Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Univers Zero

Speaking of Implosion, I like it quite a bit. After Heresie and 1313, it was the next UZ album that I bought after discovering them sometime in the early 2000s. And since I bought it when it came out in 2004 (also seeing them at NEARfest that year and buying the cool shirt!) and saw them perform some material from it at FMPM in 2008, it holds a special place for me. There is some powerful material on there, Meandres being a standout for me, and the live band did it justice.

Time to revisit both that and Clivages.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    …. but knowing that Michel and Martin were replaced makes me wish we could hear that version instead!
    And Pierre!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    And Pierre!
    So many names, I forgot what he did? Was there someone else removed from it too?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So many names, I forgot what he did? Was there someone else removed from it too?
    Pierre is the keyboardist from Present & Aranis, he played keys on Clivages. Lovely guy.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I wasn't aware people were removed from PD. That's a shame.

That said, I don't mind the violin for electric guitar (personal preference for instrument), but having bassoon/oboe and removing it should be a felony.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I am doing a reverse discography listening and even though it was released in 2009, I'm putting Relaps before Heatwave since it is live from 84-86.
    So far this is really great to dig into these later albums and build excitement for the new release... and the new Present cd in early 2024!

There is no really bad UZ album, but what makes difference among 1313 until Heatwave and Clivages is .... they were recorded by a living band (well, Heatwave, it was kind of living band) and the result is perceived in the record

The compositions of the other records when were done live.... they were shining a lot

Cuneiform was very important in those years when the band was there, live or not, but decided to go into the studio. Now everything is harder.

Will UZ resurface?

I have no idea

Relistened to both Rhythmix and PD yesterday, as I consider these my two least favorite albums. PD in particular clicked more this time. It's still a bit samey throughout and never really hits the gas pedal all the way, but does tap into that classic UZ atmosphere and the long songs in particular are very much modern day UZ in feel (less so in tone). I can't imagine replacing the guitar with violin as I feel the guitar gives it quite a bit of gravitas and drive. Some bassoon obviously would make it better as bassoon makes everything better, but I guess I don't particular miss it. That said, I would definitely be interested to hear the original version. I would raise my score of it to 3.75 (from 3.25).

As for Rhythmix...a bit better than I remember as well, although the synth instruments are a bit of a letdown. More variety than PD but also less peaks. I would probably leave my rating of it as 3.5 and will probably not wait like 7 years to listen to it again.

I should try and find Impolsion and Live, as those two are near the bottom of my list (although I enjoy both of course) as its probably been equally as long since I've listened to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

I should try and find Impolsion and Live, as those two are near the bottom of my list (although I enjoy both of course) as its probably been equally as long since I've listened to them.
    Live is magnificent!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Live is magnificent!
    In terms of live albums, I would use magnificent for Relaps. I remember Live being solid but not spectacular, but as I said it's been ages since I listened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    bassoon makes everything better
    Truth.

I should try and find Impolsion and Live, as those two are near the bottom of my list
    Implosion is aptly named. It blew out my speakers.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

He and they weren’t removed from the recording.

They were removed from the band and then, some time (years?) later, the new, 5-piece band did the recording.

Clivages was recorded in 2009 and released at the very beginning of 2010.

I am reasonably certain that the lineup changed in 2011. I saw the six piece band in DC in September, 2010 as part of Sonic Circuits, and while the six piece may have made it into 2011 and played some shows in 2011, there weren’t many.

There is no ‘original version’ of PD that had the bassoon/violin band.

And I believe that the PD band only played a couple of shows, Freakshow and RIO (RIO was 2013 and I saw it). Renato knows the live and timeline minutiae better than I do and he is welcome to correct me.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 08-13-2023 at 10:24 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Yes I was extremely happy to see that line up in 2010 at Sonic Circuits.

They played at RIO in 2011 as part of Once Upon A Time In Belgium with Present and Aranis with a line up of Denis, Chevalier, Bude, Berckmans, Evers, Lauwers.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

He and they weren’t removed from the recording.

They were removed from the band and then, some time (years?) later, the new, 5-piece band did the recording.

Clivages was recorded in 2009 and released at the very beginning of 2010.

I am reasonably certain that the lineup changed in 2011. I saw the six piece band in DC in September, 2010 as part of Sonic Circuits, and while the six piece may have made it into 2011 and played some shows in 2011, there weren’t many.

There is no ‘original version’ of PD that had the bassoon/violin band.

And I believe that the PD band only played a couple of shows, Freakshow and RIO (RIO was 2013 and I saw it). Renato knows the live and timeline minutiae better than I do and he is welcome to correct me.
    well that makes more sense/me feel better. lol

I am reasonably certain that the lineup changed in 2011.
    September 2012 is my recollection. There was a 2nd Once Upon a Time in Belgium gig at Bourgoin-Jallieu (where the final RIO fest would take place in 2019) in early 2012. I think the last gig that line-up played was in early September at the Colmar jazz festival, and the news that Pierre, Martin and Michel had been "let go" came not long after RIO 2012 (where UZ did *not* perform). So it didn't take long for the next line-up to come together as they did perform at RIO the following year, then released their album in 2014. There were various stories of gigs being planned then not happening, like a special 40-year anniversary gig headlining the Prog-Résiste festival in Belgium and a return to Japan, both cancelled due to disagreement on the fee. It all quickly petered out after this. They played Zappanale, iirc, but not much else.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    They played Zappanale, iirc, but not much else.
    I said Freakshow, but you are correct it was Zappanale. Zappanale and RIO. I think that was all.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I think the last gig that line-up played was in early September at the Colmar jazz festival,
    September 15, 2012. You are correct that the six piece lasted until September, 2012.

and at the Colmar show, they played (debuted?) 'Ronde' and played the hell out of it, I thought.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Doing a search for "Univers Zero tribute band" revealed nothing. If there was one, it would be great to have oboe, bassoon, and clarinets in the band.
    Dan Maske

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Maske View Post
    Doing a search for "Univers Zero tribute band" revealed nothing.
    truly a lost opportunity!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

They could play all the hits! Dress up in costume just like the band!
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

We need to contact Tatsuya Yoshida. He’d at least be willing to do a greatest hits medley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    We need to contact Tatsuya Yoshida. He’d at least be willing to do a greatest hits medley.
    In about three and a half minutes.
    Ian

I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    In about three and a half minutes.
    5:47

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    They could play all the hits! Dress up in costume just like the band!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com