Page 88 of 90 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990 LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 2249

Thread: King Crimson News

King Crimson News

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

However - after the RCMH 50th show - she stated "Was that musak actually the Islands song that P@T loves? That was awful...." (She's a big P@T fan)

Explanation required.

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat Mastelotto's name is sometimes styled as P@ - I dunno about P@T.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I am assuming that P@T is Porcupine Tree, but you were in such a hurry that was all you had time to write?
    Or you're 14?
    What a douche you are. Seriously.
    No one misunderstood (even if misspelled Mastelotto's stylized name).

Back to the hole with you.

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Pat Mastelotto's name is sometimes styled as P@ - I dunno about P@T.
    Googling seems to turn up more "P@T" than "P@", but the latter makes more sense give that he's not "Patt".

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^ I don’t particularly like the 21st century version of “Islands.” The sparseness and simplicity yet drive of Wallace’s drums on the original studio version make it the clearly superior version. Don’t really like what Harrison did with it.
    It also doesnt have the most majestic cornet solo in the history of recorded music.

Also, pretty laughable to do this song in a group with three drummers.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Yep I don’t think three drummers are needed. The sax solo on the 21st century version is similar to the version of Islands on Jakko’s solo album ‘The Bruised Romantic Glee Club’

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    Yep I don’t think three drummers are needed.
    TBH, I don't think three drummers were ever needed at all.

I've enjoyed many bands with double drummers (not just in prog circles), including the Crimson double trio line-up and Muir-era, but three is overkill, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I am glad they did Islands. I loved seeing them play it. I had not paid attention to how the setlists developed post Radical Action and was shocked to see it on the tracklist from Live at Chicago--just as shocked as I was to see the Lizard tracks.

Fripp apparently was proud of the song. They had a piano player who could do a credible job with the piano part (even if his day job was third drummer). The sax solo seems very Dave Matthews Band ballad, and it was never going to have the delicate touch that made the studio version so special but I still love the rendition.

The whole “third drummer” question feels irrelevant. Stacey spent about 50% of his time playing keys, mostly piano—and doing so very, very well. Listen to the piano he contributed in late-stage versions of “Red,” for example. That’s his arrangement, and it’s awesome. When he plays Tippett’s lines on stuff like “Islands” or “Lizard,” it sounds like Tippett, like I always imagined those songs would sound like live with Tippett aboard.

I know I stared the whole “I don’t like the new version of ‘Islands’” thing, but I do like the modern version. Jakko does a beautiful job with the vocals. I just prefer the original version and that by a wide margin.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I thought Islands live by that lineup was one of the best concert moments of my life. It was astounding, and the entire St David's Hall audience seemed to agree, judging by the reaction following a pause of reverence.

I also thought the three drummer set up was great, something I am unlikely to ever see again with anybody.

All of us could throw a few items of rotten fruit at Fripp for certain happenings over the years, but I, for one, will never make any such negativity on his creative decisions.
    I review and blog at www.lazland.org

Hearing them do islands was definitely one of the top moments of the 8 times I saw the modern KC. Always one of my favorites never imagined I would hear it love but it really moves me.

I have plenty of qualms and things I wish they had done etc but no complaints about islands from me.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    What a douche you are. Seriously.
    No one misunderstood (even if misspelled Mastelotto's stylized name).

Back to the hole with you.

I didn't know he spelled his name like that. I thought you were doing silly text typing.
    The douche apologizes to the twat.

Discussion of "Islands" made me go revisit the original. I had up till now dismissed it, probably on account of its placement on the Islands album. Upon first listen I had been hoping for a kick-ass closer a la Court or at least something with some aggro to balance out what seemed an excessively quiet ambiance and flow throughout the album. The oft-quoted comments from Boz Burrell about "airy-fairy" music didn't help matters. Now I realize that the song is quite beautiful and the musicians interpret it with sensitivity.

A friend of mine said that he discovered KC through reading a negative review of Islands in Rolling Stone magazine which inspired him to investigate the band. I didn't see the review, but I probably wouldn't disagree as I still regard it as KC's weakest studio recording. Of course, the personnel issues must have been a contributing factor. (I also was put off by the lyrics of "Ladies of the Road.")
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

^”Ladies of the Road” has some cringey lyrics. Sinfield would, of course, top that cringe fest only a few years later with “Taste of My Love.” That’s certainly a feather one can be proud to stick in one’s cap …
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The whole “third drummer” question feels irrelevant. Stacey spent about 50% of his time playing keys, mostly piano—and doing so very, very well. Listen to the piano he contributed in late-stage versions of “Red,” for example. That’s his arrangement, and it’s awesome. When he plays Tippett’s lines on stuff like “Islands” or “Lizard,” it sounds like Tippett, like I always imagined those songs would sound like live with Tippett aboard.

I know I stared the whole “I don’t like the new version of ‘Islands’” thing, but I do like the modern version. Jakko does a beautiful job with the vocals. I just prefer the original version and that by a wide margin.

yes, fucking lame non-observant complaint. Jeremy played as much keys as he did drums. post Rieflin, he really was the special sauce

the band never really utilized the trio for as much as say, 65% of the set. if you went to shows from the start to the end you'd see the change. the addition of the Lizard and Islands material really proves this

why do people complain over things that aren't really true???

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    I thought Islands live by that lineup was one of the best concert moments of my life. It was astounding, and the entire St David's Hall audience seemed to agree, judging by the reaction following a pause of reverence.
    Too bad that reverence didn't extend to every performance of the outro of Sailor's Tale. One show I saw had loud applause that started as soon as the guitar crescendo ended. Live at the Orpheum has the same problem. I think maybe that piece makes a good test of one's Crimso knowledge; seasoned fans know that there's a relatively quiet ending underway, and people who might only own a copy of Court and/or Discipline are probably the ones who start whooping.

Also, I like the way the recent tours flipped the order of Sailors/Letters. Never mind hearing it the other way around for years; Letters made a better intro to Sailors than the other way around.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 05-17-2024 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelogicPA View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I saw them with Rieflin and with Stacey. The three drummers rarely all played at once. They traded off sections of songs and drum breaks and Mastelotto often had a sort of Jamie Muir role disrupting Harrison's Bruford style parts. Rieflin played keys on some songs (mellotron on "Starless") as Stacey did.

Shouldn't the douche enter the twat, instead??

apologizing sounds like it's not going to happen
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Shouldn't the douche enter the twat, instead??

apologizing sounds like it's not going to happen
    I just wish I was called a dick, it would have been more fun in the long run. 😄

I just wish I was called a dick, it would have been more fun in the long run. ��
    you'd have shot your twad in the twat

just kidding, of course, Mudshark

I didn't say it was bad (or even pointless), just overkill.

Of course, they had to make room for each other and find other occupations.
    Can't be 100% sure, but I think I last saw them with Matselotto, Rieflin, Harrison and Stacey (for the Radical tour in Europe) - though it sounds wrong, because of Stacey & Rieflin together >> unless Rieflin had moved "upstairs" with his KB.
    Maybe I should've taken a picture of Tony taking a picture of us.

Quote Originally Posted by revelogicPA View Post
    yes, fucking lame non-observant complaint. Jeremy played as much keys as he did drums. post Rieflin, he really was the special sauce. the band never really utilized the trio for as much as say, 65% of the set. if you went to shows from the start to the end you'd see the change. the addition of the Lizard and Islands material really proves this

Who was complaining??
    Last edited by Trane; 05-18-2024 at 04:06 AM.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ yeah they did one tour (maybe a second?) with Rieflin only on keys. My preferred lineup of this version of Krim honestly.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Of course, they had to make room for each other and find other occupations.
    Can't be 100% sure, but I think I last saw them with Matselotto, Rieflin, Harrison and Stacey (for the Radical tour in Europe) - though it sounds wrong, because of Stacey & Rieflin together >> unless Rieflin had moved "upstairs" with his KB.
    That lineup was on the Meltdown box set

I didn't know he spelled his name like that. I thought you were doing silly text typing.
    Don't you mean tw@ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Don't you mean tw@ ?
    This is *ting to get out of h&.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.