Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Rock...Prog or Not...

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Thanx for the info,
    I wasn't aware there was a live recording, will check out.
    SPEED, GLUE & SHINKI/MAAHNGAMYAUH ... if you are still interested.

Just got it yesterday. Listening to it for the 2nd time. Overall happy to have it. The recording is of a bootleg quality, but decent enough for listening pleasure. Only 4 tracks in there clocking at 38:49, so there is quite a bit of improvisations / soloing going on. I believe two of the tracks have not been released yet, so this is added bonus,. One of these is titled WALL ST JAM, so I suppose it is one of a kind live recording.

You can listen to the sampling of and get more info on the album at You Tube or Disk Union website. The latter one, other than being a website store, seems also to be a co-label (credited there with the main label Super Fuji Discs) for this release. If you use Chrome it will easily translate the texts there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuRfrf6BLLs
    https://diskunion.net/progre/ct/detail/1008337663

Anyway, it looks like CDJapan is still the best / cheapest place to get it, especially if you order some more albums. Expensive as it is, the DHL shipping is really amazingly fast these days ... got it in three days from Japan after receiving the e-mail of shipment
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    SPEED, GLUE & SHINKI/MAAHNGAMYAUH ... if you are still interested.

Just got it yesterday. Listening to it for the 2nd time. Overall happy to have it. The recording is of a bootleg quality, but decent enough for listening pleasure. Only 4 tracks in there clocking at 38:49, so there is quite a bit of improvisations / soloing going on. I believe two of the tracks have not been released yet, so this is added bonus,. One of these is titled WALL ST JAM, so I suppose it is one of a kind live recording.

You can listen to the sampling of and get more info on the album at You Tube or Disk Union website. The latter one, other than being a website store, seems also to be a co-label (credited there with the main label Super Fuji Discs) for this release. If you use Chrome it will easily translate the texts there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuRfrf6BLLs
    https://diskunion.net/progre/ct/detail/1008337663

Anyway, it looks like CDJapan is still the best / cheapest place to get it, especially if you order some more albums. Expensive as it is, the DHL shipping is really amazingly fast these days ... got it in three days from Japan after receiving the e-mail of shipment
    Thanx for the up-date,
    I ordered quite often from Japanese sellers mainly vinyl, the state of the records even VG+ is often more conservatively graded compared to other countries. I had bought VG records that were like NM without any surface noise, but at loser prices often without the Obi strip, but I don't care really about Obi strips. Unfortunately since fall last year the taxes you have to pay if you order in the EU from Non EU countries is quite High . I am looking forward to go Shopping again one day in Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Hope you find it. That's a lot of mula to have thrown it away...
    Yeah, got my replacement and listening to Kumorigahara as I am writing. Really like the album so far, especially the instrumental portions. A vocal is a bit over simplistic / sweet but I guess it is a personal preference.

Btw, if you haven't found it and care for English translation of the track titles, you can find this info on their home page (link below). Not sure if it was there before or if it is in response to my comment left there, but now there is an English version (top right menu) of this information. Already made a printed insert with this info and included with the original and my CD-R copy. Great to have at least this

https://kumorigahara-net.translate.g...n&_x_tr_pto=sc

Some videos of Kumorigahara:

^ I'm still waiting for Ken to stock it. I keep checking.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I'm still waiting for Ken to stock it. I keep checking.
    Definitively worth having, even getting used to the vocal after repeated listening. Mellotron sounds in few places also make it very special, with Anglagard popping to mind.
    Seems Ken already had it a while ago and at good price too. He blocked my account so he is pretty much history for me. You may want to check with others though, Wayside or Syn-Phonic.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Definitively worth having, even getting used to the vocal after repeated listening. Mellotron sounds in few places also make it very special, with Anglagard popping to mind.
    Seems Ken already had it a while ago and at good price too. He blocked my account so he is pretty much history for me. You may want to check with others though, Wayside or Syn-Phonic.
    Good luck.
    Like Kumorigahara more every time I listen to it, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Thanx for the up-date,
    I ordered quite often from Japanese sellers mainly vinyl, the state of the records even VG+ is often more conservatively graded compared to other countries. I had bought VG records that were like NM without any surface noise, but at loser prices often without the Obi strip, but I don't care really about Obi strips. Unfortunately since fall last year the taxes you have to pay if you order in the EU from Non EU countries is quite High . I am looking forward to go Shopping again one day in Tokyo.
    No kidding!!!

I bought the Swiss band Circus' boxset (incl Obi strips) recently released by Belle Antique, and if the price wasn't cheap (something like 135.00€ for four albums - there is space for the Blue Motion album inside the box, BTW), and the whole came to about 200.00€ including shipping and customs punitive import taxes.

No doubt I won't repeat that kind of stunt very often.

But going to shop over there won't change much, IMHO. Customs will search if you bring anything back in your luggage worthy of declaring that you might have forgotten to signal.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

For any Americans looking for the latest Kumorigahara CD, Greg Walker has it in stock. I've got one heading my way...

This album was discussed before in this thread: Akira Inoue's Tokyo Installation, featuring Bill Bruford. As the Discogs-entry shows this is a real collectors item.
    But CDJapan noticed me there will be a new edition by the end of March: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MHCL-30712

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    This album was discussed before in this thread: Akira Inoue's Tokyo Installation, featuring Bill Bruford. As the Discogs-entry shows this is a real collectors item.
    But CDJapan noticed me there will be a new edition by the end of March: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MHCL-30712
    Oh, yeah!

Has Sadistic Mika Band been posted here yet? This is truly awesome shit. So tight and funky.

May have posted this one before Project Nayuta (ex Providence!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I still need to hear the album she did with Mani Neumeier.

