Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Rock...Prog or Not...

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    It doesn't feel like the whole 'prog' movement really hit Japan - I have heard of some groups that didn't quite get off the ground, but for the most part the Japanese music scene in the 70's and 80's was filled with a lot of New Wave, technopop, or more traditional styles. Then in the 90's you had a whole explosion of groups that were influenced big by Yes and King Crimson, most of them involving Tatsuya Yoshida in some way, and a lot of froggy hybrid stuff like Happy Family. But as far as I can see not a whole lot of that existed in the 70's. Sound about right?
    Not really true at all except progressive hard rock was perhaps a bit more influential on the progressive scene in 70s Japan. Stuff like Yes and Genesis didn't appear to have as much impact as Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Pink Floyd was also a huge influence on the scene. I'll list some stuff below that is all over the map and should keep you busy for a while. This is mostly prog or heavy prog but some progressive hard rock and I'll shy away from "fusion." Quite a few of these groups were influenced by King Crimson but not so much Yes, Genesis or ELP. But then some of these groups were really wild. Flied Egg, for example, have everything from Led Zeppelin with Heep vocals to syrupy pop to utterly mind bending Nice/ELP inspired compositions. Guitarist/Organist Shigeru Narumo was quite literally like a kind of Jimmy Page meets Keith Emerson. Too bad he also got caught up in recording at least one of the cheesiest "love" singles imaginable. Anyway ...

All 70s stuff:

Carmen Maki & Oz
    Flower Travellin' Band
    Far Out/Far East Family Band
    Chronicle
    Yonin Bayashi
    Cosmos Factory
    Strawberry Path/Flied Egg
    Kenji
    Magical Power Mako
    Blues Creation
    Tenjo Sajiki/J.A. Caezar
    Samurai
    Food Brain
    Hiro Yanagida
    Hideki Ishima
    Love Live Life + One
    Speed Glue And Shinki
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 07-22-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Not really true at all except progressive hard rock was perhaps a bit more influential on the progressive scene in 70s Japan. Stuff like Yes and Genesis didn't appear to have as much impact as Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Pink Floyd was also a huge influence on the scene. I'll list some stuff below that is all over the map and should keep you busy for a while. This is mostly prog or heavy prog but some progressive hard rock and I'll shy away from "fusion." Quite a few of these groups were influenced by King Crimson but not so much Yes, Genesis or ELP. But then some of these groups were really wild. Flied Egg, for example, have everything from Led Zeppelin with Heep vocals to syrupy pop to utterly mind bending Nice/ELP inspired compositions. Guitarist/Organist Shigeru Narumo was quite literally like a kind of Jimmy Page meets Keith Emerson. Too bad he also got caught up in recording at least one of the cheesiest "love" singles imaginable. Anyway ...

All 70s stuff:

Carmen Maki & Oz
    Flower Travellin' Band
    Far Out/Far East Family Band
    Chronicle
    Yonin Bayashi
    Cosmos Factory
    Strawberry Path/Flied Egg
    Kenji
    Magical Power Mako
    Blues Creation
    Tenjo Sajiki/J.A. Caezar
    Samurai
    Food Brain
    Hiro Yanagida
    Hideki Ishima
    Love Live Life + One
    Speed Glue And Shinki
    But almost any of those don't sing in japan.

The Mops - Kienai Omoi

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    But almost any of those don't sing in japan.
    I missed where this was a stipulation for the artists mention in this thread.

But your statement is, nevertheless, largely inaccurate. Most of the artists I mentioned which feature singing do feature it most typically in Japanese. Carmen Maki & Oz, Yonin Bayashi, Cosmos Factory, FEFB, J.A. Caezar ...

I missed where this was a stipulation for the artists mention in this thread.

But your statement is, nevertheless, largely inaccurate. Most of the artists I mentioned which feature singing do feature it most typically in Japanese. Carmen Maki & Oz, Yonin Bayashi, Cosmos Factory, FEFB, J.A. Caezar ...
    There was none of stipulation.Are Cosmos Factory and FEFB singing in japanese? Sounds english to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    Are Cosmos Factory and FEFB singing in japanese? Sounds english to me.
    FEFB sang in English a lot, but in Japanese quite a bit also.

As regards CF, I'd listen again.

haven't heard of any of those bands. guess I have a lot of listening to do.

I mention that because the only real 'scene' I've heard of in Japan are the YMO-oriented YEN records acts; I hadn't heard any bands with a real prog influence there until the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Hello Spacefreak, glad to see that Niwa sold at least two Cd's, that is such an awesome album, can you recommend anything else like it?
    Not exactly like it but with similarities in the trippiness...

