Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What else do we collect?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    My oldest atlas is from 1939, which is pretty interesting, because Europe looked quite different then, or rather the borders between countries. My dad had it bound for me, so in a way it's also a memory of him, something I would never sell.
    I have a Bos' Schoolatlas der Gehele Aarde from 1904. Unfortunatelly my parents didn't look well after it so we used it as a drawing-book as kids.

I have a 1901 printing of Milton's Paradise Lost beautifully engraved by the great Gustave Dore. It's mind-blowing.

paradise-lost-1.jpg

paradise-lost-2.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Along with maps, I've always liked city views. Here's one I bought that is a wood engraving by Sebastian Munster, one of the pre-eminent engravers of the 16th Century. This is a French village. The print is my oldest one, published in the 1550s.

Final image (thanks for indulging me.)

180-470A.jpg
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I have a Bos' Schoolatlas der Gehele Aarde from 1904. Unfortunatelly my parents didn't look well after it so we used it as a drawing-book as kids.
    Wow, that's old. I think my oldest book is from 1906 on fishes. https://www.boekwinkeltjes.nl/b/1729...s-De-visschen/

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There was a period between the mid-1600s and early- to mid-1700s when people thought California was separated from the coast. Clearly, it had to be from explorers travelling along Baja California, never finishing the journey and assuming it was an island. There were actually some Japanese maps as late as the 1860s that included the same error. Here's the one I have from 1705.

Attachment 17827

Attachment 17828

I'm just referring to books printed before they were able to create halftones from photos to print. Many books reused engravings well after that.
    Notice the massive land mass in the north Pacific. I guess that's a misinterpretation of Japan. And the 3000-mile-wide blue mass in the south Pacific is New Guinea. This is also before Antarctica was discovered, so there was confusion between that and Australia.

There was a period between the mid-1600s and early- to mid-1700s when people thought California was separated from the coast. Clearly, it had to be from explorers travelling along Baja California, never finishing the journey and assuming it was an island. There were actually some Japanese maps as late as the 1860s that included the same error. Here's the one I have from 1705.

Attachment 17827

Attachment 17828

I'm just referring to books printed before they were able to create halftones from photos to print. Many books reused engravings well after that.
    First map looks like Dutch

First map looks like Dutch
    Yes, it is.

https://www.oldworldauctions.com/catalog/lot/167/11

After I broke my ankle several years ago and I amassed a collection of body fat. I am trying to divest myself of this collection.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    After I broke my ankle several years ago and I amassed a collection of body fat. I am trying to divest myself of this collection.
    At least you have an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    At least you have an excuse.
    There are reasons, and then there are excuses.

I have a 1901 printing of Milton's Paradise Lost beautifully engraved by the great Gustave Dore. It's mind-blowing.

paradise-lost-1.jpg

paradise-lost-2.jpg
    I have a copy of that, too. My dad bought it at a used book store over 70 years ago for 25¢. There is no date in it that I can find. It was printed in New York City. I has an embossed yellow cover. Anyway to determine the date?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I have a copy of that, too. My dad bought it at a used book store over 70 years ago for 25¢. There is no date in it that I can find. It was printed in New York City. I has an embossed yellow cover. Anyway to determine the date?
    I'm guessing there have been multiple printings. Mine has a red cover with gold printing on black ink, but most of gold is gone. There should be a page at the beginning with the printing date. I would think mine might be a later printing. I honestly don't know.

Besides a collection of about 600-800 CDs (single discs and box sets) I had been collecting concert tickets but that too has been outphased now that tickets are bar codes on your phone (rats!). But I have always enjoyed collecting concert programs (my favorites are the Rush ones with Neil's preface from each tour). My other favorites are the Yes programs with all the Roger Dean artwork. I had all the Trans-Siberian Orchestra programs up to 2016 but stopped (finally) when I did not have the desire for them anymore and were so redundant.

One of the oldest tickts I have is the one for the Alice Cooper Billion Dollar babies tour 1973 and my first Genesis concert in 1973 too when their name was mispelled Genisis is a gem. The really cool ones are from the 1994 FIFA World Cup, big and flashy from games I went to at Giants stadium NJ. And finally, the lanyards with backstage passes, I first started collecting them when I nabbed a few at Record shows around Houston. Got about 50 of them or more maybe but they are have more value with autographs. I have all five Deep Purple autographs on a program and even Jeff Beck's too! The crown jewel is my 1977 Works Tour program signed by Greg Lake and Keith Emerson when they did their 2010 Manticore Hall Tour.

