Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero

He is recording at Didier De Roos studio

They are very good friends and I am not sure what is the setting ($$) they have, but even with a low budget, the sound will be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    The drums for UZ albums were so natural sounding that it would be easy to get a similar sound in a home studio.
    Really ? heh heh

DD is my favorite drummer and Didier De Roos is a master of recording - DD's exquisite sound is a work of art
    The sounds DeRoos got in in his studio are a wet dream ( at least for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Really ? heh heh

DD is my favorite drummer and Didier De Roos is a master of recording - DD's exquisite sound is a work of art
    Yes, but they are not over produced and given enough attention, they could be recorded fairly easily and wouldn't need a ton of equipment to get a great sound.

Yes, but they are not over produced and given enough attention, they could be recorded fairly easily and wouldn't need a ton of equipment to get a great sound.
    It seems to me that drums are the most difficult instrument to record properly in a home studio.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    It seems to me that drums are the most difficult instrument to record properly in a home studio.
    Absolutely they are! Honestly they're a pain in the ass.
    I record my drums to 1 stereo track so I have to have everything perfect in the mix before I push record.
    When I started recording them like that it was out of necessity but now it's out of stubbornness and reluctant to have multiple tracks of drums.

My main point is that the style of music that they play does not need highly produced Drums

My main point is that the style of music that they play does not need highly produced Drums
    I think that well defined and well recorded drums that are clearly and cleanly audible even though there is a lot of other musical information going on at the same time is one of the highlights in general of what makes UZ UZ.

And I think you are over-selling the ability to do this easily at home.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I think that well defined and well recorded drums that are clearly and cleanly audible even though there is a lot of other musical information going on at the same time is one of the highlights in general of what makes UZ UZ.

And I think you are over-selling the ability to do this easily at home.....
    I'm just stating that it can be done.
    And that budget is only a factor of it.
    I could record in a great studio, have a mic and track for every drum, and it could still turn out sounding like shit if the time and care are not taken.
    Or you can do it old school with very few drum tracks and make it sound awesome.

A lit of it comes down to the skill and care while recording.

But this is just my opinion and others will disagree.

Simon Phillips and Morgan Agren were going on about this in the documentary by Carl King on Morgan. His home vs. Simon's super studio setup.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    Simon Phillips and Morgan Agren were going on about this in the documentary by Carl King on Morgan. His home vs. Simon's super studio setup.
    I would live to see that. What is it called and where is it streaming?

I could record in a great studio, have a mic and track for every drum, and it could still turn out sounding like shit if the time and care are not taken.
    Udi's method of having one perfect stereo drum track is very smart. Once you start multi-miking everything you get into phasing issues and cancellations and it can take FOREVER to get back to a pure 3-dimensional stereo drum track sound. Not to mention, the more tracks of drums you have the more opportunity you make for bleed-through, which limits your options in mix-down.

Udi's recordings are generally among the best I've ever heard. Listen to the man.

Banned
    There are great jazz recordings from the 60s and even 50s where the drums sound very present and detailed, so I would never underestimate the power of a good engineer with a few top-drawer microphones vs. a "modern" set up with a bazillion mics going through a devoted mixer, a bunch of DSP and into a DAW to be processed and jiggled until the cows come home. Regardless, there are many paths to achieving great results if the fundamentals are in place (i.e. the right mics and placement, garbage in-garbage out and all that). Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Rudy Van Gelder and Alfred Lion were masters of the minimalist school of drum recording.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Udi's method of having one perfect stereo drum track is very smart. Once you start multi-miking everything you get into phasing issues and cancellations and it can take FOREVER to get back to a pure 3-dimensional stereo drum track sound. Not to mention, the more tracks of drums you have the more opportunity you make for bleed-through, which limits your options in mix-down.

Udi's recordings are generally among the best I've ever heard. Listen to the man.
    That's how I record drums. Mixed down to one stereo track.

Can you post where Udi talks about how he records drums?
    I would like to know tips

The drums on Ceux has a very 'special' sound which is a part of the 'artwork' of the music.
    I am not I would call it natural. And I wouldn't be able to judge whether they ar well recorded or not.

A bit the same with Cutlers drums on Aksak Mabouls Bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The drums on Ceux has a very 'special' sound which is a part of the 'artwork' of the music.
    I am not I would call it natural. And I wouldn't be able to judge whether they ar well recorded or not.

A bit the same with Cutlers drums on Aksak Mabouls Bandits.
    They are fantastic drums on Ceux.
    What I am thinking of overproduced is A LOT of the metal bands or prog metal.
    Where the drums sound like everything is triggered.

The biggest negative in modern drum recording for me, is when the bass drum is louder than everything else

Really ? heh heh

Udi, Carl said that you record drums to a single stereo track, is that correct?
    That is how I record my drums, but I assume it's a very different setup.
    Did you explain your process where I can read or watch it?

The biggest negative in modern drum recording for me, is when the bass drum is louder than everything else
    I agree - this can spoil the whole thing.

Oops, I might be putting words in Udi's mouth. Sorry! He didn't say that, you (The Czar) did. But I wouldn't be surprised if he does too, it sounds like it to me. For whatever that's worth.

You can read a good interview with him here.
    Another one here.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-08-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Udi's method of having one perfect stereo drum track is very smart.
    He was describing his own. method not mine.
    I am never happy with my own drum recording
    I can talk about drum sounds and drum recordings forever heh heh so many insights
    its a serious rabbit hole
    Mt favorite drum sounds are Danile Denis's ( on laterday UZ albums) and Zappa's Jow Garage ( incredible )

I would live to see that. What is it called and where is it streaming?
    https://carlkingdom.com/morganmovie

Its great!
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Udi's method of having one perfect stereo drum track is very smart.
    I can talk about drum sounds and drum recordings forever heh heh so many insights
    Mt favorite drum sounds are Danile Denis's ( on laterday UZ albums) and Zappa's Jow Garage ( incredible )

Haha. Turns out he was describing my way of recording drums. I have my drums all closed mic'd and record to stereo track (which allows punches if necessary) and then I can EQ and whatever else. But I don't use plug ins at all.

Techniques for recording drums are as varied as the engineers, everyone has their own favorite tricks. I've not done enough of it to offer any insights, but just enough to realize the complexity.

Favorite drum recordings:
    • Curt Cress (Scala Studio, Munich 1975)
    • Michael Giles (The Cottage Studio, Dorset, 1978)
    • Stix Hooper (Wally Heider Studio, 1972)
    • Art Taylor (CBS Studios, Paris, 1964)
    • Joe Morello (Columbia Studios, NYC, 1959)

I just recieved the anniversary vinyl issue of 1313.
    The sound is very good!