Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we missing anyone - did we lose some??

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Indeed, in fact in all honesty I'd say it's pretty horrible compared to the old board - Sorry Sean, just my humble opinion!!
    Agreed.

It was so simple, direct & easy on the eyes.
    This place feels bloated & impersonal.

No offense Sean, I'll get used to it.
    Yeah, just to do what I did (quote in a quote) takes too much manipulation...

Wow, some of you act as though keeping the old board was a choice.
    Well of course it isn't a choice

I agree with this. I miss the ol' board.
    It's pretty depressibng out there nowadays.... but I keep checking it out once a day...

This is the key point, if the admins could have kept the old board they would have. Sean has admitted the new place is getting little getting used to.

Personally I think they've done a great job considering the fact that they had to change. I'm getting used to the place. I like it, still not as much as the old place, but we'll get there.
    Yeah, un-intuitive 3.0.... but kudos for Sean Coz, Duncan and whoever else did the 3.0... luv you guys, despite my bickerings

Yes. 80s constant attacking of people with an opinion is getting tiresome.
    Best ignored... like some kind of pesky skeeter... swat him away
    Last edited by Trane; 12-17-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: t I did takes quite a
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm suprised at how some diehards just can't adapt to the new board. I went through a bit of withdrawal with the old board for a couple weeks, but I stopped missing the ol' board a few weeks ago. I'm fine with the v3. I'm just amazed that some people just can't adapt. These are "progressive" music fans, who are progressive, intelligent, collidge edumacated, forward thinkers (and all kidding aside), they can't get used to using a message board. What are these guys (like Nestor) gonna do when v2 finally gets shut down? They'll either get with the program, or just move on. All because of stubborn pride.
    Seriously, I'm truly amazed at how stubborn some people are about adapting to the new board. I really don't miss the old board. The mods have done a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What are these guys (like Nestor) gonna do when v2 finally gets shut down? They'll either get with the program, or just move on. All because of stubborn pride.
    I'm also puzzled by Nestor. He's the last person I would have thought would cling to PE 2.0. Whatever. No doubt he's here lurking under a new name.

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    Well I like the new forum, kind of reminds me of the Portnoy forum. I think it uses the same type of database. Only a few minor things annoy me a bit... like the access to private threads which is a bit meandering, and the fact that I would have preferred only three forums: Main, Off Topic (music related) and Way off topic (anything goes)... all three grouped on the main welcome page, with the main forum directly viewable by default upon login.

With those two points addressed, the new forum would feel exactly like the old forum, but with all the bells and whistles of the new one. We old proggers are indeed a bit resistant to change... we could be compared to the republicans of modern music. LOL!

Robert

What I don't get is why the there is still a link/button to the Old Progressive Ears at the top. Why not remove it altogether? My guess is that at some point, before the plug is pulled completely on the old site the mods will have to give a final warning to the stubborn few (I'm imagining something like Rush's 2112, in that booming voice, attention all inhabitants of the old PE, this is your final warning ........).

I'm suprised at how some diehards just can't adapt to the new board. I went through a bit of withdrawal with the old board for a couple weeks, but I stopped missing the ol' board a few weeks ago. I'm fine with the v3. I'm just amazed that some people just can't adapt. These are "progressive" music fans, who are progressive, intelligent, collidge edumacated, forward thinkers (and all kidding aside), they can't get used to using a message board. What are these guys (like Nestor) gonna do when v2 finally gets shut down? They'll either get with the program, or just move on. All because of stubborn pride.
    Seriously, I'm truly amazed at how stubborn some people are about adapting to the new board. I really don't miss the old board. The mods have done a great job.

