Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Nothing "official" as far as I know but the last time I had a talk with Daniel (a few months ago) he confirmed that as far as UZ is concerned it's really the end of the story and he has no other future musical projects or collaborations in mind, thus don't expect anything. He seemed a little disappointed and bitter about his career (or the musical industry ?), and no he doesn't seem to be aware about how important and unique the music he created actually is.
    I don't know anything more specific (Daniel is not a very talkative guy) but if all this doesn't looks like a retirement, then what else ?
    Is retirement "bad"?

Is self-aware modesty "bad"?

Because there are 500 people on this planet that deny that this is all over, and still want more? Like it hasn't been more than enough already?

Shall we say "darn, so early, so soon, so young"?

I honestly don't understand a thing here. It's ok to be tired and fed up of it all.

At least it is ok for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Is retirement "bad"?

Is self-aware modesty "bad"?

Because there are 500 people on this planet that deny that this is all over, and still want more? Like it hasn't been more than enough already?

Shall we say "darn, so early, so soon, so young"?

I honestly don't understand a thing here. It's ok to be tired and fed up of it all.

At least it is ok for me.
    It was only my (informative) response to all the people who asked. I 100% agree with all you said above and fully respect both Daniel's and Bill Bruford's decision to retire. Nothing bad about that but sometimes a little better communication can't hurt, but this is definitely not Daniel's strength.

Is it better to burn out or to fade away ?

Nothing "official" as far as I know but the last time I had a talk with Daniel (a few months ago) he confirmed that as far as UZ is concerned it's really the end of the story and he has no other future musical projects or collaborations in mind, thus don't expect anything. He seemed a little disappointed and bitter about his career (or the musical industry ?)
    He was disappointed basically the entire time I worked with him, which something like 25 years.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Well, at least he was consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, at least he was consistent.
    bada-BAM!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Univers Zero = Daniel Denis (+ his troopers).
    I am never sure if he understood that even his music is original, unique and fantastic, he needs to nurse the brand, pay a manager, grease where ever its needed, smile..., play a lot of gigs (to a salery less than YES had), etc.

I could be wrong - who knows his private life.
    from what I know, neither DD (or Roger, FTM) are doing well financially, to say the least... But at least, Roger is getting medicare money for his rare disease. I won't say any more to that part (private) of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    This is a really really good and perceptive question that I think the answer to is that he wanted to do it the way he wanted to do it, and he wasn’t interested in advice.

He certainly was never interested in advice from our office.
    Oh, I can easily imagine. Ever since I met him in the mid-90's,, it always seemed to exude from ever pore of his skin.
    But he was complaining too often (IMHO) to match that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Are you suggesting that he should retire?
    Are you suggesting that he effectively has not already?
    last time I spoke to him (April), he didn't seem to care to ever touch a drum anymore ... his whole body language transpired that attitude.

Was there an announcement to that effect? (I'm still pretty much a UZ newbie at this point, anyway)
    Anyone who expects anything like ‘an announcement’ about anything out of that camp, is obviously a newbie....

He FIRED the two volunteers who ran his website really professionally and well, probably because they needed official info, which they would continually (politely) ask for and which would never be supplied....
    Yeah, there seems to be a totally unrealistic side to DD, but I think the Mrs. has a lot to do with his erratic decisions.

Nothing "official" as far as I know but the last time I had a talk with Daniel (a few months ago) he confirmed that as far as UZ is concerned it's really the end of the story and he has no other future musical projects or collaborations in mind, thus don't expect anything. He seemed a little disappointed and bitter about his career (or the musical industry ?), and no he doesn't seem to be aware about how important and unique the music he created actually is.
    I don't know anything more specific (Daniel is not a very talkative guy) but if all this doesn't looks like a retirement, then what else ?
    DD is talkative to people he trusts, unfortunately what he says varies from one conversation to the next.

As for the industry side, or even the friendly side, I'm not even sure he's very connected at all... not that he ever was back then anyways. Having spoken many times to him, Roger, Guy Seghers, it's any kind of wonder these guys lasted in the industry the many years they did... I'd say that the guys label guys must've had loads of patience to deal with those dudes, both in the 70/80's and in their second career in the 90's and 00's.

(BTW, Seghers is certainly not doing better than Roger or Daniel, BTW)

Let's face it, he (DD) couldn't even manage to get on time to Zaboitzeff's first show of his latest project Aria Primitiva in Les Intemporelles festival last April in Soignies.... and that's 10 minutes walk from his place (ok, by car if you wish). He showed up 5 minutes after TZ's set (you could see Zab's face being disappointed too). There could've been an opportunity to dig with Zab, but he probably (willingly?) blew it.