T-shirts come and go, I mostly collected them in the 80's but now it is ludicrous paying $50-$60 for one that does not cost more than $10 to produce, absurd. I love my coin collection too ;-)

The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'm another who won't call myself a "collector." The word I use is <i>accumulator</i>. I accumulate music. But, much more, I accumulate books. I haven't tried to count them in a looooong time, but at my best estimate I have on the order of five thousand of them (and am expecting another to arrive today). There are some I treasure as objects: some first editions, some autographed goodies (a signed first edition of Stephen King's The Stand is probably the most valuable of the bunch; I have a couple of autographed Steve Hackett albums, one from a merch table and one when I met him in the street and happened to have it on me and he inscribed it to me).

But the truth is, other than those "special" items, I don't actually take very good care of them. The CDs are on shelves lining a wall where some of them get sunshine in the morning. There are probably a hundred book lying around the floor of my office because I've run out of shelf space and my Beloved Spousal Overunit won't let me have more. (I'll make it work. Some day.)

And don't get me started about DVDs...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

paradise-lost-1.jpg

paradise-lost-2.jpg
    Bluntly: Drooooool.

(Goes to ABEBooks.)

A copy of the Franklin reprint would run about $100. I don't even want to think what a first would run.

(Is sorry he went to ABEBooks.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Getting back into collecting something else that I started when I was young: Peanuts comic strip anthology books. A bunch of the old Holt, Rinehart & Winston books from the 60s that belonged to my aunt and uncle when they were kids got passed on to me when they got a little older (I was 10 when my uncle Paul graduated). This included most of the books up to and including 1964's As You Like It, Charlie Brown except for the Sunday strip collections. Most of them are pretty dog-eared today on account of me marking pages that made me laugh a lot, so they probably could stand some upgrading (I did wind up having to buy a replacement copy of We're Right Behind You, Charlie Brown on account of the front cover falling off and, eventually, getting lost).
    Recent addition to the collection:

461928467_8373157366105798_803222158918270799_n.jpg

I need to get down to the storage unit one of these days to see if I can find the box containing the rest of my collection.

paradise-lost-1.jpg

paradise-lost-2.jpg
    Mind BLOWN! All I have is a reprint of a J.S. Pughe front cover from Puck, and it certainly can't compete with that!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Mind BLOWN! All I have is a reprint of a J.S. Pughe front cover from Puck, and it certainly can't compete with that!
    Thank you. Luckily, it's not a competition. I will try to share some more photos.

Recent addition to the collection:

461928467_8373157366105798_803222158918270799_n.jpg

I need to get down to the storage unit one of these days to see if I can find the box containing the rest of my collection.
    As far as collecting US comic daily press strips, I've only gotten down to Calvin & Hobbes' early stuff, and the almost entirety of Bloom County.

I've also got a big anthology (a gift actually) of the British comics Alex (book is called The Full Alex): for those who don't know, this is an atrocious & obnoxious character gravitating around London's The City in the Tatcher/Blair era, somewhere between Bloom County's Steve Dallas and Doonesbury characters.

other than those three, my fave was Hagar The Horrible, far ahead of Garfield, Peanuts, Blondie, Beetle Bailey, Andy Capp (Handicap) and Doonesbury.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've posted about my collection of books with albumcovers before in other sections, but this time I can add a picture:

platenhoezenboekencollectie.jpg

(no idea why it's shown upside down)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by interbellum; 3 Days Ago at 02:23 PM.

I've posted about my collection of books with albumcovers before in other sections, but this time I can add a picture:

platenhoezenboekencollectie.jpg
    Is the picture upside down?

Nice collection. Didn't know there were that many books on album covers. The only ones I know is one for which Roger Dean and Hipgnosis selected album covers and a book in which the making of Hipgnosis covers is explained. A schoolmate had them. In 2018 I found a new edition of the latter book in a bookstore in Trier Germany.

Is the picture upside down?

Nice collection. Didn't know there were that many books on album covers. The only ones I know is one for which Roger Dean and Hipgnosis selected album covers and a book in which the making of Hipgnosis covers is explained. A schoolmate had them. In 2018 I found a new edition of the latter book in a bookstore in Trier Germany.
    Don't know why it's shown upside down.

There are some Roger Dean- and Hipgnosis-books on the picture

Let's see if one taken from a different angle (with less white below) works (edit: no).

platenhoezenboekencollectie2.jpg

Let's see if one taken from a different angle (with less white below) works (edit: no).

platenhoezenboekencollectie2.jpg
    No, the books still seem to work against gravity, but some titles are better to read.