Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Step Forward and Identify Yourself

Welcome in, Tanglewood Grey!

Yes, indeed, welcome, Tanglewood Grey. Have fun.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Welcome aboard!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Welcome! You've passed the initiation hazing. Hey, have you ever gone to ProgDay, in Chapel Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Welcome! You've passed the initiation hazing. Hey, have you ever gone to ProgDay, in Chapel Hill?
    Thanks guys!!
    No I have not, I’ve only lived in NC about seven years. Job and perpetual lack of $$ always seem to get in the way. It would be a little road trip for me, and I’d want to enlist a friend for travel companion. I’ve heard lots of great things about it though.
    Still stinging a bit that when Dream Theater rearranged their winter tour, which was supposed to hit Charlotte around 12/03/21, they rescheduled their one NC date to be in Raleigh. Sorry Charlotte! Ugh!!! Couldn’t make it, so I’ll load up some DT dvds and have myself a little living room concert. Yay.

Welcome Tanglewood Grey

Tanglewood, isn't that a music school, where Jurriaan Andriessen studied?

Have some keyboards, midi-stuff and soft synths, can't really play, just compose, or at least I think I can.

Hello there from Norway.

I've been lurking several months now and figured that this forum is interesting enough to validate a membership. I wasn't aware of this forum until someone mentioned it on the PA forum.

My first prog rock experience that I can remember was Deadwing. From there followed a lot of listening to Porcupine Tree, Tool, Radiohead and other bands of a more recent age. At some point I started to traverse the path of most prog discoverers by going back to the 60s and working myself back to 2022. These days I primarily listen to music discovered the last few years, which can be from the 1968 or 2022, but most is newer music.

Progarchives was an important discovery, and I've found so much great music there. When someone mentioned PE (is that how you abbreviate this place?), I was looking to discover something new, and I have been rewarded. My impression so far is that this forum live by the title, "Progressive Ears", because there is so much more than your typical prog rock in here. Music most wouldn't think to call prog rock. I think you truly live up to the word "progressive ears", and it's very interesting to explore new genres and music I couldn't even categorize. The PA forum is great, but there is a bit too much discussion about existing music. PF, Yes, Genesis, the old guard, in polls and analysis of albums. I love those bands and have listened a lot to them, but I'm always looking for something new, something fresh. I want to be amazed, to make new discoveries. It's the same with movies. I can't stand superhero or run-of-the-mill action movies featuring Statham, The Rock etc., but love quirky, strange movies that do something new and different. I don't want to watch the same clichés in a different setting time and time again.

If I stick to listening to music that easily can be put in the same box as dozens of other bands, I'm not progressing. Not that progressing in itself is important, but I need it. When I check out new music in the genres I've mostly listened to before (symphonic, neo, crossover), I more easily get bored now. These days I listen more to RIO/Avant, jazz, fusion and music I can't categorize. This forum is just a fenomenal place to be for me right now. Not that I can't find that on PA, I've picked up a lot of music based on Ian's (Nogbad) lists of favorites, but I find a lot more here.

It feels like a leap in my progressive journey, and it's such a thrill when the music clicks.

Well, you probably got more interesting things to read, so I'll leave it at that. I look forward to the music and the discussions.

PS: I don't play anything myself. I had a pretty, white Ibanez JEM for 10 years without getting anywhere. Don't have the time and patience and have given up learning to play anything. I'll spend that time listening instead.

Welcome in!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Welcome!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Welcome aboard the PE train. Enjoy the ride.

Welcome aboard.

I have inherited a tenor banjo, which I can't play, but I try to incorporate it in my music.

Hello, I've been lurking since December 1999. Interesting place.
    Last edited by Lino; 07-28-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Hello, I've been lurkimng since December 1999. Interesting place.
    Happy Birthday, you lurker you
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Happy Birthday, you lurker you
    hahahaha Cheers!

OK we're rollin a bit now...
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    OK we're rollin a bit now...
    VITO!!

Any relation to Blue Vino?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    VITO!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
    Hello there from Norway.

I've been lurking several months now and figured that this forum is interesting enough to validate a membership. I wasn't aware of this forum until someone mentioned it on the PA forum.

My first prog rock experience that I can remember was Deadwing. From there followed a lot of listening to Porcupine Tree, Tool, Radiohead and other bands of a more recent age. At some point I started to traverse the path of most prog discoverers by going back to the 60s and working myself back to 2022. These days I primarily listen to music discovered the last few years, which can be from the 1968 or 2022, but most is newer music.

Progarchives was an important discovery, and I've found so much great music there. When someone mentioned PE (is that how you abbreviate this place?), I was looking to discover something new, and I have been rewarded. My impression so far is that this forum live by the title, "Progressive Ears", because there is so much more than your typical prog rock in here. Music most wouldn't think to call prog rock. I think you truly live up to the word "progressive ears", and it's very interesting to explore new genres and music I couldn't even categorize. The PA forum is great, but there is a bit too much discussion about existing music. PF, Yes, Genesis, the old guard, in polls and analysis of albums. I love those bands and have listened a lot to them, but I'm always looking for something new, something fresh. I want to be amazed, to make new discoveries. It's the same with movies. I can't stand superhero or run-of-the-mill action movies featuring Statham, The Rock etc., but love quirky, strange movies that do something new and different. I don't want to watch the same clichés in a different setting time and time again.

If I stick to listening to music that easily can be put in the same box as dozens of other bands, I'm not progressing. Not that progressing in itself is important, but I need it. When I check out new music in the genres I've mostly listened to before (symphonic, neo, crossover), I more easily get bored now. These days I listen more to RIO/Avant, jazz, fusion and music I can't categorize. This forum is just a fenomenal place to be for me right now. Not that I can't find that on PA, I've picked up a lot of music based on Ian's (Nogbad) lists of favorites, but I find a lot more here.

It feels like a leap in my progressive journey, and it's such a thrill when the music clicks.

Well, you probably got more interesting things to read, so I'll leave it at that. I look forward to the music and the discussions.

PS: I don't play anything myself. I had a pretty, white Ibanez JEM for 10 years without getting anywhere. Don't have the time and patience and have given up learning to play anything. I'll spend that time listening instead.
    Skjera Bagera!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"