Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 40808687888990
Results 2,226 to 2,249 of 2249

Thread: King Crimson News

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revelogicPA View Post
    Amy from DGM USA sent an email yesterday stating that she is stepping aside after 24 years

this also will CLOSE the Inner Knot US store and revert to a single UK based DGM store for physical product

stock up!

" I have been overseeing the North American territory, including mail order via The Schizoid Shop, for 27+ years. I have enjoyed this job immensely, but it is time for a change. Business is such that it makes sense to consolidate and run all operations out of Europe. DGM is continuing on with the download shop, and I know they have releases to come. This change affects only Inner Knot and The Schizoid Shop, and I want to make sure you either use your credit or I will submit a refund to you in any amounts unused.

I am working to shut things down by the end of this month.

It has been a pleasure working with all of you these many years. I will soon be announcing this news to the entire mailing list, but I did not want anyone with credit remaining on a gift certificate to worry when reading the news. I want you to know your credit will be honored.

My very best wishes,
    Amy "
    WEll this is most unfortunate. This combined with the end of the large box sets definitely feels like the end of an era.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I haven't found a reliably "easy" way, but it can be done with VLC media player although the process is so convoluted and error-prone that half the time I just record the audio from my soundcard while playing it, after having shut off all system sounds and notifications and any browsers to avoid glitching things up on my crappy old laptop.
    Of course.

Thanks. I was afraid this was the answer. I have done the audacity thing before but its such a pain in the ass I try to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    WEll this is most unfortunate. This combined with the end of the large box sets definitely feels like the end of an era.
    Glad I got all my box sets. THRAK slipped by me though and now it's hen's teeth or pay the price.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I suppose I’m having trouble accepting the idea that Crimso is really done. There’s little left in the archives (at least, little that I or anyone else who owns all the boxes hasn’t heard). There’s likely to never be another tour or new tune.

I know many of you have spent longer with the band than I, but like many of you, I found them in my teens. I bought Thrak when it was released. I remember staring at The Great Deceiver at the local shop wondering what exactly an improv is and how “Cat Food” could be pulled off live—with a violin no less!

The band mean a lot to me, and I know that’s true for the players as much as any, so I don’t begrudge them their rest or retirement.

Maybe there’s something left, but maybe I should give up that ghost, too. It’s hard. I didn’t think it would be.

But it is.

Hobo Chang Ba (and if you can type that or read that without using your best Beefheart impression, you’re a stronger person than I) is absolutely correct. No more big boxes is troubling for many different reasons.

The biggest? It’s over. It’s done.

As I was leaving The Anthem in DC, after Crimso played (presumably—still presumably) their final American show, I repeatedly shouted, to no one in particular, “That’s it. There’s no more. It’s done.”

Ach. I was trying to convince myself, wasn’t I?

Thank you to all the musicians. Thank you for all the time.

Thank you to Amy at DGM.

Thank you to the fans.

Thank you, King Crimson. This band means too much to me. I’m done, and I’m happy.
    Well said. KC is my favorite band so the potential for the end of the line is always a difficult path for me to imagine. I can only hope that smaller CD sets will still be released occasionally. I would love a 2018 or 2019 live set at some point, for one.

I'll probably go over to inner knot one final time and pluck a few of the KCCCs that I don't have yet for one final time.

Of course.

Thanks. I was afraid this was the answer. I have done the audacity thing before but its such a pain in the ass I try to avoid it.
    I had the same question about converting DVD/Blu-ray audio into a more convenient format. With the Exposures box being sold at a more than reasonable price I thought it might be worth getting for the Frippertronics. But 90% of them are only on one of the DVDs.

I have done the audacity thing before but its such a pain in the ass I try to avoid it.
    Using Audacity to record something off your PC audio seems real simple to me:

* Make sure your PC sound is set at a high enough level and you've turned off all extraneous sound sources
    * Bring up Audacity
    * (for Windows) Make sure the audio host (leftmost pulldown) is set to Windows WASAPI
    * Hit the Record button (big red dot)
    * Start playing your audio source material
    * When it finishes, hit the Stop button (big yellow square)
    * Select "File ... Export Audio"
    * Specify destination and type of file (for mp3, use Options to set the best quality)

Sometimes Audacity is shaky getting started on the recording. What I usually do is play the first 10 seconds of the source material, then rewind it and start it again from the beginning. Then before exporting to audio, I use the editor to remove the first 10 seconds of playback (everything from then on should be problem free).

