily.

Also, wasn't there a Live In Rome set that was teased before the pandemic? Is that permanently shelved or just a fever dream remembrance?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    So I finally acquired the big 50th Court boxset, and looking over the CD cases, I see a mention of two forthcoming albums...a "Starless The Final Concert" and "KC 50 Series 6CD set". Has there been any news about those two? I don't recall seeing anything at DGM, although I don't look there daily.

Also, wasn't there a Live In Rome set that was teased before the pandemic? Is that permanently shelved or just a fever dream remembrance?
    Those albums you mentioned are probably on the way. I picked up the Multi-Disc Deluxe Edition of the In The Court of The Crimson King film and there's mention of a forthcoming Complete Recordings Set for In The Wake of Poseidon in the notes for the collection. I'm sure that these projects will come around and someone will share the news on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

The kc 50 series sets were released to VIP concert goers they compiled the free downloads they were doing sadly without the singleton commentaries.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2040...s-Tracks-27-50

Imagine they may do an unlimited version at some point though with physical media continuing to decline might not be a priority given many hardcore fans who could be counted on to buy them already have em.

There have been a couple of Crimson albums that were announced and never materialized. I believe “USA II” eventually became the Meltdown set (same tour, if I’m recalling). But the very intriguing 37 Forms announced in the 2017 tour box has, quite obviously, never been heard.

Anybody else have a gut feeling we’ll get some kind of 2014-2021 big box eventually? Logic demands as much, right?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Thanks for the all the responses. I can live without that KC 50 one.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    There have been a couple of Crimson albums that were announced and never materialized. I believe “USA II” eventually became the Meltdown set (same tour, if I’m recalling). But the very intriguing 37 Forms announced in the 2017 tour box has, quite obviously, never been heard.

Anybody else have a gut feeling we’ll get some kind of 2014-2021 big box eventually? Logic demands as much, right?
    Never heard of 37 Forms. What was the tease?

And yes. That could always happen. They've done that for seemingly ever linup. Hopefully we won't have to wait 50 years though.
    Last edited by Hobo Chang Ba; 03-29-2024 at 06:45 PM.

Also, having now listened to the music...I realized I've never heard Frame By Frame by this lineup before...which got me to thinking...what other songs did the 7 or 8 man Krim do that haven't been documented yet? The two I can think of off the top of my head are Larks IV and EleKctric. Did this lineup do The Sheltering Sky or am I just imagining it?

Michael Giles supposedly didn't appreciate the music business and compared it to an animal traveling with the circus that is caged up then turned loose to perform...caged again and transported to the next town. That's actually pretty accurate. It can in fact have that impression on you if you tour the national circuit.

On the front cover of Progress Michael Giles is standing by the railroad tracks with drum cases waiting for the train. "Rolling" could possibly make reference to a studio musician taking the train to London to do session work. "Moving" seems like a person riding a train and daydreaming about the countryside, the sea, or an imaginary band. I've often wondered if Progress is about him. The whole album feels like it's about a musician making a life transition. It could probably be interpreted differently ? And it's very Canterbury sounding.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    37 Forms...

This could be unrelated apart from P@T having brought the title and audio clip, I dunno.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1044...-2017-Tour-Box

A certain performance of King Crimson at the Fillmore East in 69' was praised in highest regard by Robert Fripp. This performance was recorded direct with the soundboard. I don't know what kind of tape was used. Reel to reel ?

Robert Fripp has stated several times that it was the greatest performance of the 69' band. Supposedly Pete Sinfield misplaced this tape ...I believe at an airport in Morroco.

20 plus years later Michael Giles discovered a cassette recording of the Fillmore East show...except the quality was poor because it was an audience recording and several songs were not included as they were cut off for some reason...or edited out. ...but at least it's something to reference.

The Fillmore West concert featured in the Epitaph box set is not one of their better shows. If you can make out what the band is playing on the Fillmore East audience tape you might hear the difference in the band's tightness. Shame that Sinfield misplaced it...or was it stolen?