Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens

Have just been watching some live footage on You Tube. Cant believe how similar his voice is to Peter Gabriel's & wonder if Gabe has ever cited him as an influence!
    His album Foreigner has a lenghy suite which Coldplay were accused of plaigarising!
    What are peoples thoughts on the Foreigner album, or indeed his catalogue?

Steven Georgiou wrote some wonderful tunes back in his heyday -- the soundtrack to Harold & Maude perfectly captures the milieu. The story of his career, if I remember correctly, is that he started out as a run of the mill folksinger then got very very sick with some viral infection or something, spent months in the hospital and when he emerged he had a whole new sound. Never thought he sounded anything like Gabriel. Gabriel is at heart a soul singer, he phrases and forms like a gospel singer or somebody from Motown. Stevens has none of that influence. After Stevens renounced music and converted to Islam he lost me. He was possibly the ONE voice who should have spoken out after 9/11, denouncing the fundamentalists as anti-Islam and anti-humanity and when he did not, I lost all respect for him.

Jon Neudorf
    Have yet to hear Foreigner but absolutely love "Tillerman", "Teaser" and "Catch Bull At Four". One of my favourite '70s artists.

Regards,
    Jon

Banned
    Peter Gabriel is credited for flute on Cat Stevens' 1970 album Mona Bone Jakon.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Steven Georgiou wrote some wonderful tunes back in his heyday -- the soundtrack to Harold & Maude perfectly captures the milieu. The story of his career, if I remember correctly, is that he started out as a run of the mill folksinger then got very very sick with some viral infection or something, spent months in the hospital and when he emerged he had a whole new sound. Never thought he sounded anything like Gabriel. Gabriel is at heart a soul singer, he phrases and forms like a gospel singer or somebody from Motown. Stevens has none of that influence. After Stevens renounced music and converted to Islam he lost me. He was possibly the ONE voice who should have spoken out after 9/11, denouncing the fundamentalists as anti-Islam and anti-humanity and when he did not, I lost all respect for him.
    I never noticed any similiarities before i just watched the You Tube footage of him performing the Foreigner Suite, he even talks like him when introducing the song . The Foreigner was influenced by his love of early black soul/ R & B music , which also influenced Gabriel !

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Never knew that bit of trivia ! Gabriel was an unknown then so wonder how that came about ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    He was possibly the ONE voice who should have spoken out after 9/11, denouncing the fundamentalists as anti-Islam and anti-humanity and when he did not, I lost all respect for him.
    He did. You missed it.

Banned
    For anyone who has no problem with Yusuf Islam, such as myself, I highly recommend the Majikat Tour 1976 DVD. One of the best concert videos from that era that I've ever seen...

Banned
    I always thought he sounded more like Dave Cousins. Anyway, probably at his proggiest sounding thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    his love of early black soul/ R & B music
    As evidenced by "Another Saturday Night."

wonder if Gabe has ever cited him as an influence!
    Here ya go-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I always associated Cat with Ian Anderson, believe it or not. Not that they sing the same, or write the same, or look the same, but there's a subtle thing about them that's the same. It's hard to explain.

Cat has always been one of my all time favorites. His Teaser and the Firecat album was the start of my long (and expensive) obsession with music. I think I have all of his albums, including a vinyl version of "Saturnight" which was a concert he gave in Japan in 1974. His interest in Zen (the title Catch Bull at Four was taken from the Zen 10 stages of enlightenment) led me to my own interest in Zen Buddhism. His was also the first rock concert I attended in 1976...the Majicat concert video was recorded about three weeks after I saw him, and still ranks as one of the best shows I have seen. As Yusuf Islam he still continues to record and has put out two very good albums, An Other Cup and Roadsinger.

To the OP: I think that the Foreigner album is the weakest of his popular run of albums.

My personal favorite is "Catch Bull at Four". I do love "Teaser & The Firecat", "Buddah & The Chocolate Box" and "Tea for the Tillerman" too.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I always associated Cat with Ian Anderson, believe it or not. Not that they sing the same, or write the same, or look the same, but there's a subtle thing about them that's the same. It's hard to explain.
    I hear it, man. But I think for me, it's the vocals on Heavy Horses remind me of the vocals on Catch Bull.

Banned

For the curious, this is the song that features Peter Gabriel on flute. I believe Gabriel's involvement with Cat has something to do with Paul Samwell-Smith's work on The Jackson Tapes.

He did. You missed it.
    I stand corrected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuf Islam
    What About 9/11 and Terrorism?

Like all right-minded people, I absolutely condemn all acts of terrorism, including the attacks of 9/11 and 7/7. The actions of the terrorists were completely un-Islamic and against the teachings and example of the Prophet. It’s everybody’s responsibility to make this world a safer, more peaceful place.

I do believe that some people in the West have a hard time today in decoding the spiritual message of peace which exists behind certain bloodcurdling events and headlines which are branded abroad in the name of Islam. There are obviously minority elements amongst certain quarters, both Muslim and non-Muslim, which actually go out to misinterpret the facts and pass by the true shining principles of this religion.

Out of one billion peace-loving Muslims, some vociferous extremists, unfortunately, have helped to confirm some people’s worst fears. I feel sorry for that. It’s grossly unfair for the vast majority of humankind who still have yet to benefit from what this wonderful spiritual code of life (Islam or entry to peace with God) can offer.

I was among the first Muslims to publicly express my sorrow and objections to the atrocious attacks against innocent victims of 9/11 and 7/7. No right thinking follower of Islam could possibly condone such an action: the Qur’an, as with the Old Testament – equates the murder of one innocent person with the murder of “the whole of humanity. In my statement printed widely at the time, I said:
    “We pray for the families of all those who lost their lives in this unthinkable act of violence as well as all those injured; I hope to reflect the feelings of all Muslims and people around the world whose sympathies go out to the victims at this sorrowful moment.”

Half of the royalties from my box set released in 2001 went to September 11 charities and I performed Peace Train projected live at a solidarity concert at New York’s Radio City Hall.

The real enemy we face is ignorance. We must all be careful not to join the ranks of that army. We must warn of the hazards that this terrifying event could produce as a tool for some dangerous ideologists to promote increased intolerance and hostility against more civilian bystanders; this would equal the mentality which caused two previously devastating world wars. Patience, therefore, is called for by all influential quarters, particularly politicians and media.

Pop genius
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Never knew that bit of trivia ! Gabriel was an unknown then so wonder how that came about ?

I wouldn't say "unknown" even though that's probably not too far from the truth. He was in Genesis at that time and while they had yet to break big by then they were playing gigs so it was probably something that came about through management or through their label.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I hear it, man. But I think for me, it's the vocals on Heavy Horses remind me of the vocals on Catch Bull.
    Wow, some of you guys have very strong intuition(both with the PG and IA thing).

Gerry Conway who was Cat Steven's drummer also played drums with Jethro Tull(in the early 80's).

Banned
    Any love for Buddha And The Chocolate Box? I got that on vinyl today at FYE for $5.99. I haven't had a chance to listen to it.

I still love much of his early work ( although too much, is def. too much ;-) ). His music was a very welcome addition to my parent's meager record collection in the early 70's. His brother and law started working with my father in Vienna which led to my folks going to see Cat Stevens in concert on a a couple of occasions.

Off topic but his sister and brother and law were/are two of the nicest folks anyone could ever meet. They had no children and spent considerable time at our home and with our family on day trips. They always brought us kids candy. Back in the early 80's I spent a couple of days visiting with them in England and hanging out with their nephew who was my age after visiting my dad in Japan. The nephew and I went and ate at the family restaurant during non-hours that Anita and Steven's folks had owned, and as far as I know, is still owned by the family. I got as close to Yusuf as the outer office of the meager-looking penthouse where he and his family lived. Steven married a Muslim woman, and between that and probably over-whelming fame and looking for a place to "be", I can see how he got to where he is now.

Carly Simon's song Anticipation was written about her up-coming date with Steven back in the day, btw. A couple years ago, Yusuf made is first appearance in years on a Chris Issac music and interview show ( I will see if I can post a link-sadly I can't find the entire show). But he also made news where he wasn't allowed out of the airport 10 min.s from my house as he was on the No-Fly list and sent back home. A unique guy with a one of a kind voice ( in my opinion-although just two days ago I did hear a song which the singer seemed to be channeling/copying Cat). His music changed my life and, to this day, Harold and Maude is still my bother's favorite movie of all time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > Originally Posted by Yusuf Islam

Wow! I missed it too, when Yusuf Islam posted here on PE. Amazing!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I still love much of his early work ( although too much, is def. too much ;-) ). His music was a very welcome addition to my parent's meager record collection in the early 70's. His brother and law started working with my father in Vienna which led to my folks going to see Cat Stevens in concert on a a couple of occasions.

Off topic but his sister and brother and law were/are two of the nicest folks anyone could ever meet. They had no children and spent considerable time at our home and with our family on day trips. They always brought us kids candy. Back in the early 80's I spent a couple of days visiting with them in England and hanging out with their nephew who was my age after visiting my dad in Japan. The nephew and I went and ate at the family restaurant during non-hours that Anita and Steven's folks had owned, and as far as I know, is still owned by the family. I got as close to Yusuf as the outer office of the meager-looking penthouse where he and his family lived. Steven married a Muslim woman, and between that and probably over-whelming fame and looking for a place to "be", I can see how he got to where he is now.

Carly Simon's song Anticipation was written about her up-coming date with Steven back in the day, btw. A couple years ago, Yusuf made is first appearance in years on a Chris Issac music and interview show ( I will see if I can post a link-sadly I can't find the entire show). But he also made news where he wasn't allowed out of the airport 10 min.s from my house as he was on the No-Fly list and sent back home. A unique guy with a one of a kind voice ( in my opinion-although just two days ago I did hear a song which the singer seemed to be channeling/copying Cat). His music changed my life and, to this day, Harold and Maude is still my bother's favorite movie of all time.
    I'm only saying this because if I don't someone's probably going to come along and point it out in a less kind way. Just so you know, the term is "brother in-law," not "brother and law." I know if you don't see something like that in writing, it's easy to get it wrong.

BTW, that time when Cat Stevens wasn't allowed off the plane and was sent back - Marillion was on that flight too! Steve Hogarth published a diary entry about it but somehow I haven't yet heard it. I need to!