^ That Project Nayuta sounds quite good to me. I may have to order it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Has Sadistic Mika Band been posted here yet? This is truly awesome shit. So tight and funky.
    I had their albums for years but never really realized they were something of a supergroup. Kazuhiko Kato had already been in a successful band back in the 60s (The Folk Crusaders) and had a few #1 hits under his belt (some written for other artists, like his tune for American folk singing duo Betsy & Chris). Masayoshi Takanaka had been a member of Flied Egg. I think some of the other members came from the short-lived folk-rock group Takechiyo. Of course, all members had their fingers in other pies later, especially later bassist Tsugutoshi Goto, who was a very prominent and prolific composer, producer and arranger.

EDIT: And original bassist Ray Ohara was in Bonnie Raitt’s band for a while. She paid it forward by guesting on his solo album, Picaresque.
    Last edited by Progbear; 06-25-2022 at 06:52 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Some guys from Asturias, Stella Lee Jones and Shingetsu Project

^^ Thanks for sharing, although I don't really like what I hear. More information from the Disc Union-site:

Product details
    New ● Moon project, Asturias, Stella Lee Jones, and other gorgeous musicians representing Japan's progressive rock unit “DDR” violin squeaks and
    Mellotron descends!
    A one-of-a-kind rock fantasy created by gathering together!

[DDR]
    Watanabe Kazuhiro / Vocal (singer songwriter)
    Hitomi Iriyama / Violin, Chorus (STELLA LEE JONES)
    Akira Hanamoto / Mellotron, Keyboards (New Moon Project)
    Oyama Sun / Bass (ASTURIAS)
    MILKY / Guitar, Chorus (MILKY SWEET)
    Isoe Toshimichi / Piano, Keyboards (ZIZZ Studio)
    Kyogoku Teruo / Drums, Chorus (ex.De-LAX, FAB'S)

[About DDR] DDR Album Production Committee Akira Hanamoto (2022.4)
    This unit was formed in 2019 by Kyo-chan (Kyogoku Teruo: Drums / ex.De-LA. Based on his idea of ​​"I want to do rhythm-based adult progressive rock," musicians who are active in the world of progressive rock, hard rock, jazz, and glam rock have come together. Initially, we planned to perform only once, but the gorgeous chemical reaction at that live stimulated each other, and we all decided to make an album as a record. This CD was completed.

To introduce the participating members, Hitomi Iriyama (Violin / STELLA LEE JONES), MILKY (Guitar / MILKY SWEET), Kazuhiro Watanabe (Vocal), Yo Oyama (Bass / ASTURIAS), Toshimichi Isoe (Piano) , Keyboards / ZIZZ Studio), and Kyo-chan and I, Akira Hanamoto (Mellotron, Keyboards / New Moon Project). Two things were agreed upon in making this album. Everyone brings the song. And it is to make it a loose suite format to make a unity as one album. Nabe-chan (Kazuhiro Watanabe) took over most of the story-making that goes through the entire album, and the lyrics were all in English, taking advantage of growing up overseas.

The sound is very individual because each person's individuality is reflected as it is. I am satisfied that it has become one of the most common "rare dishes". We hope you all enjoy this anachronistic non-commercial "Progressive Hard Rock Suite".

By the way, this album will be released under the unit name instead of the solo name of Teruo Kyogoku. The name was named DDR by Kyo-chan. What does that mean? I don't think it's "Dondoco Rock".
    Detailed information on benefits
    Maker benefits "CD-R with songs not included in the album" "CD-R
    with songs not included in the album" will be given on a first-come, first-served basis by pre-ordering / purchasing "DDR / Seven Seeds"!

Song list
    01. Rat Race Ruby City Rat Race (Song: MILKY / Watanabe Kazuhiro)
    02. Dawn Night Gulls out of the Cage (Song: Hitomi Iriyama)
    03. Tambourine and Dandelion (Song: Akira Hanamoto)
    04. Two people's rain Rain Falling (song: Akira Hanamoto)
    05. From blank (song: Watanabe Kazuhiro)
    06. Bamboo Rhyme (Song: Teruo Kyogoku)
    07. Nami Shun Darkfire (Song: Toshimichi Isoe)
    08. God speed (song: Yo Oyama)
    09. I got on a golden boat My Golden Ship (song: MILKY)
    10. Voyage to Tomorrow The Voyager (Song: Teruo Kyogoku)
    11. Seagull Rock Tale of the Fool (Song: Hitomi Iriyama)

Why did nobody tell me they have a 4th album out!!!

The young trio called Asterism has a new album in September, titled Animetic. Their sound continues to mature, and they're no longer just another instrumental shred band. More influences happily creep in, and now they're arranging popular anime themes, like this one, "Tokyo Ghoul"!

Guitarist Haruka Noma (aka HAL-CA) is all of 19, while bassist Miyu Yoshinaka is 20 and drummer Mio Yoshinaka is 22.

Yeahh

^^Thanks.

From CDJapan:

35 years after their debut album "Tri Logic" released in 1987, and after the release of their self-recorded cover album "Journey to Babel" in 2008, the current members of the band, led by former Aqua Police drummer Ichiro Takezako, have joined forces with Prism's Cher Watanabe on keys, Hirofumi Mitoma of Mongolian on guitar, and Yoshiyuki Sakurai of HAL/Shingetsu on bass. The four members of NOA, a treasure of the progressive jazz-rock world, are led by Ichiro Takezako, former drummer of Aquapolis, Chel Watanabe (Key) of Prism, Hirofumi Mitoma (Guitar) of Mongolia, and Yoshiyuki Sakurai (Bass), who played in HAL/Shingetsu.

Kumorigahara seems to have a four song 7" vinyl out. Anybody has it and can comment? https://www.discogs.com/artist/4887288-Kumorigahara