Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero

Lueur.jpg

Probably to be released in october.

The record is based in re-working some themes from Univers Zéro and Daniel's solo records
    It is not re-recordings, but reworking some ideas in new formats

Some pieces, I think, it is just Daniel on electronics

Some are Daniel and his son

In a few, we have the 4 guys

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^

Well.

In 2023 / 2024, I would never have guessed that there would be a new Present and a new Univers Zero album released within six months of each other.

Life is filled with surprises.

you know, those are the mysteries that make Universe something interesting!

I'm always game for a new UZ or Present in any form. Rad.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

I'll get both, but it's more out of curiosity and having all the other cds, rather than hoping they will be worthy additions to their discographies.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm the same though I'm rather more hopeful for the Present than the UZ.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

I can't imagine why anyone would doubt that the UZ would be "worthy"; I've certainly never been disappointed by anything from either UZ or Denis solo.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone would doubt that the UZ would be "worthy"; I've certainly never been disappointed by anything from either UZ or Denis solo.
    I really like everything through Heatwave, but after that it's kinda hit and miss for me. I like bits and pieces, but no whole album was ever as exciting as the first five albums.
    ....IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I really like everything through Heatwave, but after that it's kinda hit and miss for me. I like bits and pieces, but no whole album was ever as exciting as the first five albums.
    ....IMO.
    Last two UZ albums were really good I think.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I'll get both, but it's more out of curiosity and having all the other cds, rather than hoping they will be worthy additions to their discographies.
    I'll be in for both myself, and I haven't got any fears of them not being "worthy".

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've certainly never been disappointed by anything from either UZ or Denis solo.
    Well his solo albums are not as "worthy" (essential) to my eardrums (that's why I have neither), but they're sill OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Last two UZ albums were really good I think.
    AFAIAC, the last essential UZ is Implosion - even if it is relatively different from the rest of their discography.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

AFAIAC, the last essential UZ is Implosion - even if it is relatively different from the rest of their discography.
    For me both Clivages and Phosphorescent Dreams are easily superior to Implosion which I find pretty average.
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 08-09-2023 at 06:38 AM.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

For me both Clivages and Phosphorescent Dreams are both easily superior to Implosion which I find pretty average.
    Implosion is probably my least favorite but still quite decent. I expect to like the new one as well

Clivages was a step up for me versus those from Hard Quest onwards. Nothing touches 1313 to Heatwave.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Clivages had Andy Kirk contributions, so it got a bit more love from me
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Clivages is their best after Heatwave IMO. Really strong album with solid compositions and arrangements, with enough variety. I enjoy all their albums anyway.

For me both Clivages and Phosphorescent Dreams are easily superior to Implosion which I find pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Implosion is probably my least favorite but still quite decent. I expect to like the new one as well
    Did you guys see Implosion on stage with the especially-made videos in the background?

It brought the whole thing a step up. I've always wished DD re-issues the album with a DVD bonus for the vidéo contents.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ ^ ^

Implosion is definitely my favorite of the three 'non-live band' albums (Hard Quest, Rhythmix, Implosion). None of those line ups played out and those albums were studio creations only.

Shortly after Implosion was released, DD put together a live band, which is represented on 'Live'. Further variations of said live band are also on Clivages and Phosphorescent Dreams.

I'm pretty fond of the run of four from Implosion to Phosphorescent; maybe they aren't as great as their initial run up to Heatwave, but they're all pretty great.

IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Did you guys see Implosion on stage with the especially-made videos in the background?

It brought the whole thing a step up. I've always wished DD re-issues the album with a DVD bonus for the vidéo contents.
    Nope. Unfortunately I have never seen Univers Zero live.

Some are better than others but, did UZ ever make a bad album - and comparing to what?

Depends on my mood on the day which ones I prefer.

The three 'non-live band' albums are probably those I listen to most frequently, but Ceux to Heatwave are 'better' because they are more groundbreaking and engaging.
    Many loves the first two more. Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Some are better than others but, did UZ ever make a bad album - and comparing to what?
    I don't think there has ever been a bad album, just various degrees of enjoyment for me. I compare UZ albums to other UZ albums. They set the bar pretty high right out of the gate, so it is hard to capture that energy and creativity with such a big break in between. And it was really (I assume) the contributions of a lot of those awesome players (beside DD) on the albums through Heatwave that brought that. It certainly was their playing that appealed to me. No matter how in control DD is of UZ, he needed people who could play to that level to pull it off. A good example is his solo albums, while good, nowhere near as adventurous.

This is all just my opinion and I do like all the albums, I just hope the new one is something I want to have repeat listens to.

I've said it before, but I am still really thankful that there was a label like Cuneiform to bring this band to light, because I feel they would have been forgotten and not had nearly the run they have had without Cuneiform behind them.

One thing this thread has done is made me want to listen to the whole discography in reverse order and give all these later albums a new listen.

I've said it before, but I am still really thankful that there was a label like Cuneiform to bring this band to light, because I feel they would have been forgotten and not had nearly the run they have had without Cuneiform behind them.
    Thanks! I think you're absolutely correct and someone should have been a bit more ... grateful, perhaps.

One thing this thread has done is made me want to listen to the whole discography in reverse order and give all these later albums a new listen.
    As I said above, I bet you will find the last four better than you may have thought!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Clivages is their best after Heatwave IMO. Really strong album with solid compositions and arrangements, with enough variety. I enjoy all their albums anyway.
    Yeah same. I would say Clivages could stand near their opening salvo without issue.

And I would also agree that they never made a bad album. I never really warmed to PD but even then I wouldn't rank it a pass.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I agree with most that they haven't made a bad album, I'd actually argue they haven't made an average album, everything is good to great to superb.

Clivages stands out amongst the later albums. I think John accurately identifies Andy Kirk as an important factor.

I would probably have more love for Phosphorescent Dream if Michel Berckmans bassoon and oboe hadn't been removed Martin Lauwers violin hadn't been replaced with electric guitar.
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Thanks! I think you're absolutely correct and someone should have been a bit more ... grateful, perhaps.

As I said above, I bet you will find the last four better than you may have thought!
    Yes, biting the hand and such.

So far listening to Phosphorescent Dream and liking it a lot more, but knowing that Muchael and Martin were replaced makes me wish we could hear that version instead!

Of the run of four I mentioned, Phosphorescent Dream is, for me, the weakest of them, but (1) it’s still very high quality (and the show I saw at RIO of it was very strong as well), and (2) I didn’t want to leave it out and be perceived as being sour grapes about it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com