Is it better to burn out or to fade away ?
    maybe DD (no matter how much I like him and respect him) will manage to do both at the same time.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think Univers Zero legacy is pretty impressive.

So hats off to DD and co.

Retirement is fine if you dont want to play /compose anymore, if you want to be something else than a musician. That is what Bruford did.

If Daniel is de facto retired, I dont think thats why.

btw if Art Zoyd continues, I guess he might play with them occasionally.

Retirement is fine if you dont want to play /compose anymore, if you want to be something else than a musician. That is what Bruford did.

If Daniel is de facto retired, I dont think thats why.
    I didn't ask (I don't think I'm close enough to ask such things), but he didn't volunteer the info as to what he would do.

btw if Art Zoyd continues, I guess he might play with them occasionally.
    Zoyd is definitely over as well... Zab apparently is adamant about this (especially now, since Hourbette is RIP), so he told us in April (the post-gig interview crowd in Soignies)
    He was a bit clearer as to Patricia's absence in the 44 1/2 project.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    lets face it this genre is extinct
    You can do "music just for fun" only so long unless you have other sources of income.

^^^^^

Yes, those guy’s label guy was UNBELIEVABLY patient with them. Give him a medal. He earned it.

Oh, too late. He’s extinct too.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

How about a nice crisp "attaboy" and a congenial pat on the back?

(actually not funny but sad)
    (yay for zombie labels returning from dead, must not destroy head or remove brain)
    (still protecting my brains)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

:-)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    How about a nice crisp "attaboy" and a congenial pat on the back?

(actually not funny but sad)
    (yay for zombie labels returning from dead, must not destroy head or remove brain)
    (still protecting my brains)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    bada-BAM!
    It occurs to me that a PE rimshot should be in a prog time signature.

It occurs to me that a PE rimshot should be in a prog time signature.
    It is: bada is in 17/16 subdivided 3/4 and 5/16, BAM is actually a slow 5/2.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Give him a medal. He earned it. Oh, too late. He’s extinct too.
    If you believe in forever,
    Then life is just a one-night stand.
    If there's a [prog rock] heaven,
    Well you know they've got a hell of a band
    Only the good die young

11 pages... perhaps this has been mentioned...

I have an album connected to UZ by a chap named Alain Rochette from 1981 (the time of Ceux Du Dehors)
    I haven't played it in forever, but it seems like it might be of interest to UZ fans (has Daniel Denis and produced by Eric Faes) anyone ever heard of this?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

I have an album connected to UZ by a chap named Alain Rochette from 1981 (the time of Ceux Du Dehors)
    I haven't played it in forever, but it seems like it might be of interest to UZ fans (has Daniel Denis and produced by Eric Faes) anyone ever heard of this?
    https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...te/modulation/
    I suppose Henri Houben is Steve's brother
    I remember seeing it in the library system, but I guess I lost it from my radar... Hopefully it's still on catalogue.

====================

has anybody heard this?? (Hadn't even heard of its release)

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/al...gen/quintet-1/

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Very good jazz/electric jazz album in the 70s ECM vein. Daniel playing completely unlike what you've always heard him do and playing that ECM style well.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

has anybody heard this?? (Hadn't even heard of its release)
    I just saw Audrey Chen and Phil Minton in duo about 4 months ago. They were great. No Guy, though.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

UZ is UZ but

Their second album, Kotegarda, is tremendous and remains a favourite of mine. A shame that nothing else emerged from that camp (that I know of).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    UZ is UZ but

Which albums do these guys have out? Are they the Polish band? There are a bunch of Gargantua's out there.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Which albums do these guys have out? Are they the Polish band? There are a bunch of Gargantua's out there.
    Yeah, the Polish band. They made two albums:
    "Gargantua" (Ars Mundi, 2003);
    "Kotegarda" (Roadkill Music, 2007)

I only have the second and it is excellent. Dunno if it is still available somewhere. It is not on BC unfortunately.

The first Gargantua has a very catchy unique sound that's hard to describe. Lots of guitar and weird synth interplay with alien vocals.

The second one is more generic chamber prog like, not that that's a bad thing.

Sorry to hear about DD and UZ throwing in the towel.

They've been my favorite band for the last twenty years.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone