Page 91 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192 LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2277

Thread: King Crimson News

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Apparently, a short clip of '21st Century Schizoid Man' from an old TV programme (1969) has recently been discovered.
    Time for a new box set to include it!
    😄

DGM will be releasing King Crimson's Sheltering Skies (Live in Frejus, August 27th 1982) on 9/6/2024. Click below for details.

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/sheltering-skies

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    DGM will be releasing King Crimson's Sheltering Skies (Live in Frejus, August 27th 1982) on 9/6/2024. Click below for details.

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/sheltering-skies
    Superfluous to disc 17 of On And Off The Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Superfluous to disc 17 of On And Off The Road.
    On vinyl for those want that and standalone if people don't want the full box.

So not really superfluous.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    On vinyl for those want that and standalone if people don't want the full box.

So not really superfluous.
    Agreed.Also, I believe that box is now OOP?

Additionally, this show was really the only reason to buy the 80s box (IMO) so I never did. But I will happily jump on the standalone release. The frejus show is outstanding.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Yeah, I got the Wiltern set, sid Smith's book, and I finally caved and bought Exposures just because.

Will feel weird when Inner Knot becomes no more.
    All this came on friday. Just had time to listen to the Montreal set.

Entry and Industry and definitely from the other night. I'm not positive but I strongly feel Indiscipline and Satori are as well. I don't know songs like Three Of A Perfect Pair enough to know if they are different without doing a direct comparison but at least this is midly encouraging. I have also downloaded that VLC app, so I will probably try to extract from the DVD next week sometime.

The exposures box is pretty nice looking. Still don't know how often I will listen to the many alternate mixes of the album proper, but definitely looking foward to floating away with some frippertronics.

^It definitely feels like a new mix compared to Absent Lovers and not just different track selections (though that is also the case—Belew’s chatter between songs is slightly but obviously different). I picked up KCCC 50 for the sake of completionism and the Levin viddys (which are interesting but underwhelming). I’d be curious to find out if this new standalone Frejus ‘82 has a new mix though I can’t imagine it will.

I’m also curious if anyone else is hearing new stuff on KCCC 50. Tunes and performances that should be very familiar to me at this point feel different, but perhaps I’m hearing something that’s not there.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    but perhaps I’m hearing something that’s not there.
    Happens to me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^It definitely feels like a new mix compared to Absent Lovers and not just different track selections (though that is also the case—Belew’s chatter between songs is slightly but obviously different). I picked up KCCC 50 for the sake of completionism and the Levin viddys (which are interesting but underwhelming). I’d be curious to find out if this new standalone Frejus ‘82 has a new mix though I can’t imagine it will.

I’m also curious if anyone else is hearing new stuff on KCCC 50. Tunes and performances that should be very familiar to me at this point feel different, but perhaps I’m hearing something that’s not there.
    Good point. Belew's banter is not the same anywhere (I don't believe), so unless there is some tomfoolery all those tracks are from the other night.

I'm not the right person to discuss mixes, because they are always underwhelming/too subtle for me. Even the much ballyhooed Hot Rats remix doesn't sound like a completely different album as it is often pitched, to me (outside of The Gumbo Variations which is obviously pretty different overall). For me, the songs I mentioned definitely are not what I remember on AL. Others I suppose could be a new mix of course.

As for new stuff, I would attribute that more to the Crim than anything else, but as you said, if it is a different mix than that would probably explain it.

[the Montreal set]

I don't know songs like Three Of A Perfect Pair enough to know if they are different without doing a direct comparison
    I am impressed that they released this underwhelming rendition of ''Three of a perfect pair''. One of the players manages to persist in error throughout (and possibly since).

So, any more news on this recovered Schizoid clip then. I wasn't aware there was even the potential of anything from that period other than Hyde Park..?

The frejus show is outstanding.
    I saw KC on this tour 3 shows later, in Wiesbaden. It was a slightly shorter set - they omitted Neal & Jack & Me, and Heartbeat, because it was a festival date (5th Golden Summernight concert, which also included Neil Young, Jethro Tull, April Wine & Michael Schenker Group). But they were fantastic that night, and I thought the "older" crowd of mostly Tull & Young fans really responded well to the newer music that KC was performing.

Man, wish I could go back and re-live that day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Time for a new box set to include it!
    ��
    It's probably destined for a whole box set on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie87 View Post
    I saw KC on this tour 3 shows later, in Wiesbaden. It was a slightly shorter set - they omitted Neal & Jack & Me, and Heartbeat, because it was a festival date (5th Golden Summernight concert, which also included Neil Young, Jethro Tull, April Wine & Michael Schenker Group). But they were fantastic that night, and I thought the "older" crowd of mostly Tull & Young fans really responded well to the newer music that KC was performing.

Man, wish I could go back and re-live that day.
    That does sound pretty sweet. One thing I get from the 80s lineup more than any of the others, is just the fun that they exude on stage. Which is perhaps a bit strange given the 'discipline' aspect, but you can tell they are all having a great time on stage and they really transfer that to the audience and to tape.

That does sound pretty sweet. One thing I get from the 80s lineup more than any of the others, is just the fun that they exude on stage. Which is perhaps a bit strange given the 'discipline' aspect, but you can tell they are all having a great time on stage and they really transfer that to the audience and to tape.
    Which is what I hope the Beat tour has, is fun.

I saw the Beat tour in NYC and the band was having fun. By contrast, the ToaPP tour at the same venue (The Pier) was tense. You could feel the tension in the band.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I would say there is a high probability of that. Vai seems like a fun guy and it is definitely a labor of love for all involved so I feel like they wouldn't be doing this if got too 'heavy'.

An expanded edition of I advance masked will be released in september.

https://www.noise11.com/news/andy-su...anded-20240708
    Last edited by unclemeat; 2 Days Ago at 03:30 AM.

My "superfluous" comment was from my seeing the announcement about this release and then checking to see if it offered anything new to people who already owned On And Off The Road.

I am impressed that they released this underwhelming rendition of ''Three of a perfect pair''. One of the players manages to persist in error throughout (and possibly since).
    Could you elaborate? Not sure what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Could you elaborate? Not sure what you mean.
    Fripp stubbornly plays his part maybe one or two beats behind the rest of the band. I can see how one could err for a few bars or a verse, but he presses on for the entire song... (I've played it, I know how it's supposed to go).

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I saw the Beat tour in NYC and the band was having fun. By contrast, the ToaPP tour at the same venue (The Pier) was tense. You could feel the tension in the band.
    Saw that show, but it was my only show for that incarnation of Crim, so nothing to compare it to.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

An expanded edition of I advance masked will be released in september.

https://www.noise11.com/news/andy-su...anded-20240708
    Interesting. Will need to see a tracklist and have a relisten to see if this is worth a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    The first time I saw KC was The Discipline Tour at The Savoy in NYC in 1981. I was totally Blown Away! Also saw the band when they played at The Pier in 1982 and 1984. The 1982 show was still great. By the 1984 show, not only could I feel the tension that was in Crimson by '84, I read about in Musician magazine where Robert laid out his dissatisfaction with KC at the time.
    Last edited by starless and bible black; 23 Hours Ago at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    I read about in Musician magazine where Robert laid out his dissatisfaction with KC at the time.

it's amazing how much press Musician magazine gave Robert Fripp back then. I beleive he even held some guest editor spots too

maybe the most well rounded well written music subscription