One more thing: Be extra careful not to hit your Caps Lock or Num Lock key during recording. Those sounds can't be turned off.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I had the same question about converting DVD/Blu-ray audio into a more convenient format. With the Exposures box being sold at a more than reasonable price I thought it might be worth getting for the Frippertronics. But 90% of them are only on one of the DVDs.
    I was actually just having this debate with myself! I really don't have much interest in the Exposures box (way too much repetition of material I don't love) but the frippertronics stuff is what I do want. And the price point isn't awful...although still a bit high per disk of that stuff I actually want. But I'm definitely right in the middle of the fence for this one.

If there was an easy way then perhaps it would push me over the edge. Alas...

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    Using Audacity to record something off your PC audio seems real simple to me:

* Make sure your PC sound is set at a high enough level and you've turned off all extraneous sound sources
    * Bring up Audacity
    * (for Windows) Make sure the audio host (leftmost pulldown) is set to Windows WASAPI
    * Hit the Record button (big red dot)
    * Start playing your audio source material
    * When it finishes, hit the Stop button (big yellow square)
    * Select "File ... Export Audio"
    * Specify destination and type of file (for mp3, use Options to set the best quality)

Sometimes Audacity is shaky getting started on the recording. What I usually do is play the first 10 seconds of the source material, then rewind it and start it again from the beginning. Then before exporting to audio, I use the editor to remove the first 10 seconds of playback (everything from then on should be problem free).

One more thing: Be extra careful not to hit your Caps Lock or Num Lock key during recording. Those sounds can't be turned off.
    It's the needing to not use the computer/being quiet that is the problem. Especially for something that long.

It's the needing to not use the computer/being quiet that is the problem. Especially for something that long.
    Your observation reminds me of when I was in college, sitting in someone's dorm room while they were making a cassette copy of the McCartney LP and hearing them complain about the inconvenience of having to just sit there and listen to the whole thing while taping it.

It makes one wonder: if you don't have the patience to listen to it all the way through, why do you want a copy of it so badly? (Or, as Sheryl Crow put it: If it makes you happy, then why the hell are you so sad?)

LOL

Ok.

This probably doesn't justify a response, but ill attempt...these are two different things. Listening to something and ripping it are two different things. I have plenty of stuff that I've ripped and listen to on a somewhat regular basis (at least as regular a basis as I listen to anything in my collection). Also, I guess I'm the only one that listens to music while doing something else.

I also have problems sitting for long periods of time due to a back injury. So even when I listen to stuff on my stereo/when it is my sole focus I always walk around.

Also, I guess I'm the only one that listens to music while doing something else.
    Certainly not. If reading stuff on the Internet qualifies as "doing something else" then I am too.

Thanks to all who answered my question above! Can't seem to get multi-quote working.

Seems like Chicago will be the next one to get, while I ponder which of the more expansive collections to go for.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Thanks to all who answered my question above! Can't seem to get multi-quote working.

Seems like Chicago will be the next one to get, while I ponder which of the more expansive collections to go for.
    You won't be disappointed with that show!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I have Radical Actions, which is unmissable if only for the filmed concert, and Orpheum (which isn't my fave anymore, to say the least - I can't believe its poor rating in PA, though) & Chicago.

Toronto is fantastic, if only for Starless, but I think it's a KCCC thingie.
    Live In Chicago for a amazingly smoking live set. Meltdown for a best overview of this lineup (which is no slouch it self of course)
    Audio Diary is a good 'un, and inexpensive (for a box) at Amazon at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    That Chicago show was fantastic in person. It has been great seeing it get so much love as I tend to always wonder if I'm overrating something I saw in person.
    ^The Chicago set is indeed excellent. If you can only get one, get that.