I doçn't think that in my case, it's a question of wanting to adapt... and pride has nothing to do with it, IMHO... cos no-one would take pride in getting stck behi,nd for being unable to adapt

I participate to five or six forums in both French or English... some of them have an antiquated platform (RYM for ex) , others are now also showing their age (ProgArchives and sister sites >> software dates from 03)... Others are modern modern (BDgest, Rock6070).... But I got the hang of those forum almost instantly, or at least I don't remember struggling as I do here (as I did with PE2.0)... Here, it doesn't come intuitively ... I appreciate a few plus (like the shortcuts, without which3.0 would be a real pain) here, though... but calling 3.0 more functional or easy-to-use would be misleading to me...

It's actually kind of puzzling how a newer version of software is less intuitive than a previos model.... a bit like Office 2010 is much less intuitive than office 2003...

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I'm also puzzled by Nestor. He's the last person I would have thought would cling to PE 2.0. Whatever. No doubt he's here lurking under a new name.
    Yeah, I can't help but thinking somehow this may be part of his generally provocative attitude... but no doubt we'd have spottezd him under a different username
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. PE 2.0, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding Nestor within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of PE 2.0, and whatever walked there, walked alone
    Last edited by Jerjo; 12-17-2012 at 10:23 AM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, just to do what I did (quote in a quote) takes too much manipulation...

Best ignored... like some kind of pesky skeeter... swat him away
    i agree best to ignore annoying posters who only post to troll...

Quote Originally Posted by roddenberry View Post
    we could be compared to the republicans of modern music. LOL!

Robert
    No need to be insulting, Robert!

It's actually kind of puzzling how a newer version of software is less intuitive than a previos model.
    Maybe your intuition needs a checkup.

When Proggers Complain: V.3

I'm suprised at how some diehards just can't adapt to the new board.
    You've seen prog fans at festivals right? Not all, but some, appear to have not adapted to many things through the years. Yet, you say...

I'm just amazed that some people just can't adapt. These are "progressive" music fans, who are progressive, intelligent, collidge edumacated, forward thinkers (and all kidding aside), they can't get used to using a message board.
    Yeah, many live with music that is considered ancient and still want it to be as such. Many do not adapt to new music. Some can't adapt here.

What are these guys (like Nestor) gonna do when v2 finally gets shut down? They'll either get with the program, or just move on. All because of stubborn pride.
    Seriously, I'm truly amazed at how stubborn some people are about adapting to the new board.
    Anyone can adapt to the new board. I think some just want to complain. If these prog fans are so well educated, they sure don't show it with the way they complain about this new board. I know it is just a few, but there is more fun in using a blanket statement here.

He comes off as a sniveling baby on the other board regarding this new board. I chalk that up to the character he portrays on PE.

It's actually kind of puzzling how a newer version of software is less intuitive than a previos model....
    I am amazed that you are on other boards and this one seems to give you a certain amount of trouble. That is puzzling and odd.

If I can adapt with the IT knowledge of a rabid ferret, then anyone can.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Good on ya, Geezer!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If I can adapt with the IT knowledge of a rabid ferret, then anyone can.

What I don't get is why the there is still a link/button to the Old Progressive Ears at the top. Why not remove it altogether?
    A few reasons:

1). There are still a few long-running PM threads (though they will die out soon).

2). We promised a run-out of a few months - and plan to stick to that promise. (I think we'll be closing it down for new posts within the week.)

3). That's where the reviews are. Until I have a chance to convert them to PEv3 - we need to go to PEv2 for the 4,000+ reviews.
    Regards,

Duncan

Duncan, I think you should just pull the plug on Jan. 1, 2013 at 00:01 am. Just do it. Get er done .

I can adapt well enough. I just don't like the new board, as I find it very cumbersome, over-complicated, and considerably less immediate than the old board. When you don't have a huge amount of time in the day to persue what's happening here that's important. And thank you to all those who suggest the only reason I might mention this is because I simply 'want to complain' about something. Tell you what, next time I discover something that Iused to enjoy a great deal, but has ben altered in a manner that is not to my taste I'll keep my mouth shut and humbly suggest that you do the same.

Duncan, I think you should just pull the plug on Jan. 1, 2013 at 00:01 am. Just do it. Get er done .
    I was thinking of midnight on 12/21 ... to coincide with the end of the world!

(Kidding)
    Regards,

Duncan

Two easy ways to use the new board - go to "new posts" or "new group messages". You'll get all the hot topics right there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm actually enjoying the new board more than I initially thought I would. Some of the differences make things easier for me to zero in on what I'm after. For example, the relative timestamps are much more meaningful to me than the whacked out GMT timestamps on V2.

Sure, the trading facility isn't as good as the old one, but overall, I'm enjoying V3 just fine.

Thanks to all who made the transition as smooth as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I can adapt well enough. I just don't like the new board, as I find it very cumbersome, over-complicated, and considerably less immediate than the old board. When you don't have a huge amount of time in the day to persue what's happening here that's important. And thank you to all those who suggest the only reason I might mention this is because I simply 'want to complain' about something. Tell you what, next time I discover something that Iused to enjoy a great deal, but has ben altered in a manner that is not to my taste I'll keep my mouth shut and humbly suggest that you do the same.
    Yeah, I have to agree. Even when I do have time to post here, I rarely do. The site just doesn't "invite" me to do so. There are forums I have opened maybe once. There are way too many threads for me to try to keep up with. I have come to loathe the "group" feature. I truly feel this new board is designed for forum junkies, of which I am not. Long live PE in whatever form it takes, but I have become a fringe member now. Hell, February will mark my 10-year anniversary as a member, so you gotta figure I'd get bored eventually.

(note: I am posting this here and will most likely forget where I posted, thus not making me want to engage in further conversation on the topic. I feel that way about every thread I have posted in on this new board with the exception of maybe 2 or 3. That, to me, is this site's biggest problem.)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree. Even when I do have time to post here, I rarely do. The site just doesn't "invite" me to do so. There are forums I have opened maybe once. There are way too many threads for me to try to keep up with. I have come to loathe the "group" feature. I truly feel this new board is designed for forum junkies, of which I am not. Long live PE in whatever form it takes, but I have become a fringe member now. Hell, February will mark my 10-year anniversary as a member, so you gotta figure I'd get bored eventually.

(note: I am posting this here and will most likely forget where I posted, thus not making me want to engage in further conversation on the topic. I feel that way about every thread I have posted in on this new board with the exception of maybe 2 or 3. That, to me, is this site's biggest problem.)

PS: You don't have to understand it Vic, just accept it as the opinion of certain members here. In fact, the older members seem to like this forum less than the "second wave" members who joined more recently. I do not think that is a mere coincidence.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Get into the habit of "subscribing" to threads - then you won't have to remember where your posts are.

I'm tracking my posts in a few dozen different threads. I couldn't tell you what forum they're in, and I don't need to know either.

Pretty easy, really...
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Get into the habit of "subscribing" to threads - then you won't have to remember where your posts are.

I'm tracking my posts in a few dozen different threads. I couldn't tell you what forum they're in, and I don't need to know either.

Pretty easy, really...
    This is what I do, I go to Setting whenever I first get here & it shows all the threads I've posted in where there are new posts. Dead easy.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

If you're not here, please identify yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

PS: You don't have to understand it Vic, just accept it as the opinion of certain members here. In fact, the older members seem to like this forum less than the "second wave" members who joined more recently. I do not think that is a mere coincidence.
    At first there was a bit of confusion. What thread did I post that on? What forum? WTF? I mainly stick to "New Posts." From there I'll check 3 or 4 threads in total (main board, site matters, WOT, and OT Music). I haven't gotten into all the extra features (groups, subscribing to theads, RSS Feeds, Chat). The simpler the better. I'm glad the birthday threads have their own forum. Great idea. I'm kind of on the fringe myself. I haven't even tried starting a thread. Okay so it'll take some time for some people to get used to it.