ANDROMELOS
    ARITOMO
    GREEN MILK FROM THE PLANET ORANGE
    HANADENSHA
    JUPPALA KAAPIO
    MAMMAL MACHINE
    MARBLE SHEEP
    SPIRACLE
    SUISHOU NO FUNE
    TETRAGRAMMATON
    TOHO SARA
    TSURUBAMI
    VAVA KITORA
    VASILISK (they are still going after all these years)
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

By the way, it's not surprising that many of these artists don't sing in Japanese - Japan is a small country, and many of these bands were seeking international success. I remember reading somewhere that Haruomi Hosono's band Happy End was notable for being one of the first mainstream Japanese bands to actually sing in their native tongue. I have no clue if that's true or not but there certainly are a high % of Japanese acts that sing in English (or at least, attempt to!)

Just give me some

Bi Kyo Ran

and I'm happy.

By the way, it's not surprising that many of these artists don't sing in Japanese - Japan is a small country, and many of these bands were seeking international success. I remember reading somewhere that Haruomi Hosono's band Happy End was notable for being one of the first mainstream Japanese bands to actually sing in their native tongue. I have no clue if that's true or not but there certainly are a high % of Japanese acts that sing in English (or at least, attempt to!)
    Make that were. The Japanese music market has mostly been a closed one for decades now, though they do well in Asia where their songs are covered in other Asian languages, like Korean, for example. J pop includes English phrases in the lyrics, but only for the 'cool' aspect to appeal to a Japanese audience. Often, the usage is incorrect or the phrases meaningless.
    Occasionally Japanese artists/pop bands make an attempt to break into the American market — the most recent that I know of is Puffy, who were successful enough to have their own TV show in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Make that were. The Japanese music market has mostly been a closed one for decades now, though they do well in Asia where their songs are covered in other Asian languages, like Korean, for example. J pop includes English phrases in the lyrics, but only for the 'cool' aspect to appeal to a Japanese audience. Often, the usage is incorrect or the phrases meaningless.
    Occasionally Japanese artists/pop bands make an attempt to break into the American market — the most recent that I know of is Puffy, who were successful enough to have their own TV show in the States.
    Right - I haven't really kept up with much after say 1983. And a lot of the Japanese prog I know is either mostly instrumental or sung in a made-up language.

By the way, it's not surprising that many of these artists don't sing in Japanese - Japan is a small country, and many of these bands were seeking international success.
    Most of the top 70s Prog acts in Japan like Carmen Maki, Yonin Bayashi and Cosmos Factory sang in Japanese.

Most of the top 70s Prog acts in Japan like Carmen Maki, Yonin Bayashi and Cosmos Factory sang in Japanese.
    You are right !

Cosmos Factory are one of the best from Japan. There first three albums are essential. The guitar player Hisashi Mizutani is sublime and yes he sings in Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Cosmos Factory are one of the best from Japan. There first three albums are essential. The guitar player Hisashi Mizutani is sublime and yes he sings in Japanese.
    The first is realy good vintage keyboard heavy stuff, the third is amazing hard crimso prog. Still have to get "A journey with".
    I only heard one or two pieces from Metal Reflection but they did nothing to me.

Somewhat overlooked:

KINZOKUEBISU

Their follow up band Yebis (note the highly original band logo )

Baraka. Nice comment under the video from Djam Karet's Gayle Ellett.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone into Spangle Call Lilli Line?

Suspended
    Coincidental that this topic should come up, because a weekly radio programme that I generally tune in to had a recent show that featured mainly Japanese artists, some well known (eg Ryuichi Sakamoto) and others quite obscure in the West. The presenter called it "A journey into the hazey world of Neo Tokyo and Japanese Occult soundscapes. "(sic)

You can access the podcast here:
    http://rtrfm.com.au/shows/goldenappl...age=2015-01-11

Electric Asturias just released their newest album, Elementals, and it is available to download on iTunes here in the U.S. or as an import for a truckload of money.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Electric Asturias just released their newest album, Elementals, and it is available to download on iTunes here in the U.S. or as an import for a truckload of money.
    Excellent, thanks!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Cool. I'll wait for Greg, Ken or Steve to get this and order it from them.

I have Fractals and really like it. Does Electric Asturias have other albums? It's hard to distinguish the electric albums from the other ones. Anyone know more?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I have Fractals and really like it. Does Electric Asturias have other albums? It's hard to distinguish the electric albums from the other ones. Anyone know more?
    I only have Circle in the Forest and I don’t really recommend it; it’s very plastic-sounding with digital synths and computerized drums, more like a cheesy new-age album than proper prog. I guess they got better later?

I guess Brilliant Streams, Cryptogam [sic] Illusion and In Search of the Soul Trees are the other “electric” albums.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Fractals and In Search Of The Soul Trees are great. Legend of Gold Wind is also really good though I think it is an acoustic Asturias release.