But …

Does anyone else have a gut feeling that a box of this band’s output will eventually emerge? Wouldn’t it look nice sitting next to the Heaven and Earth box? And a sequenced, studio enhanced and 5.1 mixed album of the new tunes would, of course, be included.

I mean, I’d buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    This is *exactly* what I was going to suggest!
    Another good feature of the Audio Diary set is that it features contributions from everybody who appeared, including Chris Gibson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    You won't be disappointed with that show!
    The CD just arrived, but I'm not sure if I would be popular blasting it through the house on a Sunday morning. Must be patient.

EDIT: Well, go figure. The multi-quote worked after all, but not when I was expecting it. Cordial thanks to all quoted above!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

LOL

Ok.

This probably doesn't justify a response, but ill attempt...these are two different things. Listening to something and ripping it are two different things. I have plenty of stuff that I've ripped and listen to on a somewhat regular basis (at least as regular a basis as I listen to anything in my collection). Also, I guess I'm the only one that listens to music while doing something else.

I also have problems sitting for long periods of time due to a back injury. So even when I listen to stuff on my stereo/when it is my sole focus I always walk around.
    I used to own DVD Audio Extractor and used it for purposes like this pretty well. There was a bit of up-front effort to find the "right" audio on some DVDs (I preferred to rip the stereo tracks rather than the 5.1 mixes which sound a little weird when bounced to stereo), but once you've gotten that sorted out, it rips quickly (i.e. not real time ala a vinyl record or cassette) and the end quality is as good as you prefer it to be.

FWIW.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I used to own DVD Audio Extractor and used it for purposes like this pretty well. There was a bit of up-front effort to find the "right" audio on some DVDs (I preferred to rip the stereo tracks rather than the 5.1 mixes which sound a little weird when bounced to stereo), but once you've gotten that sorted out, it rips quickly (i.e. not real time ala a vinyl record or cassette) and the end quality is as good as you prefer it to be.

FWIW.
    So often you chime in with thoughtful, helpful feedback about your experiences with some very cool gear.

Thanks for being her, John!!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

FWIW.
    Thanks. I shall investigate this.

I'll probably go over to inner knot one final time and pluck a few of the KCCCs that I don't have yet for one final time.
    It was such a good idea that I did the same. One more Larks’ tee, a couple of the Mr. Stormy’s and a pin. Nothing I need, I suppose, but that’s never stopped me before.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Nothing he’s got, he really needs, 21st century schizoid man !!

It was such a good idea that I did the same. One more Larks’ tee, a couple of the Mr. Stormy’s and a pin. Nothing I need, I suppose, but that’s never stopped me before.
    Yeah, I got the Wiltern set, sid Smith's book, and I finally caved and bought Exposures just because.

Will feel weird when Inner Knot becomes no more.

Good they were able to do all the really necessary boxed sets before the market for them disappears (or dwindles).
    I would, however, second the call for a set of audio/video from the final line-up, in particular the 2018 tour which was my favourite in terms of line-up and repertoire.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

^

I was also kind of hopeful for a soundscapes box that would collect recordings of that era like the Exposures box did for the frippertronics, although I knew that was a bit pipedreamish.

The eons are closing
    ^

I was also kind of hopeful for a soundscapes box that would collect recordings of that era like the Exposures box did for the frippertronics, although I knew that was a bit pipedreamish.
    While it doesn't bridge the entire gap, the 8CD Music for Quiet Moments box fills a lot of that space.

Each of the 52 pieces was drawn from Soundscapes’ performances from 2004 to*2009 and venues/shows as varied as those for G3 (Satriani, Vai, Fripp), to Churchscapes (as the name suggests, concerts in churches), opening act for Porcupine Tree and even appearances at ‘The Big Chill’ festival.
    Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Oh I do have that, and it is lovely. But yeah, I was hoping for something more expansive. But MFQM existence definitely contributes to that wish being more pipedreamy.

That said, I should bust that one out soon. Haven't spun those discs in a while.