Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fish Reissue Plans and some Feast Updates

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Fish Reissue Plans and some Feast Updates

Thought this email from Fish was interesting - I didn't realize that Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors was oop. Looks like Field of Crows is oop too.

Re Release plans for 2014 and updates

I have been asked about the vinyl release of "Feast of Consequences" and other re releases which I had considered putting out this year.

With the delay in the writing and recording of the album earlier in 2013 I didn't have the time to look at the repackaging of the catalogue, the new album rightfully taking precedent.

The debacle surrounding the delivery to us of the deluxe versions and the subsequent chaos as we scrambled to rectify the situation threw the vinyl version out of it's scheduled release in November as it would have meant putting unnecessary stress on our mail order service just as we were getting back on our feet after the October mess created by the manufacturers. I made the decision to delay the release until early next year.

I have been sitting on the superb Chris Kimsey remixed and Calum Malcolm remastered "Field of Crows" for over 6 months now and have been waiting on an opportunity to get to grips with a package that's interesting and attractive to compliment the new album version.

Likewise the re release of a repackaged "Vigil" ,that is now becoming difficult to find in it's original format, also demands my attention especially with the resurgence in interest in my solo career since the hugely positive reviews of "Feast" across the board.
    I had discussions with EMI ( who still own the copyright) a while ago and they were supportive and amenable to my plans for a new package. However since then that company have been taken over and there are new players involved. I will have to come to a new arrangement with the current owners of the copyrights in order to license the material from them. In an ideal world I would like to gain control of the album but I don't think the company will relinquish their ownership and it will come down to a licensing deal. There's not much they can do with it as it's a stand alone album so we will have to work together if it is going to be re released.

I'd like to have "Field of Crows" and "Vigil" released before the May UK tour so they can run alongside the continuing promotion of "Feast" and benefit from the exposure. Both albums will have vinyl versions.

In the relatively quiet period after New Year I will have time to assemble all the elements I'd like to use to create something special with both titles.

I'm also going to have a dig about in my tape library and put together a costing for a potential remix from the multi tracks I have for "Raingods with Zippos" in the Summer. It's hard to say at this point as I have no idea what I have to play with but the entire catalogue of solo albums will come up for re examination during the year as the "Feast of Consequences" album is supported by continuing touring and promotion. I'd like to think that by the end of next year all 10 solo albums will be out there in definitive versions.

It's about time I brought the catalogue together and with a new publishing deal on the horizon there's no better time than now to consolidate the catalogue. It's going to be a lot of work but I think it will be interesting and quite exciting to polish up the albums and get them out on display again!

I've been asked by Elspeth at the office to ask you to please put your order numbers in any e mail you send to the office regarding any queries. It really helps us out as some of the orders have no addresses on them and to save time and e mails back and forward please make sure you include your order number.

The only blight on the landscape was news from manufacturers MPO of further delays in delivery of the "Feast of Consequences" standard CD's which have been derailed by printing issues at quality control. We should have had them at the beginning of the week and I am now told they will be arriving next Monday. This has been an exasperating and energy sapping project to deal with and I cannot remember so many fuck ups at manufacturing level in all my years as an independent. They will be with us next week and we will be able to get albums out to people in time for Christmas. Ironically we have enough of the deluxe editions and that stock is healthy with a further order in the process of being fulfilled.

this guy goes on & on about everything - can he ever just get to the point?
    who gives a crap about the granular details about his manufacturer and so on

I do actually - you can always just stop reading. I agree he often goes on for a long time, but you can always scan for what you're interested in and stop when you've got the info you need. The emails are really meant for people who subscribe to them, follow what's going on with his career, and in some cases preordered new albums, etc. and therefore may be interested in the details.

I get his updates on Facebook and really find them irritating, I should probably unsubscribe. Too much!

He is Fish.
    Some of us still respect him.
    I'm interested as a fan and musician.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Giving information to his fans? The nerve of that guy!

Almost two years later, the first two "new" remasters just went on sale:

(I think they're actually the same size in real life!)

http://shop.fishheads.club/product/s...tered-box-set/
    http://shop.fishheads.club/product/r...tered-box-set/

SUNSETS info:

Hardcover book (140 x 126mm) with 3 CD’s in wallets ( 2 floating, 1 glued) and 48 pages original illustrations and artwork with photos and approx 9000 words of original sleeve notes written by Fish about the background of the album, the writing and recording and lyric explanations and the subsequent touring.

CD1
    Tracklisting as on the original album
    CD 2
    6.38 Goldfish and Clowns
    6.59 Sunsets on Empire
    5.55 What Colour is God
    6.10 Do Not Walk Outside this Area
    8.44 Perception of Johnny Punter
    4.10 Say it With Flowers
    The tracks above are all demos with Steven Wilson
    8.37 Perception of Johnny Punter – USA version with changed lyrics on front section to satisfy a nervous record company concerned about allegations of racism.
    6.24 Do not walk Outside This Area (bonus track Japan – full recorded version)
    4.01 Tara (radio edit)
    4.11 Goldfish and Clowns (Radio edit)
    7.04 What Colour is God (re-mix)
    Total 61.59
    CD 3 Live
    3.43 Change of Heart (from “Communion” St Mary’s Church, Haddington)
    5.28 Tara (from “Communion” St Mary’s Church, Haddington 2006)
    5.20 Worm in a Bottle ( from Haddington Corn Exchange, Company Convention 1998)
    6.46 Goldfish and Clowns (Poland 97)
    8.30 Jungle Ride (Poland 97)
    11.15 Perception of Johnny Punter (Poland 97)
    5.50 What Colour is God (Poland 97)
    6.02 Brother 52 (Poland 97)
    The Polish recordings are the multi track versions taken from the DVD “Live in Poland” not released previously on CD. They are for me the best performances captured of these songs
    8.46 Sunsets on Empire (from “Sashimi” 1999 recorded in Poznan)
    Total 61.40
    The entire collection of songs was Re-mastered by Calum Malcolm (2015) and will be in 16 bit stereo.

RAINGODS info:
    Hardcover book (140 x 126mm) with 3 CD’s in wallets ( 2 floating, 1
    glued) and 48 pages original illustrations and artwork with photos and approx 9000 words of original sleeve notes written by Fish about the background of the album, the writing and recording and lyric explanations and the subsequent touring.

CD1
    Tracklisting as on the original album
    CD2
    23.09 Plague of Ghosts (live studio instrumental pre production)
    14.19 All These Christs (Tony Turrell instrumental demo that contains most of the sections that would become “Plague of Ghosts”)
    28.42 Plague of Ghosts (from “Sashimi” live in Poznan, Poland 1999)
    Total 66.10
    CD3
    3.40 Incomplete (acoustic Demo with Elisabeth Troy from Chateau Marouatte session , the first writing for “Raingods” in 1998)
    4.52 Chasing Miss Pretty (studio version from “Kettle of Fish” compilation written during Chateau Marouatte session)
    4.36 Mr Buttons (studio version from “Kettle of Fish” compilation written during Chateau Marouatte session)
    Live
    4.21 Tilted Cross ( acoustic version from “Communion” recorded at St Mary’s Church, Haddington 2006)
    4.06 Incomplete (acoustic version from “Communion” recorded at St Mary’s Church, Haddington 2006)
    5.58 Rites of passage (acoustic version from “Communion” recorded at St Mary’s Church, Haddington 2006)
    6.15 Tumbledown (from “Candlelight in Fog” USA 2000)
    35.36 Plague of Ghosts (from “Candlelight in Fog” 2000)
    Total 69.24
    The entire collection of songs WAS remastered by Calum Malcolm (2015) and will be in 16 bit stereo.

Seems like I have most of the bonus stuff already, but I'm in it for the Images and Words...so to speak.

Yeah, same here - the demos are the only things I don't have, and those will probably be the most interesting. The audio from the Polish Sunsets shows will be nice to have, but I would have preferred those complete shows on CD or download. I wish Fish would get a bit more extensive with the downloads on offer, and at least release the audio from some of the videos he's released over the years, especially the stuff that was never released on DVD.

These look tasty!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    I get his updates on Facebook and really find them irritating, I should probably unsubscribe. Too much!
    I am the complete opposite. I find his writing and insights to be very entertaining most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am the complete opposite. I find his writing and insights to be very entertaining most of the time.
    If you don't Like them or pay much attention to them, doesn't Facebook sort of taper them off? Seems that way to me. I like to get them because that's where he seems to let people know about new releases, even those those are somewhat rare.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As do I.

I think my order has been on its way for weeks now...

Apparently my order was lost. Elspeth sent replacements which reached me in just a few days!

Just had a quick look through and fondle of the Sunsets set. Beautiful, though I'm now wondering what art from the original isn't in it. Maybe none - not sure. But it looks great.

Looking at the credits, I had I guess - and I feel bad about this - that JJ Belle who played guitar on some of the U.S. (and other?) dates on this tour died of cancer in 2004. I really liked his guitar work on the tour, and he seemed like a nice guy. I remember he popped out to chat with people on line at one of the shows. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Apparently my order was lost. Elspeth sent replacements which reached me in just a few days!

Just had a quick look through and fondle of the Sunsets set. Beautiful, though I'm now wondering what art from the original isn't in it. Maybe none - not sure. But it looks great.

Looking at the credits, I had I guess - and I feel bad about this - that JJ Belle who played guitar on some of the U.S. (and other?) dates on this tour died of cancer in 2004. I really liked his guitar work on the tour, and he seemed like a nice guy. I remember he popped out to chat with people on line at one of the shows. Very sad.
    Tell me about it.

To this day, I think he's my favorite Fish guitarist not named Rothery (Aside from Frank Usher's live solo in Cliche). I thought the guy was amazing. He was the US Tour guitarist for the Sunsets Tour. I was shocked and very said when Fish wrote that he died back then. He was such a nice guy. I never found out what other projects he may have been involved with sadly.

Fish has had one or two dodgy keyboard players, but he's always seemed to have kickass guitar players.

Fish has had one or two dodgy keyboard players, but he's always seemed to have kickass guitar players.
    Aside from JJ, I've not been overly fond of Fish's (solo) guitarists.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I think Frank Usher and Jon Wesley are great, and great with Fish. Was listening to Wesley's most recent solo album the other day; he's got a great tone, and plays excellent solos.

I think Frank Usher and Jon Wesley are great, and great with Fish. Was listening to Wesley's most recent solo album the other day; he's got a great tone, and plays excellent solos.
    Definitely NOT a fan of John Wesley's work (solo or otherwise.)

Definitely NOT a fan of John Wesley's work (solo or otherwise.)
    You do know Alwx Lifeson guests on his most recent album, right?

You do know Alwx Lifeson guests on his most recent album, right?
    Yes, I know that.

Yes, I know that.
    Ok..........just checking!

I actually think Lilypad Suite is the best of Wesley's music that I've heard.

I have most of Wesley's solo stuff and like them all. I think he is a very under rated artist.

I forgot to mention Steven Wilson. Was listening to the Sunsets on Empire remaster this morning, and I'm not sure if it's Wesley or Wilson playing the solo on Perceptions of Johnny Punter, but man that's a great solo.