Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I have some very low numbers in my bandcamp collection but the lowest appears to be Interference Sardines - Zucchini where me and a guy in Belgium are the only owners.
    That is a REAL shame. I have the 2001 release on Dame, and I think it's an excellent album: imaginative arrangements, great musicianship including two violinists. Well, that's the way of the world alright... :-(

<edit> now that I see the responses, perhaps I spoke too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post
    That is a REAL shame. I have the 2001 release on Dame, and I think it's an excellent album: imaginative arrangements, great musicianship including two violinists. Well, that's the way of the world alright... :-(

<edit> now that I see the responses, perhaps I spoke too soon.
    Yeah, those IS releases were available on CD for a long time before Bandcamp was around, and are still readily findable used on Discogs if not new. So we're talking about the percentage of people who want to buy a 21 year old release with no current marketing and no bonus material in a digital format. One of the great things about Bandcamp is that it allows a group to keep a release like this available to those interested when the economics of a repress are not reasonable.

Banned
    ^^^ Yes, great point and I'm happy for Bandcamp because of it!

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Yeah, those IS releases were available on CD for a long time before Bandcamp was around, and are still readily findable used on Discogs if not new. So we're talking about the percentage of people who want to buy a 21 year old release with no current marketing and no bonus material in a digital format. One of the great things about Bandcamp is that it allows a group to keep a release like this available to those interested when the economics of a repress are not reasonable.

I am not sure if this is THE RIGHT spot to discuss this, however, let's go....

I exchange Lps/CDs with Wayside and many other people since.... well a long ago. Today only 2 or 3 places.Like several people here. The market changed due: internet (digital format), new generations interest (they like the digital format that is the fashion for them) and, mainly the absurd cost of postage around the World today (everywhere the postage is MUCH higher now).

So, 20 years ago, if a new interesting CD was out in Brazil, I could get 50 to 100 to export to Wayside, Europe and Japan. Nowadays.... I can get 5 to 10.

Almost no one wants to pay a lot of money with postage and a unknown CD to discover it is just ok

With bandcamp and other streaming platforms you can check them before-hand (this is useful) and decide if you want or not, or just buy the digital and save with the outrageous postage / custom / time etc etc etc

If this is the wrong place, I can erase the postage....

Nope, I think you're right on the money, Renato. The old way of distribution is dead dead dead because the new way is so much more convenient and inexpensive. No chance it'll ever go back.

Bandcamp has the additional benefit -- from the artist's point of view -- of allowing the artist total control over the product, from editing to mastering to packaging. These days more and more musicians are recording the music themselves (the technology to do so has also come way down) so they're by-and-large more comfortable doing mastering and mixing too. It's much more of a situation which existed prior to the 20th Century, when there was no "music industry" middleman, just musicians and the patrons who supported them.

Banned
    Also you have streaming services like Spotify which are destroying any hopes of revived media sales and paying the artists diddly squat IMO.

Interview with Guy Segers

I saw it on Facebook, but it was Michael Bohn that reminded me about it, so I decided to post it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do6WijlnNnU

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It's much more of a situation which existed prior to the 20th Century, when there was no "music industry" middleman, just musicians and the patrons who supported them.
    With the additional benefit of a potential global market.

hello all........ VERY FRESH NEWS.....
    Hello all
    Some news:
    New CD /Lp will be released by SUB ROSA will this year.
    Daniel Denis/Univers Zero
    The recordings are about to be finished.
    There are 11 tracks. Nicolas Dechęne plays on a few tracks as well as my son Nico (vocals, bass guitar and percussion). Kurt Budé plays on two tracks.
    I haven't chosen the title of the album yet.
    On the other hand, a vinyl limited to 74 copies is now available collector's version signed and numbered with a cover for the occasion. This is 1313, a French Atem pressing from 1982.
    The 74 copies of 1313 will be sold for 40 euros + the cost of sending.
    The contact to get it is: facebook: CANTAL SCHMITZ
    https://www.facebook.com/cantal.schmitz
    Thank you and Best regards
    Daniel Denis

new 1313-2023.jpg

Good news !

WOW!! Amazingly awesome news!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Oh nice!

I'll be happy with either a DD or UZ album. But if it is a DD album, I hope this has reignited his spark for UZ.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm cautiously optimistic but will probably buy it anyway. Looks like they are up on Bandcamp so hopefully I can buy it through there.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Happy ... so happy!!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    But if it is a DD album, I hope this has reignited his spark for UZ.
    Curious: what do you see as the difference?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Curious: what do you see as the difference?
    Fair question. For me UZ is darker, fuller, and more expansive in sound and scope. Has more of a band feel as well, even if DD is dictatorial in his role as leader. (Which I don't know if that's the case or not)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Fair question. For me UZ is darker, fuller, and more expansive in sound and scope. Has more of a band feel as well, even if DD is dictatorial in his role as leader. (Which I don't know if that's the case or not)
    IMO

the more expansive sound has to do with budget for recording.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Interesting. I wonder how that would have changed things on his solo recordings. Especially his debut, which to me sounds further away from UZ (if my memory is serving me well).

Like Steve said.... I don't think compositionally it will be different from UZ, live at FIMAV UZ played a few of his solo compositions, sonically, it depends on budget

Here I am sure he has low budget, so the sound will be thinner and smaller than UZ

Quote Originally Posted by remoraes View Post
    live at FIMAV UZ played a few of his solo compositions
    I was always a little suprised that in the 10 years that UZ had a second life as a live band, that they never played any of those tunes again. I thought that they worked very well as 'UZ' tunes.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 02-04-2023 at 09:43 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

At this point in time if DD doesn't have equipment to record things on his own and needs to pay for studio time to record, then that is silly.

The drums for UZ albums were so natural sounding that it would be easy to get a similar sound in a home studio.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    At this point in time if DD doesn't have equipment to record things on his own and needs to pay for studio time to record, then that is silly.
    You haven't been paying attention to anything that I've said, have you?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I was always a little suprised that in the 10 years that UZ had a second life as a live band, that they never played any of those tunes again. I thought that they worked very well as 'UZ' tunes.
    They played "Elektronika Mambo Musette" a lot in the first couple of years, I seem to remember.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    They played "Elektro Mambo Musette" (sp?) a lot in the first couple of years, I seem to remember.
    You're right and I had forgotten that that was a solo work originally!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

You haven't been paying attention to anything that I've said, have you?
    I always do! 😄
    Nothing is DD's fault correct?