Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    UZ needs a nice Christmas album with Billy Joel on vocals and harpsichord.
    Present tried to cash in on the Christmas thing once but it didn’t seem to help their sales.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    He did, however, take money from us which was ‘intended’ for a DVD, and then not deliver the DVD or return any money. [I realize that this has been stated earlier].

Daniel Denis is 70 years old. He has been a full time or professional musician for 55 years.

MAYBE he should ‘own’ and take responsibility for his artistic choices and the decisions he has made during that time, all of which, as far as I can tell, were all his choices (they certainly never came from my side in the 25 years of collaboration).

You don’t see me blaming anyone for the choices that I made during my career; in fact, I am insanely proud of it and them.
    Thanks for reiterating that, Steve. It’s a shame!

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    You can't play RIO music and expect it have the sales and popularity of a Pink Floyd
    Obviously Daniel really loves the music that he does, and is justifiably proud (and protective) of it. He sounds like something of a perfectionist (I'm reminded of Allan Holdsworth, who was never satisfied with ANYTHING he did...)

But as much as he loves his music, he would have to be delusional to think the market for it is very big.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Obviously Daniel really loves the music that he does, and is justifiably proud (and protective) of it. He sounds like something of a perfectionist (I'm reminded of Allan Holdsworth, who was never satisfied with ANYTHING he did...)
    Having spent time with both, I don't think Daniel suffers from the same issue Allan had regarding his own work. I never had the impression that he is embarrassed with his past work, perhaps with some of the "image" associations with the first two albums, all that "dark", morbid imagery, but not really musically. Very different to Holdsworth, who at best seemed a little embarrassed with his own performance on albums, and at worst resented the very existence of some of them.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

hello all
    I didnt visit the forum for a long time

It is not clear if, when finished, the new record will be a Daniel's solo or Univers Zéro titled CD.

The line up has

DD - drums and keyboards
    Nicolas Denis - bass and vocals
    Nicolas Dechęne - guitar
    Kurt Budé - sax, clarinet

This is what I remember

No label yet.

Last time we exchange messages, no drums were recorded and "I think" that part was the only that was missing.

I will not explain why some decisions were made or not, as I am not Daniel Denis.

I think Steve has already explained all he needed from his side more than once.

Hi Renato good of you to chime in. Long time!

Hi Renato good of you to chime in. Long time!
    Hi Robert,

I hope all is ok with you! Long time indeed.

pandemic times..... disastrous

2 years trying to learn how to teach from home and 1 year running of what was left behind, because we discovered that our learning wan't that good!

about UZ... whenever I have more news, Michael or myself will bring to you.

Quote Originally Posted by remoraes View Post

The line up has

DD - drums and keyboards
    Nicolas Denis - bass and vocals
    Nicolas Dechęne - guitar
    Kurt Budé - sax, clarinet

3/5 of the last lineup. Excellent!

I dig Dechene’s guitar playing. Very much a Roger Trigaux vibe but with his own style.

Quote Originally Posted by selfextraction View Post
    3/5 of the last lineup. Excellent!

I dig Dechene’s guitar playing. Very much a Roger Trigaux vibe but with his own style.

it is interesting that Dechene plays bass in lots of jazz and folk records of Belgium scene

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Guy Segers still lives mostly on dole money after Carbon 7 croaked (from lack of public help)
    What does this even mean? All of Carbon 7's releases (apparently) are up on BandCamp, including merch where physical CDs are still in stock. What constitutes "croaking"? Did they have a physical storefront somewhere, like in Brussels?

Incidentally (not so incidentally actually!) I discovered the Eclectic Maybe Band (Segers + Dirk Descheemaeker, Andy Kirk, Roland Binet, Catherine Smet & a whole host of others) though BandCamp and am digging the hell out of their three albums. Guy has individual tracks up on his page, but the Disques Music page has the whole albums.

What does this even mean? All of Carbon 7's releases (apparently) are up on BandCamp, including merch where physical CDs are still in stock. What constitutes "croaking"?
    The last releases were in 2006/2007 so this is presumably liquidation of remaining stock.

So, Daniel Denis did not okay this video? But somebody...maybe the festival, just put it up on youtube, anyway? It's well-shot and edited. Better shot than some of the (amazing) Present DVD that was released.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    ...liquidation of remaining stock.
    What does THAT even mean? Does anybody do second pressings anymore???

I don't always pick up sarcasm, so sorry if I'm being dense, but... I would be surprised if Carbon 7 did too many second pressings. A minimum quantity might be 300 units (it's possible that replicators have come down on this minimum in the last few years as times might be getting tougher for them too) and if you were selling 15-20 a year before you ran out, it doesn't make much sense to saddle yourself with 15-20 more years of stock. Especially if you have a bunch of releases, which they did. For Carbon 7 specifically, I can remember some of their catalogue being hard to find / out of print 15+ years ago.

I can say for PQ we did second pressings on some stuff while I was there, but I would be surprised if Stephen has had any done in the last decade or so. It just doesn't make much sense after a certain point.

It just doesn't make much sense after a certain point.
    Currently ‘certain point’ generally means 12-18 months after release…
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

What does that mean?

If you have 75 left and you are selling 8 a year…
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    If you have 75 left and you are selling 8 a year…

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spock
    Live Long and Prosper.

I would be surprised if Stephen has had any done in the last decade or so.
    I'm pretty sure every library in the country's gonna want a copy of "Baker's Dozen" once the word gets out...

What does this even mean? All of Carbon 7's releases (apparently) are up on BandCamp, including merch where physical CDs are still in stock. What constitutes "croaking"? Did they have a physical storefront somewhere, like in Brussels?

Incidentally (not so incidentally actually!) I discovered the Eclectic Maybe Band (Segers + Dirk Descheemaeker, Andy Kirk, Roland Binet, Catherine Smet & a whole host of others) though BandCamp and am digging the hell out of their three albums. Guy has individual tracks up on his page, but the Disques Music page has the whole albums.
    Carbon-7 went bankrupt at some point and Guy was a partner, so he has the remaining stock. He is selling what remained. I have no idea if he has the copyright of all the works or agreement with musicians to sell the music in digital format at his bandcamp page.

About the video of UZ.... it probably was in their contract to play at Zappanale.

Quote Originally Posted by remoraes View Post
    Carbon-7 went bankrupt at some point and Guy was a partner, so he has the remaining stock. He is selling what remained. I have no idea if he has the copyright of all the works or agreement with musicians to sell the music in digital format at his bandcamp page.
    Interesting legal question. If you own, or co-own al label that goes bankrupt, and you have some remaining stock, presumably there'd be no barriers to selling the remaining copies. Selling digital downloads, would that be any different? Do artists have to sign a separate agreement to distribute their work in the digital format? Of course we don't know if Guy is revenue-sharing with the artists involved. In some cases, he's sold as many as six downloads!!!

In some cases, he's sold as many as six downloads!!!
    My Bandcamp collection includes releases for which I am the sole owner.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have some very low numbers in my bandcamp collection but the lowest appears to be Interference Sardines - Zucchini where me and a guy in Belgium are the only owners.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

^ ^ ^ ^

everyone who buys something does NOT necessarily end up as visible to the world on the item's BandCamp page; it depends on the user's settings.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Understood, just having fun with it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.