Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Music From Norway: Just how important is it, really?

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Is David Wallumrød from Needlepoint related to Susanna?
    AFAIK, he's the brother of Christian and they're Susanna's cousins. Susanna Wallumrød lives around the corner from my apartment at St. Hanshaugen here in Oslo, btw; I bump into her at the local grocery store regularly. I had to be somewhat drunk to actually dare to tell her just how much I enjoy her music when I recently found myself sitting next to her and her hubby (Helge Sten aka Deathprod, of Motorpsycho and Supersilent fame) at a nearby restaurant a few weeks back. She's a truly beautiful and genuinely talented woman.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Annot Rhül is the project of Sigurd Lühr Tonna.
    They're great, IMO. That latest release of theirs has Lars F. Frøislie (of White Willow, Wobbler and In Lingua Morta) on it.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Suspended
    I have heard a few songs from Gazpacho, via the Kscope "post-progressive podcast". They had kind of gone in one ear and out the other, Tonight however I was listening to some of the old podcasts from about 2011, and was very impressed by a couple of tracks from the album "Missa Atropos".

The guys were being interviewed, and they said Marillion was a big influence on them. i found that interesting, because both these songs sounded far better than anything I have heard from Marillion.

There is also something pleasingly bizarre about a Norwegian band naming themselves after a traditional Spanish dish.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I have heard a few songs from Gazpacho, via the Kscope "post-progressive podcast". They had kind of gone in one ear and out the other, Tonight however I was listening to some of the old podcasts from about 2011, and was very impressed by a couple of tracks from the album "Missa Atropos".

The guys were being interviewed, and they said Marillion was a big influence on them. i found that interesting, because both these songs sounded far better than anything I have heard from Marillion.

There is also something pleasingly bizarre about a Norwegian band naming themselves after a traditional Spanish dish.
    They are more likley named after a Marillion song (named after cold cucumber soup).

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    AFAIK, he's the brother of Christian and they're Susanna's cousins. Susanna Wallumrød lives around the corner from my apartment at St. Hanshaugen here in Oslo, btw; I bump into her at the local grocery store regularly. I had to be somewhat drunk to actually dare to tell her just how much I enjoy her music when I recently found myself sitting next to her and her hubby (Helge Sten aka Deathprod, of Motorpsycho and Supersilent fame) at a nearby restaurant a few weeks back. She's a truly beautiful and genuinely talented woman.
    Yes she is, very much so indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I stayed a few days at Oslo somewhere between St. Hanshaugen and Vigelands Park (Frogner Park) in a very nice Wilhelminian style Villa.
    So you live in a very nice area, I love Oslo (Norway).

c'mon guys, PAGAN'S MIND...

Let's also not forget Fredrik Wallumrød, an incredibly talented drummer and brother of Susanne W. He was once in Norway's rock'n'roll major label hopefuls Span, but thankfully moved on to the far more interesting El Caco, a band that combines the adventurousness of A Perfect Circle with the grooves and swagger of stoner rock. He also frequently appears with the other Wallumrøds. Talented family. Susanne is an amazing talent, I especially like her cover songs. I was a little taken aback, however, when she promptly unfriended me on Facebook after I had the audacity to disagree with her on a political matter. Only time that's ever happened to me. A sensitive soul, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Is David Wallumrød from Needlepoint related to Susanna?
    I believe they are cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    she promptly unfriended me on Facebook after I had the audacity to disagree with her on a political matter. Only time that's ever happened to me. A sensitive soul, I guess.
    Sensitive, you and her both!

For some strange reason I can easily imagine her being someone who'd jump to hasty conclusions. After that occasion when I greeted her at Smalhans (it was Hanukkah and I'd just had the jid chicken), she has somehow appeared a little startled when noting my ubiquitous presence in the neighbourhood - as if possibly thinking herself an object of a stalk...

I'm trying to appear not too visible when I see her coming my way down the sidewalk now.

I always check out the Nordic bands. The Scandinavians IMO helped greatly in the prog revival starting in the early 1990's. Sweden's Anglagard and Anekdoten really kicked of the trend of dark symphonic prog and the reintroduction of the mellotron as a major instrumental icon of the genre. I believe their influence spread to Norway, with groups like White Willow, Wobbler, and Nordagust as examples. So in today's world of prog, I always look northward for some great music.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

BTW, I saw Needlepoint mentioned. I was fortunate enough to get an advance listen to their forthcoming album today, and I can safely say it's the proggiest release either musician has been involved in - lots of hammond and Gentle Giantesque clavinet from David W. My first impression is that it is going to be a really fantastic album.

Some favs of mine I don't think were mentioned...
    The Samuel Jackson Five
    Smell Of Incense
    Seid
    In The Woods...
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Needlepoint live 2015

I'm quite fond of Kings Of Convenience.

(Not Prog. But still very good.)

That said, Wobbler, White Willow and Magic Pie are very high on my list of favorite bands!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Was Tord Gustavsen mentioned ?
    New album: What Was Said is of great beauty after hearing this teaser:

Using old Norwegian melodies is something that was done the same way by two female singers from Norway:

Beate S. Lech (former Beady Bell-singer): Min Song Og Hjarteskatt:

and Anita Skorgan: På Gyllen Grunn (next post)

Anita Skorgan: På Gyllen Grunn

Bookmarking for further investigation.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Great bands from the Seventies
    Popol Vuh/Ace
    Host
    Hole in the Wall
    Junipher Green

Alongside the already mentioned Aunt Mary, Ruphus and Deja Vu.

Scrotum Scissor is a groupie of all of these bands mentioned. He acquired VD (Viking disease) years ago because he refused to wear his helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Anita Skorgan: På Gyllen Grunn
    She is the ex-wife of Popol Vuh/Popol Ace singer Jahn Teigen, who also according to legend auditioned for Genesis after Gabriel's departure. But then who didn't?

The state of education as a whole in the United States is nothing short of a continuing black comedy that is on the road to becoming a tragedy. Profiteering by a few championed as a "return to values" by a parade of willful idiots. The only goal of American education seems to be the churning out of a few stockbrokers and bankers, too many lawyers and a large number of drone workers and cannon-fodder for corporate empire-building.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    The state of education as a whole in the United States is nothing short of a continuing black comedy that is on the road to becoming a tragedy. Profiteering by a few championed as a "return to values" by a parade of willful idiots. The only goal of American education seems to be the churning out of a few stockbrokers and bankers, too many lawyers and a large number of drone workers and cannon-fodder for corporate empire-building.
    I don't disagree, but what does that have to do with music from Norway?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Norway ruined the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They see a worth from investing in arts education while the United States no longer does. It's seen as a waste of money to invest in something that many think of as merely a hobby.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet